Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times

Advertisements

Liberals always like to point to "anti-intellectualism" whenever people don't agree with their ideas of plans. It's always easier to make claims like that than to acknowledge that most people don't want to follow along on your path because it's been proven to fail over and over and over again. This directly ties into those same liberals claiming that anyone who doesn't vote in their favor is voting against their own self interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Liberals always like to point to "anti-intellectualism" whenever people don't agree with their ideas of plans. It's always easier to make claims like that than to acknowledge that most people don't want to follow along on your path because it's been proven to fail over and over and over again. This directly ties into those same liberals claiming that anyone who doesn't vote in their favor is voting against their own self interest.
To the extent that the US is anti-intellectual can be laid at the door step of the left. They control education in this country today and they are failing.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Well, our music and entertainment( film, TV) industries are about as bad as you can get. Okay maybe not as bad as some asian or latin american countries, but still pretty bad.
We've become pretty much a dumping ground for thee world and we've made it pretty darn easy to come here and live off the system. In other countries you have to struggle to succeed. Well, not in europe, they enable you to live pretty well even if you contribute absolutely nothing to society or industry. But they do educate you. Here you can't speak english and they'll keep you ins chool until you're 21 even if you learn nothing and don't want to anyway.
Of course, we're not in the habit of walking around believing we're so superior to others like some countries, mostly european. They care little or even know about what goes on beyond their borders, contribute next to nothing to humanitarian or defense aid around the world, eat up our culture while holding up their centuries old cultural achievements as the best the world has to offer. But they've done virtually nothing since. Business and technology wise we still rank about the highest, asia has just beaten us out. China just steals whatever we have.
I guess when it comes down to it America is about the same as most countries. Anti intellectual? That covers just about everybody in the world these days. Who was the last great artist? The last great writer? I mean on the level of Picasso, Hemingway, Tolstoy, Steinbeck, Van Gogh? The last great composer?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
To the extent that the US is anti-intellectual can be laid at the door step of the left. They control education in this country today and they are failing.
The left doesn't control all of education, they like to think they do but they don't. It is still possible to get a very good education in this country without being bombarded by liberal nonsense and attacks.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Well, our music and entertainment( film, TV) industries are about as bad as you can get. Okay maybe not as bad as some asian or latin american countries, but still pretty bad.
We've become pretty much a dumping ground for thee world and we've made it pretty darn easy to come here and live off the system. In other countries you have to struggle to succeed. Well, not in europe, they enable you to live pretty well even if you contribute absolutely nothing to society or industry. But they do educate you. Here you can't speak english and they'll keep you ins chool until you're 21 even if you learn nothing and don't want to anyway.
Of course, we're not in the habit of walking around believing we're so superior to others like some countries, mostly european. They care little or even know about what goes on beyond their borders, contribute next to nothing to humanitarian or defense aid around the world, eat up our culture while holding up their centuries old cultural achievements as the best the world has to offer. But they've done virtually nothing since. Business and technology wise we still rank about the highest, asia has just beaten us out. China just steals whatever we have.
I guess when it comes down to it America is about the same as most countries. Anti intellectual? That covers just about everybody in the world these days. Who was the last great artist? The last great writer? I mean on the level of Picasso, Hemingway, Tolstoy, Steinbeck, Van Gogh? The last great composer?
Most of these great artists were not recognized as such until after they were gone. I suspect some of who we see today as normal everyday artists in the future will gain recognition as on of the greats

Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Backspace
I actually don't think this is a left/right issue. I think it's a societal problem. Simply put: Not enough people in this country value education or being educated. And it's embarassing.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sadly, I think that it is becoming so.
Many conservatives don't want sciences taught in the school, they want creationism taught instead.
On a world stage, we're falling behind.
It's sad.
What a bunch of bull. No conservative wants science taken out of school.s

And you say we're failing, implying that it's that conservative wish for creationism that is causing it. Funny - those views are NOT being taught in schools, yet we fail. I'd say progressive curriculum is what is failing. That is what's sad.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The country as a whole isn't anti-intellectual, but we have large percentages of Americans who don't believe in science.

"Four in 10 Americans...believe God created humans in their present form about 10,000 years ago."

Four in 10 Americans Believe in Strict Creationism
Wow - what a "fill in the blank mind" you have. So believing in God means you don't believe in science? What a bunch of bull.

Anti-intellectual? No. Anti-intellectual-with-no-common-sense? Yes. Anti-intellectual-with-an-agenda? Yes.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I actually don't think this is a left/right issue. I think it's a societal problem. Simply put: Not enough people in this country value education or being educated. And it's embarassing.
Of course it's a left/right thing, how many conservatives do you see running around claiming that the US is anti-intellectual? None, and it's because we know better than to make an ignorant comment like that.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I think America is absolutely anti-intellectual, and that the current political system exemplifies that. The sheer number of people who take hard lines in politics (people who are very strong in either direction) show a distinct unintellectual-ness (I know, not a real word, but I think you get the point). The party line conservative as well as the party line democrat simply is too anti-intellectual to attempt to understand the other side of the isle. That is why many of the smartest and most learned people in this country hold views very close to the center of the isle. Intellectualism is hard. Most Americans do not want to come home after working eight hours per day and study for another few hours. Most Americans do not want to read books on macroeconomics when they can watch American Idol. Most Americans would rather take to the street to ignorantly march in protest Corporate greed rather than take the time to learn how corporate finance actually works.

Intellectualism takes more effort, so most Americans default to a hard democrat/republican line instead of taking the effort to truly learn something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies