Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,515,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Make yourself clear, your'e question makes no sense, unless you too have seen this multitude of poor people riding around in cadillac Eldorados with $2000.00 rims!!
I was working in a call center a while back. It was mostly young females I was workign with.

The talk of the workplace was constantly of link cards, free daycare, subsidized rent, everyone knew how to play the game and work the system.

Majority of these girls also has stylish clothes, this was a few years ago so before I phones but everyone had a sidekick which was the hot expensive phone of the time, heck I've had basic flip phones until a month ago.

They also all had designer bags, went out and bought lunch everyday, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,669,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Make yourself clear, your'e question makes no sense, unless you too have seen this multitude of poor people riding around in cadillac Eldorados with $2000.00 rims!!
Do you only complain about persons who cannot afford to hire entire departments to help them conform to rational choice theory and fill our corporate welfare forms in triplicate?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,515,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
So, what is your point; corporate welfare even pays multimillion dollar bonuses.
Two wrongs dont make a right. This is why nothing positive gets done in this coutnry. No-one wants to address a problem, they point to another problem and use that to justify continuing the first problem.

I agree lets do away with corporate welfare but what's the sense in saying lets let losers do drugs and leach off the system because bankers get big bonuses while their companies take money from taxpayers.

Let's put an end to both problems.

Also, I see biden out telling us to pay more money. Yeah right, so losers can do drugs on my dime and bankers can buy yahts on my dime. No more taxes until you get rid of some of the current waste.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I was working in a call center a while back. It was mostly young females I was workign with.

The talk of the workplace was constantly of link cards, free daycare, subsidized rent, everyone knew how to play the game and work the system.

Majority of these girls also has stylish clothes, this was a few years ago so before I phones but everyone had a sidekick which was the hot expensive phone of the time, heck I've had basic flip phones until a month ago.

Would they feel the need to play that game if it were easier to find a job than to buy illicit drugs?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Two wrongs dont make a right. This is why nothing positive gets done in this coutnry. No-one wants to address a problem, they point to another problem and use that to justify continuing the first problem.
What part of the problem are you trying to address?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM

46,806 posts, read 25,709,475 times
Quote:
You cherry picked my quote. The response I was giving was to a guy who worked for the gov. I said take the private sector elemet out of it. Why will gov drug test its workers but not people living off the tax payer dime.
Because it's two different interactions. Do you want people taking mandatory drug tests before voting? That's an interaction with the government as well.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I agree lets do away with corporate welfare but what's the sense in saying lets let losers do drugs and leach off the system because bankers get big bonuses while their companies take money from taxpayers.

Let's put an end to both problems.

Also, I see biden out telling us to pay more money. Yeah right, so losers can do drugs on my dime and bankers can buy yahts on my dime. No more taxes until you get rid of some of the current waste.
Why not simplify public policy choices so that they are easier to administer and help achieve full employment of resources in a given market; such as the market for labor.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM

46,806 posts, read 25,709,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
That is always the gov't excuse, "it would cost etc.".

I say B.S. The people doing the testing are Already on the gov't payroll. You don't have to hire any additional people.
You don't think additional tests (in the tens of thousands) will add workload?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
Quote:

Anecdote does not equal data.
For some reason, I don't believe you.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM

72 posts, read 63,056 times
Welfare scammers aren't stupid. They've managed to take advantage of the system for years and years. Do you honestly think that a drug test is going to stop them?

I can see the conversation now...."Uh oh...you see this...the gov. is giving random drug testing to all people receiving aid......guess we better straighten up"

IMHO it seems like a lot of cost for little reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies