Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

The rich already pay more than their fair share. Almost half of Americans pay no income tax. It's the non-tax payers who are unpatriotic. In fact many of the same people who pay no income tax want to keep raising taxes on everyone else. Easy for them to say, they have no skin in the game.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The rich already pay more than their fair share. Almost half of Americans pay no income tax. It's the non-tax payers who are unpatriotic. In fact many of the same people who pay no income tax want to keep raising taxes on everyone else. Easy for them to say, they have no skin in the game.
So the payroll taxes paid by 100% of the working population aren't skin in the game? Very, very few people don't pay payroll taxes.

Why do you ignore payroll taxes when they account for a higher percentage of government income than income tax?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Enough of this canard which it seems many have adopted against their own interests. Idiocy at its finest.

How about looking at the percentage of wealth paid in taxes by the rich compared to everyone else?

While the rich pay 40% of the taxes, they pay a VERY small percentage of their actual wealth while the middle class pays a very HIGH percentage of their actual wealth in taxes.

Also MOST taxes are in the form of payroll taxes... SS and Medicare deductions. In those taxes the poor and middle class pay most AND pay a much higher proportion of their income and wealth

People realize that their likely NOT going to be rich some day. Stop defending the 250K a year you are never going to earn.
more rubbish. you are talking about taxing wealth, not income. which means you just want to destroy those that create the wealth in this country.

as for the payroll taxes paid by those that collect a salary, most of the people that pay those taxes get the majority of them back through tax returns at the end of the year, what with all the tax credits and tax deductions available to the people.

as for what i earn or dont earn, it doesnt matter. i dont care if someone else makes 5 times, or 500 times what i earn. that is their business not mine, and i wont begrudge anyone who goes out and works for a living, be they a ditch digger making minimum wage, or the CEO of a multinational corporation making $500 million per year. it is the small business owner in this country though that will be hurt if we raise taxes on those that make more than $250,000 per year, and that will trickle down to those that earn a paycheck when they get laid off, or dont get the raise they wanted, or get their hours cut, all because liberals and progressives want to raise the taxes of the small business owner to ostensibly increase tax revenues to the government.

remember the phrase "the power to tax is the power to destroy"? as i have said many times, and it has been proven many times by using the CBOs OWN numbers, when taxes go up, the economy slows down, and the tax base shrinks. why is this you ask? good question. what happens in that business owners will cut payroll, and other expenses, so that they can try to maintain their profit margins, slim as they are. remember that a business is not there to create jobs, but rather to make money. as a result of making money, a business will tend to expand. but take away that money, through taxes or regulations, and the business will tend to contract.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM

589 posts, read 376,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Only taxpayers should be able to vote, not the others.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
more rubbish. you are talking about taxing wealth, not income. which means you just want to destroy those that create the wealth in this country.
You'd to be a hysterical nut to believe that I want that-- or anyone else would either. Stop listening to RushGlenn and start actually listening to people. I referenced the % of wealth paid... I did not talk about taxing wealth nor did I talk about destroying anyone.

Quote:
as for the payroll taxes paid by those that collect a salary, most of the people that pay those taxes get the majority of them back through tax returns at the end of the year, what with all the tax credits and tax deductions available to the people.
Actually it's the income taxes that get refunded, not the payroll taxes. But please, don't let being wrong stop you from pontificating.

Quote:
it is the small business owner in this country though that will be hurt if we raise taxes on those that make more than $250,000 per year, and that will trickle down to those that earn a paycheck when they get laid off, or dont get the raise they wanted, or get their hours cut, all because liberals and progressives want to raise the taxes of the small business owner to ostensibly increase tax revenues to the government.
Trickle down economics has long been disproven. If it did work-- since the taxes on the wealthy are at historical low points, where is the trickle!?!?!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Only taxpayers should be able to vote, not the others.
So you want to take the vote away from Grandma?

Why not just have death panels?

Voting is an absolute fundamental right in our society. Shame on you. Talk about unAmerican...

Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM

589 posts, read 376,604 times
Quote:
So you want to take the vote away from Grandma?

Why not just have death panels?

Voting is an absolute fundamental right in our society. Shame on you. Talk about unAmerican...
No, retirees work during their entire life, they deserve to have this right.
But people between 18-64 yo should have this right only if they pay taxes.Because in voting they can decide more taxes, no problemo for them because they don't pay them.We can call these people "thiefs"
Only taxpayers should decide where go their money

Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
No, retirees work during their entire life, they deserve to have this right.
But people between 18-64 yo should have this right only if they pay taxes.Because in voting they can decide more taxes, no problemo for them because they don't pay them.We can call these people "thiefs"
Only taxpayers should decide where go their money
Ok, so you want to take voting rights away from 45 year old disabled people then? What about the wealthy, non-working? How about college students?

Maybe only Republicans should be able to vote?

Absurd, ridiculous and Antithetical to everything this country was based on. Typical Tea Party conservative blather.

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Enough of this canard which it seems many have adopted against their own interests. Idiocy at its finest.

How about looking at the percentage of wealth paid in taxes by the rich compared to everyone else?

While the rich pay 40% of the taxes, they pay a VERY small percentage of their actual wealth while the middle class pays a very HIGH percentage of their actual wealth in taxes.

Also MOST taxes are in the form of payroll taxes... SS and Medicare deductions. In those taxes the poor and middle class pay most AND pay a much higher proportion of their income and wealth

People realize that their likely NOT going to be rich some day. Stop defending the 250K a year you are never going to earn.
1. Just because someone makes 250K a year and I don't why should I believe that gives me a right to take it away from them?

2. You are SUPPOSED to pay into your OWN social Security, why do you think someone else should support you?

3. There are people who get MORE back in federal taxes then they pay, I believe that offsets the amount they pay in SS and medicare.

Lastly, I spend 10 years of my life in the U.S. Submarine forces defending everyone, whether they made 250K or 10K.

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
MR. GIBSON: And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased. The government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down. So why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected?

SENATOR OBAMA: Well, Charlie, what I've said is that I would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies