Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Ya know.....

Homosexuals think that they are gaining ground in this country - concerning acceptance.

I'm here to tell you, they're not.
I cannot talk about the whole country, but I can talk about the city I live in with some confidence and authority ...

PHILADELPHIA

• Our Mayor, Michael Nutter and the entire City Council celebrated L/G/B/T Rights by ceremonial hoisting the "rainbow flag" over City Hall recently in view of thousands of cheering onlookers;
  • Discrimination against L/G/B/T people in both the city and the county of Philadelphia is illegal, particularly in employment, housing, education, public accommodation, etc;
  • The city government maintains an official liaison with the L/G/B/T community, who has her office in City Hall; the same is true for the Police Dept.
  • The Police Department openly seeks recruits in the L/G/B/T community and participates in the annual Gay Pride March in June;
  • The Philadelphia Inquirer publishes announcements of same-sex nuptials along with heterosexual marriage notices;
  • The Philadelphia Tourist Board invests in advertising the city in gay publications and media to attract tourist dollars to our city;
  • All the major colleges and universities in our city have L/G/B/T student groups and centers on campuses, such as Temple U., Drexel U., University of the Sciences Philadelphia (USP), Swarthmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, etc. and the "Ivy-League" University Of Pennsylvania presented a magnificent Victorian Mansion on it's campus to the Gay Student Union;
  • Philadelphia hosts the second largest Gay & Lesbian Film Festival in North America;
  • The vast majority of candidates for public office seek endorsement from PGN: the Philadelphia Gay News, a weekly newspaper that has been coming out for nearly 40 years;
  • One of the largest, most beautiful, and historic churches in the city, The Germantown Presbyterian Church, has an openly lesbian pastor; the largest and most magnificent synagogue in town, Rodeph Shalom, has a gay "havurah" or congregation that meets in it's stately edifice;
  • OutFest, started as a block party in October in Center City that drew about 5,000 participants a dozen years ago; it now covers about 10 blocks and draws about 50,000 participants;
  • There is a L/G/B/T community center - The William Way Community Center - a multi-story building with offices, meeting rooms, a ball room, exhibition space, a library, an archives, etc. that recently underwent a million dollar renovation ...
well ... I could go on and on ...

my point is that Philly is a very "gay friendly" city ...

after all it is called The City Of Brotherly Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think part of the reason may be because gay/lesbian parents do more to teach their kids to respect others in school and in society.
I think that you're right.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Yes, and I would also like to see the study itself broken down. Were the families henpicked? Was the whole study a set up? 84 families isn't much. The gay parented households could have been the cream of the crop.

Looking at this fairly, adoptive parents (which I am imagining gay couple parents will likely fall into) are held to higher standards: economically, professionally, etc. Overall, their lives will be likely look better than your average parents.

So, that is a variable that would fall into the favor of ADOPTIVE gay parents, but isn't UNIQUE to them.

So, has the OP thought of that, or just trying to sneak one by?
I'm not the OP, I was simply providing some much asked for evidence. The study, which you obviously didn't read, looked at women who underwent artificial insemination, not adoption.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The kids being raised by same-sex gay or lesbian partners that I have observed are doing fine. We have several such families here in University City section of Philly.

However, this is only "anecdotal" evidence on my part. I will say that these families are doing fine ... no better or worse than my opposite-sex married couples raising families.

Live and let live.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm not the OP, I was simply providing some much asked for evidence. The study, which you obviously didn't read, looked at women who underwent artificial insemination, not adoption.
I know you weren't the OP, I was talking generally about gay parents. Your example of artificial insemination also boads well for my point, as that is a very expensive procedure, and you are automatically starting off with a higher performing segment of society. It is far from a comprehensive survey or study, but rather, a very narrow one.

But you knew that, right?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, so you answered your question, but do you have a link?
I think this link will serve the purpose!

From the American Psychological Association>>>>>

Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
I'm not sure how people with the mental disorder of homosexuality would be any better or worse than people without when it comes to raising children. We're all humans and nobody is perfect.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
They HAVE to be better. They tend to be better educated, older, more affluent, and constantly have to parent under a microscope, while the rest of the world judges. They can't just pop out kid after a one night stand, slip on a wedding ring (or not) and call themselves a family. That was easy. Next question please.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I am trying to understood why children who are raised by gay or lesbian families are better behaved, do better in school, and become more productive members of society than a lot children who grew up with a father and mother.

Any ideas why?
You provide no facts let alone even anedoctal evidence this is the case so nobody should even waste their breath responding to this ridiculous thread.

As some others have pointed because they can't produce a child of their own it's an expensive thing to do. This means as least they have money to support the kids most likely and aren't some welfare recipients popping out kids for cash.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I read the article and thought that some further research needs to be done in a different manner. They questioned kids at 10 and then had them answer questions on line at 17. I think that some differences could be seen if they had done the 17 year olds in the same manner as when they were 10. I won't say that the study, as limited as it was, was totally wrong but they did use some questionable methods in it.

Thanks for the link, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies