Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
$8 an hour is pretty good for unskilled labor. The problem is that Americans have become spoiled and think that type of work beneath them. Then again, if their only choice was starving or working on a farm, then you can be guaranteed that many Americans would be out on the farm picking vegetables. But that's not their only choice is it? They can get govt. aide and avoid having to work hard for little money. And that's where we see the failure of "progressive" policies.
Bingo! Some find shame in some kinds of work.
Some feel they are too good for a minimum wage job, but are not to good to be on welfare, food stamps, section 8, EBT, medi-whatever and so forth.

Again, send in welfare folks to work the fields in order to continue their check. Also use them to clean the streets and parks. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
That's what Americans want, since they don't want to work for cheap labor .
How dare you say that. All the illegals should be deported the hell out of our country and forced to pay back all the money they have taken from our country.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
This thread is the perfect example of both party's supporters crapping in their own hands and throwing it at each other, then calling it a "debate".

Republicans: It is not Obama's fault that the Tea Party governors that were elected didn't quite think things through when signing these ridiculous immigration laws. People who are used to middle class incomes are not suddenly going to pick up to make minimum wage out in the fields all day long. If you support them doing that, I invite you to try it. Saying the "free market" will take care of it by forcing the farmers to pay more and for them to take less is shortsighted... all it is going to do is significantly raise price for produce for consumers... and produce is everywhere. It's not just in the produce aisle, it's all of the canned goods, frozen entrees,...well, pretty much anything edible you buy in a grocery store. Do you honestly expect Americans to support a 3-4 times increase in the amount they are paying for groceries? In addition, CEOs and other farm owners are used to salaries/incomes based off of the immigrant model. They are not going to change that. If CEOs were that generous, you wouldn't be seeing pay raises for wall street executives who should be in prison... and don't blame the weather on not being able to find workers. That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard.

Democrats: Ugh. You did nothing to educate the public on this. You were a very ineffectual opposition to all of these arguments, and now thanks to the unchecked, runaway powers of the Tea Party/GOP, American consumers are going to be paying out the butt for groceries. Good job.
I agree Great post. I would add the people showed what they wanted and now get what you ask for.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
.... Saying the "free market" will take care of it by forcing the farmers to pay more and for them to take less is shortsighted... all it is going to do is significantly raise price for produce for consumers... and produce is everywhere. It's not just in the produce aisle, it's all of the canned goods, frozen entrees,...well, pretty much anything edible you buy in a grocery store. Do you honestly expect Americans to support a 3-4 times increase in the amount they are paying for groceries? .

Wrong.

If the government stays out of the way, the market will adjust wages and food prices. Farmers have a choice; either pay higher wages or get no revenue. No revenue is a powerful motivator. If we have so much food that we can let some if it rot in the field, then we have an over supply problem. The market will fix that.

After short periods of correction supply, demand, wages and food prices will adjust.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:48 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Just one flaw...times change.

You want to hire 13-years-old who has an IPhone sewn on their ears? They sure as hell ain't going to do a damn thing except pizz and moan. Hell, these days, you can't tell the difference between boys and girls sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Bingo! Some find shame in some kinds of work.
Some feel they are too good for a minimum wage job, but are not to good to be on welfare, food stamps, section 8, EBT, medi-whatever and so forth.

Again, send in welfare folks to work the fields in order to continue their check. Also use them to clean the streets and parks. Why not?
I agree. Nothing makes more sense than mixing forced labor with America's food supply. Why not, indeed.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
What portion of the store price of our food can be attributed to the labor cost of the harvest? What would be the effect of increasing wages enough to attract workers?

I once worked for $20 per week plus room and board during a hay harvest. I lasted less than two weeks due to complete exhaustion and I was in excellent condition when I started. That cured me of farming forever.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What portion of the store price of our food can be attributed to the labor cost of the harvest? What would be the effect of increasing wages enough to attract workers?

I once worked for $20 per week plus room and board during a hay harvest. I lasted less than two weeks due to complete exhaustion and I was in excellent condition when I started. That cured me of farming forever.
I don't know where you were loading hay at, but a 16 year old boy could make $40.00 a day loading hay in N. Texas in 1960....

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Middle class America is not going to go pick crops.

48% of migrant farm workers have visas to legally work here.
What is so hard about asking the other 52% to obtain those same visas ?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Ga’s farm-labor crisis playing out as planned | Jay Bookman

It might be funny if it wasn’t so sad.
Thanks to the resulting labor shortage, Georgia farmers have been forced to leave millions of dollars’ worth of blueberries, onions, melons and other crops unharvested and rotting in the fields. It has also put state officials into something of a panic at the damage they’ve done to Georgia’s largest industry.
Barely a month ago, you might recall, Gov. Nathan Deal welcomed the TV cameras into his office as he proudly signed HB 87 into law. Two weeks later, with farmers howling, a scrambling Deal ordered a hasty investigation into the impact of the law he had just signed, as if all this had come as quite a surprise to him.
I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it once more, but America needs an underclass. One is made from petty criminals. The other is illegal immigrants. Without them, we cease to function....or just function poorly.
According to the survey, more than 6,300 of the unclaimed jobs pay an hourly wage of just $7.25 to $8.99, or an average of roughly $8 an hour. Over a 40-hour work week in the South Georgia sun, that’s $320 a week, before taxes, although most workers probably put in considerably longer hours. Another 3,200 jobs pay $9 to $11 an hour
Rubbish. What we need is to pay a better wage to pick these crops or we need to switch to crops we can pick with a machine.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
I think the moral of the story is some people are very willing to shoot themselves in the foot if it means getting illegals out of the country. Consequences, be damned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies