Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Are you joking? I cite every major association and you cite one guy's opinion piece in some obscure blog from 2008.

No, son. You are wrong. Seriously. Whether talking about humans or animals, the science (not politics) proves that you are profoundly wrong.
You cited a blog post from 2007 which is related to the facts that I posted, I see no reason to deny the facts so I'll stick with the truth. Science has been affected by politics throughout history and this is just one of many instances where it's done a great injustice to the American people.

I'm not sure why you're getting upset but please, if you can't handle a civil conversation find some other thread to post in... trying to call me "son" in some ignorant attempt to make yourself seem superior is just that, ignorant.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I've seen a lot of threads here on CD talking about the alarming rate of teen suicide in the homosexual community, there are quite a few groups that fight to stop this trend and help these kids so that they know there are alternatives to suicide. It's also widely known that suicide is generally connected to mental instability.

Suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we know that suicide is often linked to a mental disorder why aren't we approaching this issue differently? We treat all sorts of mental disorders and we go out of our way to make people dealing with minor and major mental disorders feel more accepted in society like they should be. If we all show compassion towards homosexuals who are dealing with this mental disorder wouldn't it greatly lessen the risk of teen suicide in the gay community?
I applaud the state of NY for their vote yesterday to allow gay marriage, this is a huge step to showing that the society as a whole is becoming more accepting of the disorder and it shows that people who are affected by it can lead completely normal lives in a family atmosphere and even with adopted children.

I feel that we as a country don't do near enough to combat gay bullying in our schools, we protect people with all sorts of problems and issues (mental and physical) but we provide very little support for this one mental disorder which in turn leads to a large number of teen suicides each year. How can we move forward and protect these kids in need while making them feel accepted regardless of their condition?
I say attack and subdue the bullies who deem homosexuality a mental disorder the liberal way...

Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Deleted comment.

Not worth responding to even more hatero comments.
So people who stand up against oppression and bigotry are now, in your bizarro world, the ones full of hatred?

I guess you have to justify your bigotry, but in the end you're no different from people who abused black people or women, calling them inferior or not worthy of equal rights.

Our progress as a nation is slow, but we keep moving toward God's will.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I've never understood why people care so much. I'm straight, but know enough gay people to know that they have no agenda. They just are who they are - in many walks of life.

I just have so many more important things to do with my time than attack people for being who they are.
That's exactly my point, gay people didn't choose to live or feel this way nor do they have any control over it so why attack people for that. I don't see what agenda they could possibly have other than to live a normal life being accepted for who they are.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I say attack and subdue the bullies who deem homosexuality a mental disorder the liberal way...

Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it
I can hardly be seen as a bully but it is clear that many have a fear of the plain truth about homosexuality.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You cited a blog post from 2007 which is related to the facts that I posted, I see no reason to deny the facts so I'll stick with the truth. Science has been affected by politics throughout history and this is just one of many instances where it's done a great injustice to the American people.

I'm not sure why you're getting upset but please, if you can't handle a civil conversation find some other thread to post in... trying to call me "son" in some ignorant attempt to make yourself seem superior is just that, ignorant.
Ummm... I simply gave a summary of the facts from Wikipedia. I didn't cite any blog post, son.

The reason I'm getting upset with you is because you are drawing a false positive "politics has interfered with other scientific stances, therefore it must have interfered with this one."

The problem is that the body of research, not politics, refutes what you believe. It's really not a disorder, in humans or non-humans alike.

Perpetuating your myths gives fuel to those who will subjugate, attack, or deny rights to a segment of the population in much the way people used to believe minorities were inferior.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
So people who stand up against oppression and bigotry are now, in your bizarro world, the ones full of hatred?

I guess you have to justify your bigotry, but in the end you're no different from people who abused black people or women, calling them inferior or not worthy of equal rights.

Our progress as a nation is slow, but we keep moving toward God's will.
Whose god?
I don't want anything to do with your god thing.
The most hateful people in the world are those who call upon their god things. Using that god thing as an excuse for hatred seems to be modus operandi.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Speaking from a purely medical point of view.

Suicide is sometimes caused by mental disorders, but sometimes can be carried out by perfectly healthy people. The primary mental disorder in question here is depression, not homosexuality. The depression stems from persecution and judgement by other people, not homosexuality. The only thing that needs to be treated is the poisonous societal attitude towards homosexuals.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
I've seen a lot of threads here on CD talking about the alarming rate of teen suicide in the homosexual community, there are quite a few groups that fight to stop this trend and help these kids so that they know there are alternatives to suicide. It's also widely known that suicide is generally connected to mental instability.

Suicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we know that suicide is often linked to a mental disorder why aren't we approaching this issue differently? We treat all sorts of mental disorders and we go out of our way to make people dealing with minor and major mental disorders feel more accepted in society like they should be. If we all show compassion towards homosexuals who are dealing with this mental disorder wouldn't it greatly lessen the risk of teen suicide in the gay community?
I applaud the state of NY for their vote yesterday to allow gay marriage, this is a huge step to showing that the society as a whole is becoming more accepting of the disorder and it shows that people who are affected by it can lead completely normal lives in a family atmosphere and even with adopted children.

I feel that we as a country don't do near enough to combat gay bullying in our schools, we protect people with all sorts of problems and issues (mental and physical) but we provide very little support for this one mental disorder which in turn leads to a large number of teen suicides each year. How can we move forward and protect these kids in need while making them feel accepted regardless of their condition?
Why is homosexuality a mental disorder? There are real biological and societal benefits to having a small percentage of the population born with sexual desires to their own sex.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
That's exactly my point, gay people didn't choose to live or feel this way nor do they have any control over it so why attack people for that. I don't see what agenda they could possibly have other than to live a normal life being accepted for who they are.
Then we're agreed in the social application - liberty and justice for all. You calling it a disorder, though, is not accurate and fuels those millions who wish to negate their inherent human rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies