Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You have provided no proof that the Founders wished for men to marry men. None.

These are the men who founded America and you can't show me where they said, "Homosexual 'marriage' is the same as and perhaps better than real marriage".

Go ahead and point out where the Founders supported gay sexual relationships.
As much as it pains many people to think of (including me at times), the Founders and what they wished are not entirely relevant in our present society - neither are their ideas something that should be upheld 100%.

Many of the rights currently enjoyed by American's weren't covered by them. In some cases they thought quite differently. The most obvious cases being women and African American's. The first they didn't cover at all, the second they didn't see as fully human or at least that they didn't have the same worth as a white person.

For all the talk of what the Founders wanted, a great many American's wouldn't be soon keen to roll back the clock to their original vision alone. And with good reason.

This is one of those areas the Founders are better left out of, imo, at least insofar as trying to make a certain point is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's interesting how you praise someone for a thoughtful response and then spend the follow-up letting loose one silly stereotypical accusation after another. If this post is any indication, you are certainly not a willing participant in a thoughtful, reasoned debate.
The core issue of this thread, "acceptance of adult/child sex and marriage, does not lend itself to honest debate. It is a disgusting topic and taking a pro stance on it is quite impossible in my mind. Pedophiles are vermin. Blood sucking parasites preying on the most innocent of our society. The idea of accepting them as equals on the same level as consenting adults is repulsive to most folks other than them and the disgust they generate with their twisted views is not open to debate.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Pedophiles are vermin. Blood sucking parasites preying on the most innocent of our society. The idea of accepting them as equals on the same level as consenting adults is repulsive to most folks other than them and the disgust they generate with their twisted views is not open to debate.
That's what 1950's society thought of homosexuals.

We keep having to re-adjust our definition of public decency and social acceptibility. Who's to say where it might be in fifty years?

The ancient world had its share of pederasty cultures, Greece and Rome ...

Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
That's what 1950's society thought of homosexuals.

We keep having to re-adjust our definition of public decency and social acceptibility. Who's to say where it might be in fifty years?

The ancient world had its share of pederasty cultures, Greece and Rome ...
By that logic then other things that were accepted then could be accepted now. Slavery,disposing of "defective" children at birth. Nope,that dog wont hunt. Plain and simple. Children are not sex objects. People who think that they are, or that a child is capable of having a sexual relationship with an adult as an informed and willing partner are predatory varmints that need culling from the gene pool.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
By that logic then other things that were accepted then could be accepted now. Slavery,disposing of "defective" children at birth. Nope,that dog wont hunt. Plain and simple. Children are not sex objects. People who think that they are, or that a child is capable of having a sexual relationship with an adult as an informed and willing partner are predatory varmints that need culling from the gene pool.
Do you realize I was playing devil's advocate on that one?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Because the Supreme Court justices understand basic biology. When a man can impregnate another man then we can talk.
Still not answering my question. I'll ask a 4th time:

If it's not mentioned in the Constitution, then why did the Supreme Court rule that laws banning interracial marriage are unconstitutional? Where did they find that in the Constitution?

Maybe you could start your answer by quoting that section of the Constitution.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
Quote:
Unlike others, your response was clear headed and thoughtful. Its about time someone can DEBATE and not WHINE.

Anyway, I am all for two adults falling in love and living happily ever after. And although the idea of two men having "sex" makes me want to vomit it is none of my business what they do to each other in the privacy of their own homes.

The problem is that there is a clear political agenda at work to chip away at the foundations of a decent American society. The gay "marriage" debate isn't about recognizing the love between a man and another man. Its about destroying Christian culture via Federal mandate.

A lot of liberals, but not all liberals, want nothing more than to take dynamite to what they see as an oppressive Christian culture of hard work, personal sacrifice, the nuclear family and normal heterosexual marital bliss.

It is an ongoing response to the standards of the Greatest Generation by the hippie "counter-culture" that rose in the 1960's. I'd bet most of the liberals in this thread were HEAVILY indoctrinated at liberal schools by former hippie college professors that hammered home the idea that regular marriage was wrong and everybody is oppressed by "the white man".

The reaction to normal relationships in this thread is frightening but not surprising. In 40 years you will hear the liberals of 2051 demanding that the universal sexual rights of children be recognized. They will point to how gay "marriage" was once seen as obscene too.

...and the beat goes on, I guess.

I know you complimented me at the beginning of your post, but the rest of your post is keeping me from saying "thank you."

You mention that you're afraid of the destruction of "Christian culture through federal mandate." Where do you get that from? Where in the Constitution does it say we are a Christian nation? Neither my wife nor I are Christian (I was raised Jewish but currently do not subscribe to any religion and my wife is Hindu). Are we allowed to live in your Christian nation?

The US is a diverse and complicated place. It's a pluralist nation where we have to take into account the fact that people came from many different places with many different ideas of how to live their lives. We can accommodate some ideas and reject others. For example:

There are many conservatives who believe that we "liberals" would accept shariah law, since we're usually more tolerant of Muslims. Despite the fact that Shariah law isn't as bad as most Americans think (I've visited and lived in a few moderate Muslim countries), I would reject any implementation of into our system. Why? It would violate our separation of church and state guaranteed to us under the first amendment. Not to mention, there are some element of shariah law that would conflict with our common law, and we can't have that.

With gay marriage, we're coming at it from a different angle. Let's face it, gay marriage is still a fairly new idea in America. It still seems different, and even a little strange to large amount of people. The more we learn about homosexuals, the more we understand that homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature AND with humans. And gays now want the same rights and privileges that their hetero counterparts have. What's wrong with that?

Your justification that it's "destroying christian culture" is preposterous. If stand against gay marriage simply because of your christian beliefs, than you obviously don't believe in and/or understand the first amendment. Under the first amendment, your church won't have to perform or recognize their marriage. Like I said earlier, you don't have to talk to gays, be friends with gays and you're welcome to teach your children that it's wrong (although that might give some problems in the future if one of your kids turns out to be gay).

I'm from Mass, and I joked earlier in the thread since we implemented gay marriage all four of our sports teams have one their respective championships. Obviously gay marriage had nothing to do with that (or did it?), but not much else has changed here. We're not a terribly religious state but I live near a number of churches and not one has been raided for their anti-gay views. Most DO accept gays, but they certainly are required to accept homosexuality.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Its about time someone can DEBATE and not WHINE.
We sure wouldn't want anyone to WHINE, would we?

Quote:
... a clear political agenda at work to chip away at the foundations of a decent American society. ... Its about destroying Christian culture via Federal mandate.

... want nothing more than to take dynamite to what they see as an oppressive Christian culture of hard work, personal sacrifice, the nuclear family and normal heterosexual marital bliss.
Oh.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
. Heck....NY just voted to allow same-gender marriage and NYC wants to become a wedding destination for gay people.

If all we've got for standards is to wet our finger and stick it into the wind to see which way it's blowing our morals will continue to slip.
Right. People will pour $$$ into NY's economy. You view this as a bad thing. As for your wet finger, you're on the wrong website, dude.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM

455 posts, read 633,096 times
The problem is that there is a clear political agenda at work to chip away at the foundations of a decent American society. The gay "marriage" debate isn't about recognizing the love between a man and another man. Its about destroying Christian culture via Federal mandate.

A lot of liberals, but not all liberals, want nothing more than to take dynamite to what they see as an oppressive Christian culture of hard work, personal sacrifice, the nuclear family and normal heterosexual marital bliss.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gay marriage or liberalism has nothing to do with "Christianity", people no longer want christian "values" forced upon them by the gov't, they want equality, thats all.

America is the last great bastion where otherwise intelligent people believe in "supernatural" nonsense that was written over 2000 yrs ago.People are entitled to believe what they choose, but at the end of the day, the constitution demands Equality, simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies