Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

A common thing I hear from conservatives is that taxation is a form of theft, but those same conservatives make exceptions to that (like law enforcement, military etc) But if taxing is forcibly taking money from one group of people and giving it to another then how can you justify taxes at all--even for the military? To me that's inconsistent. Either taxation is theft or it isn't. Taxation is either right or it is wrong. How do you explain this?

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A common thing I hear from conservatives is that taxation is a form of theft, but those same conservatives make exceptions to that (like law enforcement, military etc) But if taxing is forcibly taking money from one group of people and giving it to another then how can you justify taxes at all--even for the military? To me that's inconsistent. Either taxation is theft or it isn't. Taxation is either right or it is wrong. How do you explain this?

mackinac
Unfortunately I sense that the subtext here is that this is supposed to lead to the iron-clad conclusion where a person say's: "Q.E.D. - Ergo, via pointing out common hypocrisy of conservatives, I have just proved that taxes are rarely, if ever, theft," when the conclusion could alternatively be that they are, but pointing out the habitual inconsistencies in the conservative philosophy is just icing on the cake that they deserved to be called on.

The Constitutionalists (who aren't necessarily conservatives, as Conservatism is its own thing) might try to offer a rejoinder to that criticism by positing that it is only theft if the taxation falls outside the scope of allowable spending, but I don't put much stock in that explanation, as they rarely muster up an ethical defense of why Constitutionalism itself is moral, as they usually either: (a) just take it as an a priori axiom that it is prima facie just, just because it is a preexisting structure which they feel they cannot ever question the legitimacy of, or (b) if they are slightly educated and versed in literature, they might offer up a brief handwaving argument relating to Rousseau's thesis. Depending on if one buys into argument (a) or (b), they may, or may not, actually be inconsistent in their position.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-24-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
It is called user fees. Meaning when you use the service you pay. That is a tax.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not sure that I can being that you are not a US Citizen, are not from the US and have no clue about the US Constitution.

But, I'll try anyway.

The US Constitution states that the federal government is responsible for the military, as well as the defense of the United States, and so taxes levied to maintain the military or defend the US are constitutional and not theft.

Basically, each of us, or actually each of you, since I pay no taxes, chips in a few bucks to be safe and secure.

On the other hand, no where in the US Constitution does it say that the federal government is responsible for ensuring that people live outlandish life-styles and get to party all the time.

So, taxing people and taking their hard earned money to give it to people to fund their life-styles is theft.

Right now, the US government is taking people's hard earned tax dollars and giving it to other people to fund their life-styles, vis a vis Food Stamps. That is theft.

A responsible government would ensure that before it gave someone $200 in Food Stamps, that person cancelled $200 worth of cable/satellite TV, cell-phone, internet, NetFlix, GameStop and dope-smoking services.

Of course, if the lazy selfish sloth did that (ie cancelled their internet, cell-phone, cable/satellite, NetFlix, GameStop services), then they wouldn't need $200 worth of tax payer money to buy food in the first place.

Do yourself a favor, come to the US and live for a while so you can see how things really work.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
When you tax the poor and middle class.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
When you tax the poor and middle class.

It was an excellent OP, and I think that you have it about right. It is theft when the rich pay taxes and not theft when the middle class pays taxes.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm not sure that I can being that you are not a US Citizen, are not from the US and have no clue about the US Constitution.

But, I'll try anyway.

The US Constitution states that the federal government is responsible for the military, as well as the defense of the United States, and so taxes levied to maintain the military or defend the US are constitutional and not theft.

Basically, each of us, or actually each of you, since I pay no taxes, chips in a few bucks to be safe and secure.

On the other hand, no where in the US Constitution does it say that the federal government is responsible for ensuring that people live outlandish life-styles and get to party all the time.

So, taxing people and taking their hard earned money to give it to people to fund their life-styles is theft.

Right now, the US government is taking people's hard earned tax dollars and giving it to other people to fund their life-styles, vis a vis Food Stamps. That is theft.

A responsible government would ensure that before it gave someone $200 in Food Stamps, that person cancelled $200 worth of cable/satellite TV, cell-phone, internet, NetFlix, GameStop and dope-smoking services.

Of course, if the lazy selfish sloth did that (ie cancelled their internet, cell-phone, cable/satellite, NetFlix, GameStop services), then they wouldn't need $200 worth of tax payer money to buy food in the first place.

Do yourself a favor, come to the US and live for a while so you can see how things really work.
Absolutely hilarious. You have to from the U.S. to understand the constitution? You are from the U.S. and you don't. I can give you a quiz if you like...are you up for it?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

But, I'll try anyway.

All that plus liberals in every office who don't fix, refine, revisit issues, just want to toss more tax-payer monies at the already broken program/issue.

To the OP:

Taxation is not theft when the one paying the taxes receives a service, no matter how large or small, in return for paying said taxes.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Taxation is not theft when the one paying the taxes receives a service, no matter how large or small, in return for paying said taxes.
Do you actually read your posts before you press "submit reply"...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It was an excellent OP, and I think that you have it about right. It is theft when the rich pay taxes and not theft when the middle class pays taxes.
It's theft when you want to levy a higher tax on "the rich" for the sole reason they "have more" than the average "middle class" tax payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies