Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,031,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wonder if any of the Supremes actually watched the games they ruled on? Some of these games are brutal.
...And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM

419 posts, read 364,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can take a 3 year old to see a R rated movie, there is no national standard for not letting children see violence.

I let my son watch R rated movies and play Mortal Kombat with me. But I did the same stuff growing up, I feel fine. He'll be exposed to it sooner or later. I do not let my son watch sex or nudity though.
Its always better to expose the child yourself than let the outside world do it for you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,025,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I let my son watch R rated movies and play Mortal Kombat with me. But I did the same stuff growing up, I feel fine. He'll be exposed to it sooner or later.
I'm sure the Columbine shooters thought they were just fine and normal, too.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM

419 posts, read 364,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Your ASSuming how they felt. He his actually telling how he feels. Not the same.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Which has nothing to do with video games, as its' never been proven that violent video games result in violent behavior.

In fact, there's been plenty of studies that say that violent video games CURB violent behavoirs.

The only real people who are against violent video games are cavemen who lack any education on the subject.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,025,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Which has nothing to do with video games, as its' never been proven that violent video games result in violent behavior.
You don't seem to know that the Columbine shooters played violent video games religiously.

As for the rest of your post, I won't even justify it with attention.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to know that the Columbine shooters played violent video games religiously.
I do know that.

I also remember the particular focus on one of my favourite games, DOOM.

I also know that the video games had nothing to do with their rampage.

HOw many copies have DOOM sold?

And how many shootings have occured since DOOM came out that DOOM and other violent games were the direct cause of?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,413,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I do know that.

I also remember the particular focus on one of my favourite games, DOOM.

I also know that the video games had nothing to do with their rampage.

HOw many copies have DOOM sold?

And how many shootings have occured since DOOM came out that DOOM and other violent games were the direct cause of?
Wait wait wait... I'm pretty sure Columbine was Marilyn Manson's fault... or did the social cons change their story again?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,892,923 times
Ratings (on anything) should be merely a suggestion so parents understand what they are buying. I'm not exactly sure how I feel (especially as a gamer) with laws in regards to who can buy what games. I grew up back when Mortal Kombat made everyone angry at how gorey it was, LOL, but we grew up just fine. That's because my parents did this weird thing like, talking to us, and explained that ripping someone's head off is not polite.

Parents need to educate themselves on individual games, to be honest. You can have 2 "M" rated games, but they are entirely different as to why they are rated M. One you as parent may be totally against (lots of sex and drug use), but the other you may be OK with (senseless, but entertaining violence)

I guess I never gave it much thought. My parents were parents to me, so I never had to worry about these things. *shrugs*

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Wait wait wait... I'm pretty sure Columbine was Marilyn Manson's fault... or did the social cons change their story again?
Focus shifted from violent music to violent video games around the age of DOOM/Mortal Kombat.

It's hilairous, really, to see cavemen jump from media format to media format, blaming the media formats for their issues rather than looking to the actual issues.

Books to radios, radios to movies, then to movies and music, and then a shift to blame video games, which did lull in the light of more violent tv shows, and now in the wake of Duke Nukem Forever and MK9, a huge shift back to video games.

Seriously, if the media was to blame for all these violent outbreaks, there'd be alot less people alive nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies