Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnttokr1 View Post
Let me preface this thread by stating that I am only 30 years old. Perhaps some of the more "seasoned" posters on the C-D forum can give their experiences.....

WAAAAAAAY back when I was in highschool if you and someone else had a problem....you fought. Fist to Fist, one on one.

Not a day goes by that I don't read about some highschool kid getting blown away by another highschool kid because one looked at the other wrong.

What happened to solving your differences by pounding it out of each other? Why are kids today so quick to pull the trigger? Are kids now a days scared to take a punch?
I know, back in my day, is was the "OK Coral" method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Hell in the 1940's when a man threatened my great grandfathers life, saying "I'll shoot that son of a ***** when he leaves the courthouse", the judge handed him a gun from behind his podium and told him to defend himself.

My great grandfather won.

70 years wasn't that long ago, America is a young country so we think 10 years is a long time for some strange reason.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Hmmmm, nothing like a little violence to make things right. NOT.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hmmmm, nothing like a little violence to make things right. NOT.
Should my great grandfather have allowed someone to kill him? Should he have hidden in the courthouse, then left and got shot in the back a few hours or days later?

Sometimes, folks must defend themselves with violence. It is simply the world we live in.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Should my great grandfather have allowed someone to kill him? Should he have hidden in the courthouse, then left and got shot in the back a few hours or days later?

Sometimes, folks must defend themselves with violence. It is simply the world we live in.
It's not the world I live in. Sorry.
I've never had a physical fight with anyone, don't see the need for it.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Maybe we should go back to the real old-fashioned way and just bring back dueling... I mean it settled arguments in a fairly structured and civil matter--unless you were Alexander Hamilton. But at least you got to choose the weapons and place of the duel when someone challenged you.

"Suh, I accept yuh challenge, and choose pistols at dawn..."

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's not the world I live in. Sorry.
I've never had a physical fight with anyone, don't see the need for it.
Then you ignore reality.

Would you have not fought the Nazis? How about those committing genocide in Rwanda?

There are manufactured enemies like Al Qaeda, and there are real enemies to humanity and the only way to destroy them is to kill them.

Remember the movie "The Dark Knight"? Alfred told Wayne that they had to hunt a man who only wanted the world to burn. Some people are just evil, and there is only one way to deal with them. That is reality.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Maybe we should go back to the real old-fashioned way and just bring back dueling... I mean it settled arguments in a fairly structured and civil matter--unless you were Alexander Hamilton. But at least you got to choose the weapons and place of the duel when someone challenged you.

"Suh, I accept yuh challenge, and choose pistols at dawn..."
With the guns they used back then, I'd be ok with that. Most duels never resulted in anyone being killed.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Usually those people are the bullies. Those are the people that think they are entitled to something else because they are 1. Bigger or 2. Better looking.

I disagree with both solutions. I understand how it happens though. Its simply common sense in the mind of a teenager. If you're being bullied or picked on and you know you can't fight back and do any damage what should you do? Fight and lose? Then you've just shown that you can take a beating. You've just shown to everyone else that you can be beaten up. So you're weak and vulnerable.

Given how much bullying I saw in public schools (both as a teacher and as a student), I find it miraculous that there aren't more shootings.
I see your point, but I think you misunderstood mine. Bullying and settling beefs through fighting were two different issues. Bullying took place in the halls...in the locker rooms...on the playground. Fighting was usually a beef between to individuals who were more than willing to throw punches to settle their differences. Those who were bullied were not normally the people who would say "Meet me at The Hill."

Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM

72 posts, read 63,246 times
I love how a very simple question has turned into a debate as to why violence exists and a history lession about the violent past of the US.

The questions wasn't meant to be over analized. It was simple question...

Why don't kids fight each other bare fisted when they have differences instead of picking up a gun and shooting each other?

Thats it. nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies