Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM

75 posts, read 54,056 times

Advertisements

One time back in 1813, a 30-year-old plantation owner had a discussion with his 15-year-old wife about the dangerous slippery slope of legalizing "miscegenation." "They want to let races intermarry... next thing you know they'll make it legal to marry a snake, or a kitchen table... and they'll make normal traditional marriages to 15-year-old girls illegal! The world is gone crazy I say," he probably said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM

443 posts, read 600,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Way to bump up a long dead thread.

Anyway...to reiterate...for millions of Americans marriage is STILL:

One Man.

One Woman.

Period.

If two men want to get "married" then fine, whatever.

But you can never force me and MILLIONS OF OTHER AMERICANS to reject our beliefs even though the Occupy Wall Street types call it "ignorance" and "bigotry".

You have your belief system and I'll have mine.

God Bless America for that!
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how many people you deny basic common rights because of the way they are born.

If you are a Christian I hope Jesus will forgive you for. A bigot can't see himself being ignorant because that is what ignorance is.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And the tv show "MASH" portrayed a cross-dresser as someone pretending to be crazy. Now, it's an accepted lifestyle. Heck....NY just voted to allow same-gender marriage and NYC wants to become a wedding destination for gay people.

If all we've got for standards is to wet our finger and stick it into the wind to see which way it's blowing our morals will continue to slip.
For sure. There was a time when women knew their place to shut up, stay in the kitchen and out of the voting booth and coloreds knew better than to mix with the whites and to take a back seat to them. Now people just willy nilly change their minds and think it's ok to give these people equal rights </SARCASM>

Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Way to bump up a long dead thread.

Anyway...to reiterate...for millions of Americans marriage is STILL:

One Man.

One Woman.

Period.

If two men want to get "married" then fine, whatever.

But you can never force me and MILLIONS OF OTHER AMERICANS to reject our beliefs even though the Occupy Wall Street types call it "ignorance" and "bigotry".

You have your belief system and I'll have mine.

God Bless America for that!
No one is forcing you to do anything.
You, on the other hand, are forcing your beliefs on other people.
See anything wrong with this picture?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Quote:
...and those neanderthals who think it is sick will be castigated and laughed at for being so backwards.

The views on morality will "evolve" and "progress" to the point where it will be wrong to deny the love of two people, one of whom will be a child.

Conservatives will be seen as bigots who would deny men, women and children the right to express their love.

There will be nationwide celebrations as each state makes adult-child marriage legal. And the people who are deeply offended by what they call a gross and inappropriate act will be shunned by a "progressive, modern society" that will be touted in the mass media.

Mark my words.
Even if your wacky predictions were half-way true: so what? You are one human. 99% of the planet doesn't care what you think and our lives will go on without your infinite knowledge.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well it could happen. The current wave of immigrants come from countries where they do marry off their daughters quite young so it might be just a matter of time for US law to be swayed by the growing majority of immigrants and their customs.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well it could happen. The current wave of immigrants come from countries where they do marry off their daughters quite young so it might be just a matter of time for US law to be swayed by the growing majority of immigrants and their customs.
It's already been that way in the US, no immigrants required. We have gone in exactly the opposite direction in our society, continually raising the age of consent for various things (including marriage), being way too childcentric for our own good ("think of the CHILDREN!!"), and keeping yesterdays adults in perpetual childhood. If kids could marry adults you need to define "kid" and "adult" before I'm going to care.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
A look at history shows that as societies have become more acceptable to the idea of homosexual marriages they become less acceptable to the idea of children marrying adults. Thirty year olds marrying fourteen year olds was quite common in our nation a century and a half ago. It is quite common in the Middle East today. Neither of those societies accepted gay marriage. Slippery slope arguments are always the last desperate attempt to justify an individuals side on an issue. The slippery slope argument in this case goes beyond the usual weaknesses of slippery slope arguments in that history has proven there is actually a negative correlation between societies accepting gay marriage versus marrying children. Only a total moron could make such an argument.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM

443 posts, read 600,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A look at history shows that as societies have become more acceptable to the idea of homosexual marriages they become less acceptable to the idea of children marrying adults. Thirty year olds marrying fourteen year olds was quite common in our nation a century and a half ago. It is quite common in the Middle East today. Neither of those societies accepted gay marriage. Slippery slope arguments are always the last desperate attempt to justify an individuals side on an issue. The slippery slope argument in this case goes beyond the usual weaknesses of slippery slope arguments in that history has proven there is actually a negative correlation between societies accepting gay marriage versus marrying children. Only a total moron could make such an argument.
Very nice post Anyways by looking at the OP's postings, your last sentence makes sense.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how many people you deny basic common rights because of the way they are born.

If you are a Christian I hope Jesus will forgive you for. A bigot can't see himself being ignorant because that is what ignorance is.
Jesus should forgive me for not having a liberal political agenda?

That makes no sense! (although I won't say that "only a total moron could make such an argument".)

Jesus talked a lot in the New Testament about the virtues of homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies