Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM

461 posts, read 554,238 times

Advertisements

A few days ago, while the gay marriage campaign was being discussed in Albany, opponents and supporters of gay marriage were using God's name in chants about why gay marriage ought to be/not be legalized.

It's obvious why some of the religious might be against gay marriage. However, it's not quite as clear as to why other religious people might be for it.

So for the religious supporters of gay marriage, how do you justify your support for gay marriage? Do you neglect the part of your faith in which it is said that homosexuality is wrong? Maybe you interpret your religion as not being anti-gay?

Just curious, I thought this was an interesting question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,903,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
A few days ago, while the gay marriage campaign was being discussed in Albany, opponents and supporters of gay marriage were using God's name in chants about why gay marriage ought to be/not be legalized.

It's obvious why some of the religious might be against gay marriage. However, it's not quite as clear as to why other religious people might be for it.

So for the religious supporters of gay marriage, how do you justify your support for gay marriage? Do you neglect the part of your faith in which it is said that homosexuality is wrong? Maybe you interpret your religion as not being anti-gay?

christ said nothing about homosexuality.. homosexuality is referenced in the old testament... and the whole purpose to christianity is that christ brought us the new testament... so theoretically.. being a christian doesn't mean you have to believe homosexuality is wrong,

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,826,344 times
Quote:

I believe in God, that's my business. If 2 gay people want to enter into a marriage it doesn't bother me or hurt me in the least bit nor does it alter my belief in God so I support whatever they want to do.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,458,723 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Virtual Insanity

Okay, I'll go. First, I wouldn't call myself a supporter of gay marriage, but I'm not an opponent either.

I'm a churchgoer who takes the traditional stance on homosexuality. But I also know that rules within the church don't always apply to rules in the society at large. For instance. I would have a HUGE problem if my pastor decided to marry a gay couple, but if my local magistrate wanted to do the same, it wouldn't ruffle me as much. As a Christian, I cannot expect people outside the church to act as if they belong to it.

So do I disagree with homosexuality? Yes. Would I want to see a gay marriage in my church? No. Does it bother me if the county courthouse grants gay marriages? Not really. It is what it is.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,724,923 times
Quote:

There are only 5 verses (out of 37,000+) in the Bible that ever refer to some type of same-sex behavior. When looked at in their original language and cultural context, they do not refer to modern day homosexuality, as that concept was unknown until 1900 A.D.

Conservatives ignore context and original language and assume the English version condemns modern day gays. The original language condemns pagan prostitution and pederasty commonly found among the Caananites and Greco-Romans.

Nothing in the Bible prohibits same-sex marriage, just like nothing in the Bible discusses intersex individuals or the internet.

I'm not willing to condemn hundreds of millions of people based on a measly 5 misunderstood out of context verses of the Bible.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,724,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
christ said nothing about homosexuality.. homosexuality is referenced in the old testament... and the whole purpose to christianity is that christ brought us the new testament... so theoretically.. being a christian doesn't mean you have to believe homosexuality is wrong,
Technically homosexuality is not mentioned in the Old Testament. Men engaging in anal sex with temple prostitutes in the beds of women is, but how many 21st Century gay people engage in pagan prostitution in women's beds to gain favor with the Caananite fertility goddesses?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,331,977 times
Quote:

Possibly some Christians actually study the original cultural contexts and languages of the few Biblical verses that have commonly been used against homosexuals, and realise they don't have anything to do with gays and lesbians in the 21st century. Instead they refer to pagan fertility cult worshipping practices that have long since died out, or male rape.

Even if there were verses against homosexuality in the Bible, most Christians do not follow all the laws in the Bible anyway. So it would be rather hypocritical wouldn't it?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,516,144 times
Quote:

I am not religious, but if I may offer up a one possible answer that is quite obvious. That being, just because something happens to be viewed in a negative light under ones understanding of religious text and belief does not mean that that person:

(a) believes it necessarily falls within the scope of government to control that thing, such that every single last little detail in that religious text must become the object of government control, and

(b) nor does it mean that their religious belief, and all that it entails, trumps their philisophical beliefs on government and other forms of ethics and morals which they may hold which are independent of religion.

To assume that ones governmental view is always subordinate to ones religious view, rather than the converse situation being the case (religion being subordinate to ones philisophical and ethical views on governance), is going to lead one to miss an obvious explanation for the question.

Some would consider it a non sequitur to assume that just because something is in the religious texts, that leads to the conclusion that there simply "must be a law" about it. One has to wonder if this assumption means that the people who believe this non sequitur might have more in common with those they make the object of criticism, than they realize. Perhaps they don't understand it because they too are one of those people who just assume that "there has to be a law." People who love to assume that "there has to be a law" every time something chaps their ass or slightly rubs them the wrong way are probably not going to understand how other people (some of them being religious) just are not like that... they don't have that mentality... and so no, they don't believe every damn thing needs to be the object of a statute or regulation.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-24-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,331,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I'll go. First, I wouldn't call myself a supporter of gay marriage, but I'm not an opponent either.

I'm a churchgoer who takes the traditional stance on homosexuality. But I also know that rules within the church don't always apply to rules in the society at large. For instance. I would have a HUGE problem if my pastor decided to marry a gay couple, but if my local magistrate wanted to do the same, it wouldn't ruffle me as much. As a Christian, I cannot expect people outside the church to act as if they belong to it.

So do I disagree with homosexuality? Yes. Would I want to see a gay marriage in my church? No. Does it bother me if the county courthouse grants gay marriages? Not really. It is what it is.
I'm curious. When you say you "disagree" with homosexuality, what exactly do you mean?

Do you think that gays and lesbians should not be able spend their lives with someone they love, like straight people do?

Do you think that gays and lesbians should try to pretend to be heterosexual and marry someone of the opposite sex....like your sons or daughters?

Do you you think that gays and lesbians should not even exist?

What exactly would you want gays and lesbians to DO?

Stay alone and celibate?
Or marry your sons and daughters in a sham marriage?
Or Kill themselves?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,354,453 times
Quote:

I'm disturbed by the so called Catholics who voted for this farce. It's clear they never were really Catholics just said so out of political expediency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies