Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Newsflash to the Social Conservatives:

Two adults have the ability to grant consent to each other in marriage.

A child does not have the ability to grant consent.

A dog does not have the ability to grant consent.

An elephant does not have the ability to grant consent.

A tree does not have the ability to grant consent.

A blow-up doll does not have the ability to grant consent.

A rock does not have the ability to grant consent.

So, please, just stop. You are neither helping America nor your own religion with your lunatic rants. Want to see why religion as a whole is losing followers? Look at yourself.

A child may not be able to grant consent, but their PARENT can. My dad was 29 and just out of college when he married my mom who was 17 at the time. They have been happily married for over 48 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really doubt all states will even allow same sex marriage in 40 years. Just looking at a map will tell you that the number of state legislatures that are blue and red . I really doubt natiionally there is enoughsupport for same sex marriage.Six liberal state legislature at this time and not one state voted to pass it by public vote.
All states will allow same sex marriage within 5 years after the Prop 8 case hits the Supreme Court and it rules that such discriminatory laws denying access of homosexual couples to some 1400 civil rights are unconstitutional.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Do you own marriage?

No.

Who exactly is messing with your marriage?

No one.

You want others to leave marriage alone.....why don't YOU leave marriage alone....?

YOU don't own it or rule it and my marriage has no affect on your marriage or the marriage down the street...and , if ya MYOB you wouldn't even know who's married and who isn't....
I am married. That makes my opinion on the subject relevant.
Don't try to redefine what marriage is. You don't have that right.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because you're not married. But don't worry, I can't marry a guy and get those "rights" either. But I'd be interested to see what you think are the 1400 "civil rights" you deserve.
I listed two in an earlier post - you even commented on one.

I want the ability to marry my foreign born boyfriend so he can make a home and life with me in the US using a spousal immigration visa - that's one civil right a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

If I own a business and I employ my partner/husband, I don't want to pay unemployment insurance tax on his wages - that's one civil right a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

If I join the military, I'd like to live with my partner/husband in family base housing and I'd like for him to be allowed to shop at the base commissary - that's one civil right a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

I don't simply "feel" we "deserve" access to these civil rights. The Constitution demands that we have equal access to them.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I want the ability to marry my foreign born boyfriend so he can make a home and life with me in the US using a spousal immigration visa - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

If I own a business and I employ my partner/husband, I don't want to pay unemloyment insurance tax on his wages - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

If I join the military, I'd like to live with my partner/husband in family base housing and I'd like for him to be allowed to shop at the base commissary - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).

I don't simply "feel" I "deserve" access to these civil rights. The Constitution demands that I have equally access to them.
You do have access to them. You can marry a woman.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Honestly, I think Marriages and Civil Unions should be separate, with Marriages alone not being recognized by the Gov. As it is in NY. Gay "Marriage" isn't legalized. Just Civil Unions.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I want the ability to marry my foreign born boyfriend so he can make a home and life with me in the US using a spousal immigration visa - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).
I'm sorry. That's just not reasonable.
Quote:
If I own a business and I employ my partner/husband, I don't want to pay unemloyment insurance tax on his wages - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).
Again, I'm sorry. That's just the way it is.
Quote:
If I join the military, I'd like to live with my partner/husband in family base housing and I'd like for him to be allowed to shop at the base commissary - that's one civil rights a couple who has contracted a civil marriage gets (well, unless it's a gay couple legally coupled in one of the 6 states that allows same sex marriages).
So don't join the military or live on base.
Quote:
I don't simply "feel" I "deserve" access to these civil rights. The Constitution demands that I have equally access to them.
Except that you're not married, nor can 2 men be married.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
No. I don't. The civil rights of a civil marriage contract are jointly defined rights. My partner and I do not have access to them. Homosexual couples have been banned from accessing them (in the exact same unconstitutional way interracial couples were banned from them in the past).

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A child may not be able to grant consent, but their PARENT can. My dad was 29 and just out of college when he married my mom who was 17 at the time. They have been happily married for over 48 years.
Key word - Parent....another consenting adult making a decision for someone whom society recognizes as unable to fully comprehend, contemplate and understand, the ramifications of a potentially life altering decision affecting themselves, nor the responsibilities which may be incurred.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
And you can [preemptive mod cut]

The current law is not discriminatory based upon sexuality, but it is discriminatory based on sex.

No male is allowed to marry another male, regardless of his sexuality.
No female is allowed to marry another female, regardless of her sexuality.

Two people are either allowed to or barred from marrying based upon their sex. That is discrimination based upon sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies