Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yup, CA goes about its business. People putting off retirement because their pension are 1/4 of what they anticipated. Staying in crappy jobs because there's no better ones to be had. Staying in homes because they can't sell them. Trying for the short sale, but there are no buyers. Wishing they could move to get a better job, but can't sell their house. See "fees" creep into every part of life, because "taxes" can't be raised. Paying $4.50 a gallon for gas. Losing sleep because they're on their 2nd year of unemployment, with no job in sight. Prepping for the violence that will surely happen when the entitled govt employees are told to cut back.

Do I have that about right? Nothing desperate about speaking the truth.
You could really be describing any state in the above description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
You could really be describing any state in the above description.
Actually, I'm aware of very very few states that are in that situation. Maybe FL and NV but that's about it, and they have nowhere near the gas prices or the tent city sizes that CA has.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, I'm aware of very very few states that are in that situation. Maybe FL and NV but that's about it, and they have nowhere near the gas prices or the tent city sizes that CA has.
I was under the impression that there is a job shortage in most if not all states as well as record foreclosures OR inability to sell homes. And I am very happy to report that at least in Santa Barbara, gas is below $4 ($3.85 yesterday). I do expect that to change several times this summer though.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
From the article:

Houston is loading up on superstar cancer scientists, bankrolled in part by a generously funded state program that's transforming Texas into the nation's center of research on the deadly disease.
Don't you find it a little ironic that the example you gave is to a significant degree the outcome of government-backed funding - i.e., not purely the private sector? I thought you guys should be against this sort of thing. Don't you consider it Communism?

Last edited by ambient; 06-28-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
I do consider income part of my quality of life. That's where we differ.

One thing I have noticed? Texans are much friendlier than Californians (who are pretty friendly to begin with). And Texans don't judge. Something more and more Californians are doing.
Ummm....Texans don't judge?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
And Texans don't judge. Something more and more Californians are doing.
Yeah, right. If that's so true, then explain to me why every day brings another handful of threads on here written by gloating Texan muppets about how superior their state is and how happy they are that California is doomed, etc. etc. I don't see Californians constantly starting some **** like that.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
But economy isn't life. Life can be far more satisfying in CA than in TX generally speaking. I've lived in both places and I would only reconsider one of them for quality of life. Heat, humidity, hurricanes, poverty, swamps, bugs, crime, etc. not on my list of must haves. While not perfect (earthquakes come to mind) CA is a better choice to live overall, current economy aside. There's a reason everyone moved there instead of Texas for so many years.
Yeah, I used to date a really hot nymphomaniac but really can't afford her any more.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Ummm....Texans don't judge?
Haha, yeah. I got a chuckle out of that one too.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
One thing that California is a larger number of top university graduates. The UC system has nearly 200k students. California is also home to Stanford, Cal Tech, The Claremont Colleges, USC, Pepperdine. These are some top universities in the nation...if not the world. Texas simply does not have the same numbers of graduates from top tier institutions.

This often translates to innovation. There is a reason why the Bay area has the highest concentration of high tech companies in the US. There is a reason why Southern California is home to one of the largest Biotech hubs in the world.

California is down, but not out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies