Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Since we are judging groups of people by the parade behaviour of a few........here's some from the "other" community, just for equal time.

YouTube - ‪Mom Flashes at Mardi Gras‬‏

YouTube - ‪Blondes Flashing @ Mardi Gras‬‏

YouTube - ‪Mardi Gras Experience - Partying, Nudity, Life‬‏

I think I made my point!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Since we are judging groups of people by the parade behaviour of a few........here's some from the "other" community, just for equal time.

I think I made my point!!!!!!
The problem with your argument is that Mardi Gras isn't called "The Heterosexual Pride Parade". Everybody knows that it's a special event that doesn't try to advance any political or social agenda. On the other hand, a Gay Pride Parade presents itself as a representation of gay people. In a world where homosexuals are still looked upon with some suspicion by huge numbers of people, it seems foolhardy to make it a free-for-all where anything goes.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The problem with your argument is that Mardi Gras isn't called "The Heterosexual Pride Parade". Everybody knows that it's a special event that doesn't try to advance any political or social agenda. On the other hand, a Gay Pride Parade presents itself as a representation of gay people. In a world where homosexuals are still looked upon with some suspicion by huge numbers of people, it seems foolhardy to make it a free-for-all where anything goes.
Not quite. The Gay Pride Parade is rooted in Christopher Street Liberation Day, the first parade following the Stonewall riots, which allowed gays to shove it all in the face of the government that had long repressed and persecuted them...

As such, this is simply a continuation of that first day of freedom.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I was watching the news the other night and saw footage of the gay pride parade in New York, following the decision of the state to legalize gay marriage.

I was struck by the dress and "costumes" of many of the participants. Men were dressed like women and women were dressed like men. Gay couples were dressed in traditional bride's and groom's clothing, mimicking the role of a male and female in marriage. Then there was the componant of men dressed in women's lingerie and leather apparel.

For any gays here, I am a little confused. I would offer that if I dressed in women's lingerie or black leather S&M clothing and paraded around the streets of our city, or in our neighborhood, I might be viewed as a deviant and a pariah. I can guarantee you that such behavior would be met with scorn and derision (as it should be).

I guess I am asking- how can the gay community demand "acceptance" by the heterosexual community and presume that the gay community is no different than the rest of the society with regard to social and ethical norms? I suppose that if one is trying to promote the image of deviance, dressing in women's clothing (if a male) and parading around in lingerie and leather might be just the ticket. However, if one is seeking incorporation into the general community and universal acceptance, perhaps this is not the best method.
you don't get it and you never will. if you're to lame to figure out that the book you base your life on is complete b.s. you can't be expected to undrerstand something as basic as this.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
What's wrong with the term "gay pride"? That pride parade presents itself as a representation of how some gay people celebrate. Why should those gay people be shackled by those to ignorant to figure out that all gay people aren't exactly alike.

Like I mentioned earlier, should I as a black man be upset about the BET awards when tatoo covered rappers cuss and degrade women on national tv? No, it's not a representation of me. They represent themselves. Anybody that doesn't understand that can go screw themselves.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Not quite. The Gay Pride Parade is rooted in Christopher Street Liberation Day, the first parade following the Stonewall riots, which allowed gays to shove it all in the face of the government that had long repressed and persecuted them...

As such, this is simply a continuation of that first day of freedom.
How many Americans know about that? How many gay Americans know about that? In both cases, probably close to none.

I'm sorry, but most people think that gay pride parades make gays look bad. That's the reality.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Most gay people don't identify with the majority of those images. It's just an entertainment factor and a fun day of celebration. It's a parade. Lighten up. There needs to be some entertainment factor involved. Since you're obviously too insecure about your own sexuality to understand that, maybe you shouldn't be watching these images.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I was watching the news the other night and saw footage of the gay pride parade in New York, following the decision of the state to legalize gay marriage.

I was struck by the dress and "costumes" of many of the participants. Men were dressed like women and women were dressed like men. Gay couples were dressed in traditional bride's and groom's clothing, mimicking the role of a male and female in marriage. Then there was the componant of men dressed in women's lingerie and leather apparel.

For any gays here, I am a little confused. I would offer that if I dressed in women's lingerie or black leather S&M clothing and paraded around the streets of our city, or in our neighborhood, I might be viewed as a deviant and a pariah. I can guarantee you that such behavior would be met with scorn and derision (as it should be).

I guess I am asking- how can the gay community demand "acceptance" by the heterosexual community and presume that the gay community is no different than the rest of the society with regard to social and ethical norms? I suppose that if one is trying to promote the image of deviance, dressing in women's clothing (if a male) and parading around in lingerie and leather might be just the ticket. However, if one is seeking incorporation into the general community and universal acceptance, perhaps this is not the best method.

Don't you realize the media is going to show the most extreme sights on the news?

You're not going to see the clean cut men and women who look "normal", or the parents marching with their adult gay children.

The media always shows the ones on the fringe.

They're not going to show you the Log Cabin Republicans when they can show Dykes on Bikes.

I remember being in San Franciso and walking by a sports bar with very average regular guys watching and shouting at the football game on the TV screen.

Happened to be a gay bar. No guys in dresses, and if you didn't know it was a gay bar it looked like every other sports bar in America.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
Quote:
Anyone else care to "explain" men wearing bras and panties in public? I just can't get enough of the rationalizations. It leads one to wonder what else would be rationalized- perhaps an incompetent president leading the nation to financial ruin?
Anyone else care to "explain" why women are wearing pants? I've even seen women wearing men's sneakers! What a bunch of freaks! And ties! The absolute horror!

It's absolutely amazing at how the homophobes always focus on men breaking gender. It all goes to their hatred of women and femininity. If you do anything seen as feminine you are being "bad" because, to them, feminine is bad. They don't focus so much on women doing traditional masculine things. Because masculine is good, being male is good while being female is bad.

Their focus on men wearing certain clothes certainly raises eyebrows. Why are you so focused on that? Why focusing so much on men? You'd think straight men wouldn't be looking at men so much? Thinking about what men wear constantly. It begins to raise questions....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
How many Americans know about that? How many gay Americans know about that? In both cases, probably close to none.

I'm sorry, but most people think that gay pride parades make gays look bad. That's the reality.
Really? First, what evidence do you have to support that assertion and second, who gives a shti what some uniformed idiots think. C'mon. Why should people not express themselves legally during a freaking parade exactly how they choose becuase "other people thinks it makes gays look bad". Those involved obviously don't think it makes them look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies