Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Next law suit....muslim wants to be hired at Hooters with a scarf on her head....that would be hilarious. I'm just joking.

I believe it is freedom of speech for a store to hire people who fit what they sell the best...

I don't think a store with over sized clothes will hire a size 1 to sell the clothes...

A hair salon with a muslim with a scarf is also crazy unless it is muslim orientated...

We used to own beauty salons and I would for sure not hire any one who wears a scarf or later on starts wearing a scarf or a head. Maybe a one time fashion statement but no more. You sell what you wear in fashion and you attract customers by what you store looks like and how the employees dress and act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
title vii says they can't hire on the basis of her religion. if they hired her, then they obviously weren't discriminating on the basis of her religion. hijabs aren't a requirement of islam, it's attire, which is why law supports businesses rights to enforce what they can wear to work. they did a tv show on this a few months ago, about religious attire at work and the businesses were right. you can be whatever religion you want and they can't not hire based on that, but they can not hire based on what you're wearing.

she won't win.
You don't know what you're talking about. A&F lost a similar case 2 years ago re wearing a hijab.

Tulsa federal judge rules against Abercrombie & Fitch in lawsuit over hijab | Tulsa World

That stubborn Look Policy company will lose again.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM

154 posts, read 216,863 times
Tulsa federal judge rules against Abercrombie & Fitch in lawsuit over hijab | Tulsa World

Quote:
A Tulsa federal judge ruled Wednesday in favor of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in its lawsuit against Abercrombie & Fitch for not hiring a Muslim teenager who wore a hijab, or religiously mandated headscarf.

U.S. District Judge Gregory Frizzell found that the company did not show that it would have sustained any significant “undue hardship” if it had accommodated the religious beliefs of Samantha Elauf, who in June 2008 applied to work in a sales position at the Abercrombie Kids store in Tulsa’s Woodland Hills Mall.

Frizzell’s decision means a jury will determine what, if any, damages should be awarded. The trial is tentatively scheduled to start July 18.

The EEOC filed the lawsuit in September 2009 in U.S. District Court in Tulsa, citing the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 as the basis for the action.
I thought she WAS hired and THEN fired??? That's what I was being led to believe... Ahh well.

Is this the case stemming from a couple years ago I keep reading about in this thread... ?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Next law suit....muslim wants to be hired at Hooters with a scarf on her head....that would be hilarious. I'm just joking.

I believe it is freedom of speech for a store to hire people who fit what they sell the best...

I don't think a store with over sized clothes will hire a size 1 to sell the clothes...

A hair salon with a muslim with a scarf is also crazy unless it is muslim orientated...

We used to own beauty salons and I would for sure not hire any one who wears a scarf or later on starts wearing a scarf or a head. Maybe a one time fashion statement but no more. You sell what you wear in fashion and you attract customers by what you store looks like and how the employees dress and act.

Would bald people - of any color - be able to cut hair in your magical fairytale discriminatory fantasy?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
“Growing up in this country where the Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of religion, I felt let down,’’ Khan, now a college student studying political science, said at a news conference. “This case is about principles, the right to be able to express your religion freely and be able to work in this country.’’
As a political science student, she should know that working in this country is not a right.

If working were a right, unemployment would be 0%.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I wonder if a Christian working at a Planned Parenthood clinic would be allowed to wear an "abortion is murder" tee-shirt to work? It's the same situation as here, she's choosing to wear an article of clothing to make a religious statement.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's the company's loss because they have pretty much just put out an anti-Islam image of themselves and will lose potential customers and employees as a result.
I disagree. Any company that stands up to Islam will likely get tons of business.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAR84 View Post

I thought she WAS hired and THEN fired??? That's what I was being led to believe... Ahh well.

Is this the case stemming from a couple years ago I keep reading about in this thread... ?
This thread is about a New case. A&F management don't learn. They'll lose again, as they should.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Ahh... my bad. I thought the link was relevant! d'oh!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

After reading your post I immediately rushed to Victoria's Secret. It goes without saying that I was quite disappointed by the dress of the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies