Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,679,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Ron Paul has a few good ideas. And a handful of kooky, never-to-be-taken-seriously ideas, too. He's wise enough to understand that he'll never get his party's nomination. He runs to promote his agenda, nothing more.

So what is his agenda.. If we take the words of democrats and republicans seriously we are doomed and have been for some time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,580,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
So what is his agenda..
Listen to him and he'll tell you.

Quote:
If we take the words of democrats and republicans seriously we are doomed and have been for some time now.
I'm not as gloomy as you are.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,577,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Paul needs to quit the damn Republican crap party of corruption. He needs to run as in independent or a libertarian. Why he has hung on this long to a failed party is beyond me.
He has run as a Libertarian before. He actually addressed a question similar to this, and his reasoning is that we live in a two party world. But, to paint only Republicans as corrupt is nonsense. They are both just as corrupt as each other, which is why the system is set the way it is. Ever notice that no two presidents are that much different?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
The recent comparison of Bush and Obama negates your last statement.

Dr. Paul would have to start by teaching the Republicans, and not a few Democrats, basic ethics and decent behavior.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ron Paul supported Ronald Reagan before he was president and when he had the ideas of goldwater he was a libertarian leaning. About the only thing different today is the libertarian party promotes the legalization of drugs no much is really different then the LIMITED GOVERNMENT republicans fiscal and social. Not every republican was a bible thumping republican. My point the Republican party can be changed into a libertarian leaning party and influence the party to get it back to the party of taft and jefferson.
A party based on liberty is what I think America needs I don't care to label it.

I was thinking when Reagan was
President e.g. increased the size of government,
Grenada, Iran-Contra affair. I can't wrap my arms around RR - anytime during his political career.

A few of Paul's ideals are too Republicanisque
for me, but my main issue when choosing a President
is foreign policy - he's on target, in that regard

I've been a Libertarian my entire adult voting life.
We are more than just wanting the legalization of
drugs - much more and we vary greatly
from the Republican Party in regards to many things.
That is why, we are our own.... Party

Now, if the Republican party can get rid of the bible
thumpers e.g. New Tea Party, right wing evangelical base, and take a stand
for common sense military spending/intervention, and change their stance on most social issues 360 degrees, as well as on immigration, THEN you could say the Republican party is Libertarian leaning

What's interesting about this election, is that Obama
has proven that he continues the same policies of
Bush Jr to the point his left base does not want to
support him anymore.

Many of them, now see Ron Paul, as the ONLY RESCUE from two parties that have become one.

Libertarians, see Paul, as the son who ran away
from home (became a Republican). I'd
welcome him back but he'd have to change
his stance on immigration, first

Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 PM

4,144 posts, read 4,167,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Paul needs to quit the damn Republican crap party of corruption. He needs to run as in independent or a libertarian. Why he has hung on this long to a failed party is beyond me.
Simple. He cannot win on a 3rd party. The reason is simple. Most people are attach to their party, not people.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,925,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Simple. He cannot win on a 3rd party. The reason is simple. Most people are attach to their party, not people.
But it is the Independents that make the difference, nice being part of the smallest but most powerful group of voters.
Casper

Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,296,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If Ron Paul ran as a Libertarian he would never get elected. Which is why he pretends to be a Republican.
And he STILL WON'T GET ELECTED!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,679,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was thinking when Reagan was
President e.g. increased the size of government,
Grenada, Iran-Contra affair. I can't wrap my arms around RR - anytime during his political career.

A few of Paul's ideals are too Republicanisque
for me, but my main issue when choosing a President
is foreign policy - he's on target, in that regard

I've been a Libertarian my entire adult voting life.
We are more than just wanting the legalization of
drugs - much more and we vary greatly
from the Republican Party in regards to many things.
That is why, we are our own.... Party

Now, if the Republican party can get rid of the bible
thumpers e.g. New Tea Party, right wing evangelical base, and take a stand
for common sense military spending/intervention, and change their stance on most social issues 360 degrees, as well as on immigration, THEN you could say the Republican party is Libertarian leaning

What's interesting about this election, is that Obama
has proven that he continues the same policies of
Bush Jr to the point his left base does not want to
support him anymore.

Many of them, now see Ron Paul, as the ONLY RESCUE from two parties that have become one.

Libertarians, see Paul, as the son who ran away
from home (became a Republican). I'd
welcome him back but he'd have to change
his stance on immigration, first
I see so you want open borders generally as the libertarian party has wanted on and off.

Well I think I have some issues with immgrantion of which is really not a libertarian idea and or open borders.

1. Open borders and letting anyone in this country without a process and or security reasons without CITIZENS and individual liberties breeds people who don't understand their rights as AMERICANS. For generations we have people coming to country legally I see no reason to let a few million people who break the law be the policy of our SOVERITY. This isn't about individual rights and or even government power to me its about moral and or integrity of our borders and who is allowed to just come take whatever they want and do whatever they want with no identification and or process to believe in the values of LIBERTY. Other people take advantage of illegal immgrants since our government doesnt seem to actually care either way and look for votes come November. I don't understand why illegal immgrants get a pass on paying income tax and rest of us have too while millions follow our laws and constitutional path to citizenship I find this to be a VIOLATION of our soverity and those who are doing the right thing when it comes to entering this country.
In fact a legal and safe way of immgrantion would be best and if people would just follow the law of citizenship and sensable approach to border control would be best.

2. Social issues IE gay marriage if left to the states I find this to be a reasonable solution as long as rights in the constitutional are followed.
This is why we have the 10th amendment.

As far as the republicans go I agree that the bible thumping and control freaks of the republican party need to go but they have to go somewhere and they will vote. So since they appear to be in the republican party its time we change the republican party.

Ron Paul is a classic libertarian and paleoconservative which can be found in the libertarian and republican parties respectedly.

I do not vote for parties I vote for the values that promote individual liberty first which is why I am voting for Ron Paul. While not everyone can agree liberty of the individual must come first before we can solve any immgrantion and or security issues.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I can't vote for RP as long as he entertains his crazy 911 Truther followers. He has some good ideas and would do good at some positions in the WH, but not POTUS IMO. He's a bit feeble.
dunno where you get your stories from. Ron Paul has never had a 9/11 truther platform and never entertained it. That inaccurate portrayal is done by others who try to find anyway they can to discredit him. It's hard to do since he's been correct on every major policy. He voted against the housing Bill and told us why the economy because it passed. He told us a 9/11 would happen and the correct reasons for it before it did.

But truth be told you I doubt you were going to vote for him anyway. I have yet to meet someone who bases their Presidential vote on what that candidate thought of 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies