Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! well, at least you have taken the message the elete "intelectuals" have told you! kudos you conform! LOL!
Huh? I think for myself. I thought Reagan was a major buffoon. Bush wasn't as dumb as people portrayed him, but he cultivated his anti-intellectual image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Default Is America anti-intellectual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bwah hah hah hah hah hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I'd say so.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Unbelievably sad. Pains me to read that.
Having religion doesn't give many people latitude on their answer to such a question. They pretty much have to answer in the affirmative or they feel as though they are betraying their god.

The poll says over 40% of people in the US believe in strict creationism yet in my 44 years on this planet I have never met a single one of that 40%.

BTW this moderately conservative Republican believes that modern man emanated from south central Africa about 250,000 years ago.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, I'd say so.
My laughing was in response to your premise was that the moon landings were faked and that the USSR was too scared by the US in 1969 to report the fakery to the rest of the world.

If you want to term my laughing at the stupidity of that premise "anti-intellectual" then again I respond.....

Bwah hah hah hah hah hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't get into a heated debate with my gf's special needs son about the Wiggles being better than Barney either. It's just that I can't give you a cookie and pat you on the head IRL.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Huh? I think for myself. I thought Reagan was a major buffoon. Bush wasn't as dumb as people portrayed him, but he cultivated his anti-intellectual image.
What?

Is a president supposed to come off as snobbish and elitist, and dare not speak like and connect with the common man?

Is 0bama acting as an intellectual when he belittle and ridicules people?

Besides his snobbery, and his teleprompter speeches written for him by his aides, what is intellectual about 0bama? Is it simply the image he portrays that you thinks makes him intellectual? You need to listen to the man more often, when his teleprompter fails, and he stumble-mumbles his way into idiocy.

case in point:

YouTube - ‪Obama gaffe‬‏

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
It appears to me that American society doesn't value intellect, and in fact even scorns it.

Is there a reason why? Is it different in other countries?
Because most people are stupid and don't like to feel inferior.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My laughing was in response to your premise was that the moon landings were faked and that the USSR was too scared by the US in 1969 to report the fakery to the rest of the world.

If you want to term my laughing at the stupidity of that premise "anti-intellectual" then again I respond.....

Bwah hah hah hah hah hah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't get into a heated debate with my gf's special needs son about the Wiggles being better than Barney either. It's just that I can't give you a cookie and pat you on the head IRL.

Intelligence is not measured by what a person chooses to believe in order to appear "smart" to others.

Some would call that, "shrewd", but I call it pathetic.

These people are intellectually dishonest.

And, most probably, dishonest in most other attributes, as well.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I highly recommend the book Intellectuals and Society by Thomas Sowell.

Intellectuals in their field of expertise are not the problem. It's the so-called intellectuals who think their expertise in one field makes their ideas superior in another, and the people in power who blindly go along with them, that is an issue. Failed ideas by those intellectuals in that latter category litter history. That's what Sowell's book is about - those intellectuals and their failed ideas.
yep, it's conservative physists and mathmaticians saying there is no such thing as anthropomorphic global warming, it's conservative news weather men claiming that they know that global warming is a lie.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, the world comes here to learn science. If you are suggesting our educational system is failing, I can't disagree. It is time to dismantle the union run system and inject competition into education.
yes, that's exactly what third world countries do. and it works great with them. why would we ever want to follow failed European/Asian education policies?

*sarcasm btw.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
On this thread we plenty of posts that scorn intellectuals.
Why are Americans so proud to be anti-intellectual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies