Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 PM

589 posts, read 375,667 times

Advertisements

Hiking the state’s income tax from 3% to 5% (that’s a flat rate for all individuals) amounts to a stunning 67% increase in the income tax rate.
For a family of four making $60,000 a year, that’s another $1,040 in taxes. For a family making $100,000, that’s another $1,840. But as bad as that sounds, this year, many residents won’t see much change in their overall tax burden, thanks to that temporary federal tax cut. But they’ll really feel it once the federal break disappears in 2012. At that point, they’ll see what is effectively a 4-percentage point jump in taxes over 2011.

Pain From Tax Hikes Loom in 2012 - The Tax Blog - SmartMoney

2012 shouldn't be a good year for Illinois...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,325,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Hiking the state’s income tax from 3% to 5% (that’s a flat rate for all individuals) amounts to a stunning 67% increase in the income tax rate.
For a family of four making $60,000 a year, that’s another $1,040 in taxes. For a family making $100,000, that’s another $1,840. But as bad as that sounds, this year, many residents won’t see much change in their overall tax burden, thanks to that temporary federal tax cut. But they’ll really feel it once the federal break disappears in 2012. At that point, they’ll see what is effectively a 4-percentage point jump in taxes over 2011.

Pain From Tax Hikes Loom in 2012 - The Tax Blog - SmartMoney

2012 shouldn't be a good year for Illinois...
If it were not robbed by the government, that money would be put to so much better use in the private sector.
As such,businesses and individuals will all suffer just a little bit more.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,295,435 times
Anyway, this belongs in the Illinois forum. It is not a national topic. As much as I'm flattered by all the attention our state seems to get, it really should not be that interesting to the rest of you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: response to deleted quote

Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Nope. Anyway, this belongs in the Illinois forum. It is not a national topic. As much as I'm flattered by all the attention our state seems to get, it really should not be that interesting to the rest of you.
I disagree. This is an open forum and anyone can post what they want. I'm sure people from Illinois had things to say about Wisconsin.

Several states have elected repubs in order to get themselves out of the hole the dems put them in.

The repub states are cutting costs, getting public union people to START contributing to their own heath care and retirement.

These states are recovering.

The purpose of the post, IMO, is to show the path Illinois is taking and comparing the different actions and the results.

If you can't handle it, stay away. No one is forcing you to read or comment on any post.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I disagree. This is an open forum and anyone can post what they want. I'm sure people from Illinois had things to say about Wisconsin.

Several states have elected repubs in order to get themselves out of the hole the dems put them in.

The repub states are cutting costs, getting public union people to START contributing to their own heath care and retirement.

These states are recovering.

The purpose of the post, IMO, is to show the path Illinois is taking and comparing the different actions and the results.

If you can't handle it, stay away. No one is forcing you to read or comment on any post.
Almost zero of the fifty states are experiencing any significant recovery. Trying to correlate recovery with party alignment is politics at its most shameless.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,942 times
Quote:
Nope. Anyway, this belongs in the Illinois forum. It is not a national topic. As much as I'm flattered by all the attention our state seems to get, it really should not be that interesting to the rest of you.
Must be a liberal from Illinois who doesn't want to be proven wrong

Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Must be a liberal from Illinois who doesn't want to be proven wrong
Once again I'm flattered. Is your own state really so boring?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,942 times
Quote:
Once again I'm flattered. Is your own state really so boring?
Yeh. Virginia is too well run, considered the 2nd best state to do business in and the 9th freest state overall, so yeh not much going on here, kinda boring

Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM

589 posts, read 375,667 times
Quote:
Yeh. Virginia is too well run, considered the 2nd best state to do business in and the 9th freest state overall, so yeh not much going on here, kinda boring

He's jealous

Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Virginia gets a huge chunk of government business, while DC's poor are conveniently over on the Maryland side. I enjoyed Virginia when I lived in the area, but you gotta give credit where it's due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies