Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:13 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I didn't bother to read the article, just the responses. Up here in the North, when I was young (70's/80's), teens as young as 13 detassled corn. Can't they just hire the teenagers to do it?
Just one flaw...times change.

You want to hire 13-years-old who has an IPhone sewn on their ears? They sure as hell ain't going to do a damn thing except pizz and moan. Hell, these days, you can't tell the difference between boys and girls sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford;19742602
It might be funny if it wasn’t so sad.
Thanks to the resulting labor shortage, Georgia farmers have been forced to leave millions of dollars’ worth of blueberries, onions, melons and other crops unharvested and rotting in the fields. It has also put state officials into something of a panic at the damage they’ve done to Georgia’s largest industry.
[B
I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it once more, but America needs an underclass. One is made from petty criminals. The other is illegal immigrants. Without them, we cease to function....or just function poorly. [/b]

Or, people can be made to work for their welfare check and welfare can supplement their income.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let the Farmers get H2A/H2B visas for these illegals so they can work in this country.
The programs are there and in place. Why are they not being used ?

That's the question you ought to be asking.
I agree with you on principle but in praticality do you know how large the government agency would be to handle this with our current policies?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I live in Northeast GA and it's beyond hot and humid here, I can only be outside for 10-20 minutes at a time right now, otherwise I'd drop with heat stroke. These farms are located in central and southern GA where it's even hotter and below the gnat line. My hat goes off to anyone who can work under those conditions, I know I can't.

The local news said they are trying to get parolee's to do the work but many just can't take the heat and drop like flys.

As a teenager I too picked berry's and beans but I lived in Oregon...BIG DIFFERENCE.

I certainly don't know what the answer is, but I do know the working conditions are pretty horrific and not everyone can tolerate it.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
If you can't afford to pay enough to get people to work for you, legal workers, then you really can't afford to be in business. If a competitor is employing illegals, drop a dime on him.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Cut off unemployment/welfare and maybe we'll see some work is better than no work attitude.... until then no work is better than some work is the attitude today... of course, farmers don't advertise these jobs in the newspapers or anywhere... they typically try the illegal immigrants first and last before they try to recruit Americans...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Georgia will simply call in those formerly middle class Joes on Unemployment and give them thhe opportunity to pick veggies for minimum wage or be terminated for refusing employment.

Welcome to the Third World

Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,021 times
I guess this is the part of the equation that the lawmakers dont think about...when you make laws to run off all the undocumented worker, you and me, joe and susie public, will eventually suffer....the farmers, who have been living fat off of all the undocumented labor, are about to lose millions of dollars in crop damage that just rots in the sun because no one will pick it..

the lawn companies who service yards and communities all around the state will start losing workers and will not be able to keep up with their contracts/committments.....I cant recall the last time Ive seen anyone other than a messican cutting grass....Im not trying to be funny either...you see a few brothers with lawn crews, but they are mostly limited to the lower middle class or all black/ lower class communities....

office buildings will start getting spotty clean up service because the people who clean them are mostly messicans or central americans...what about the people cooking your food at Chili's, or dropping the frys at mickey D's..ring a bell? well, at least those jobs will open up for the younger people again

but, I cant see anyone, even if they are getting unemployment, dropping that to go work hard sun up to sun down picking berrys, peaches, watermelon, onion, bell peppers, lettuce, spinach or whatever else the farmers are growing.....

since we get everything we own from china anyway, guess we will start importing some of their contaimanated fruit and veggies...bet that would make everyone happy..

I guess we do reap what we sow, but something has to be done about the illegial immigration all over the country....

Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Georgia will simply call in those formerly middle class Joes on Unemployment and give them thhe opportunity to pick veggies for minimum wage or be terminated for refusing employment.

Welcome to the Third World
Are you suggesting that Americans are too good for manual labor? That liberals WANT an underclass to do these jobs?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you suggesting that Americans are too good for manual labor? That liberals WANT an underclass to do these jobs?
I think liberals are open border globalists at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies