Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you identify with?
Catholic 19 12.58%
Protestant / Evangelical 24 15.89%
Eastern Orthodox 2 1.32%
Other Christian 8 5.30%
Jewish - Orthodox 0 0%
Jewish - Conservative 1 0.66%
Jewish - Reform / Liberal 4 2.65%
Baha'i 1 0.66%
Islam 0 0%
Hindu 1 0.66%
Buddhism 4 2.65%
Pagan / Wiccan 3 1.99%
Jain 0 0%
Sikh 0 0%
I don't consider myself religious but spiritual 16 10.60%
Atheist 34 22.52%
Agnostic 25 16.56%
Other 9 5.96%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes it is. It always has been.
Atheism is a religion in the same way not collecting stamps is a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? When and how has an atheist ever tried to push his or her beliefs on you?
Seriously? All the times atheist are announcing how religion is a shame and this and this is the reason why I'm an atheist today and charles darwin and stephen hawking and yadadadada. Please. Atheism is a religion. And that's okay! We respect your religious beliefs!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Seriously? All the times atheist are announcing how religion is a shame and this and this is the reason why I'm an atheist today and charles darwin and stephen hawking and yadadadada. Please. Atheism is a religion. And that's okay! We respect your religious beliefs!
Speaking of Darwin, he was so totally into eugenics it's not even funny. He hated minorities. That's who the Left holds up as an idealist

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Good god. I think some of you just like to argue.

Atheism is not a religion.

Atheism Myths: Is Atheism a Religion?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
That in no way answered my question. Again, when and how has an atheist ever tried to force his beliefs on you?

Here, I'll give you an example of how some religious folks do it:

If I were to move to Iran, Muslims have passed laws that make it illegal to do things contrary to sharia law like talk to women who aren't my family members.

I can't buy cars on Sunday (or liquor until last year) in Colorado because Christians passed laws in an attempt to keep Sunday a day of rest for me even though I don't share that belief.

Birth control use to be illegal in most (if not all) US states because Christians passed laws to ban it for everybody because it didn't mesh with their beliefs.

I can't marry my gay partner because Christians passed laws that impose their religious beliefs of what a church marriage should be upon our civil law despite the existence of people like me who do not share in those beliefs.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
That in no way answered my question. Again, when and how has an atheist ever tried to force his beliefs on you.

If I were to move to Iran, Muslims have passed laws that make it illegal to do things contrary to sharia law like talk to women who aren't my family members.

I can't buy cars on Sunday (or liquor until last year) in Colorado because Christians passed laws in an attempt to keep Sunday a day of rest for me even though I don't share that belief.

Birth control use to be illegal in most (if not all) US states because Christians passed laws to ban it for everybody because it didn't mesh with their beliefs.

I can't marry my gay partner because Christians passed laws that impose their religious beliefs of what a church marriage should be upon our civil law despite the existence of people like me who do not share in those beliefs.
Do you actually want to go there on this thread? I don't really think you do, or maybe you are just looking for a fight. Stop your whining.

And do you actually want examples of how atheists push their beliefs onto others? I was atheist and anyone who wanted to say something about God would get an earful from me. That's not pushing my beliefs on them?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you actually want to go there on this thread? I don't really think you do, or maybe you are just looking for a fight. Stop your whining.

I was atheist and anyone who wanted to say something about God would get an earful from me. That's not pushing my beliefs on them?
No, that's not.

If you tell me that I shouldn't be active on Sundays because God wants that to be a day of rest, that's not pushing your beliefs on me. However, if after telling me that, you pass and enforce laws requiring businesses to close on Sunday so that I'm forced to rest on Sunday, then you're forcing your beliefs on me.

If you tell me your personal religious belief is that a Chruch marriage is only between a man and a women, that's not pushing your beliefs on me. However, if after telling me that you pass and enforce laws banning me from contracting a civil marriage with another man, then you're forcing your beliefs on me.

If you tell me your personal religious belief is that the use of birth control is a sin and that I shouldn't do it, that's not pushing your beliefs on me. However, if after telling me that you pass a law making birth control illegal, then you're forcing your beliefs on me.

Do you understand the distinction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
And do you actually want examples of how atheists push their beliefs onto others?
Yes. That's why I keeping asking it.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Atheist isn't a religion.
Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Atheist follow a system in which they profess to believe that God does not exist, and faithfully follow that system everyday. Sounds like a religion to me.

BTW, I voted other Christian, but technically I do not belong to a religion. I belong to a non denominational church which follows Christian beliefs, or in other words we try (and often fail) to live up the the standards that Jesus set for us. As our pastor says regularly, "Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship with Jesus."

Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Quote:
That in no way answered my question. Again, when and how has an atheist ever tried to force his beliefs on you?

If you had Jesus you would nearly so pissed off Okay, if you don't want him, why not leave Colorado? BTW, if you have a gay partner, why are you concerned with birth control? She can't get you pregnant, even if she is your muslim cousin.

Sorry, another failed attempt at making humor of the human condition. Just kidding you.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by andrea3821
I was atheist and anyone who wanted to say something about God would get an earful from me. That's not pushing my beliefs on them?
That's been my experience. Not all atheists, but most of the ones I've met are as militant as the worst baptists in their belief--or lack thereof--in a God. Mention that you believe in God (without even saying "you should believe too")and expect to be ridiculed for being crazy, believing in "fairy tales" and basically being told that you're a moron for believing in any kind of higher power. This might explain why I don't hang out with many atheists, though agnostics are cool.

By the way, I'm a protestant evangelical who leans left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies