Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,821,242 times

Advertisements

Their partisan activism continues. It's the old, "one dollar, one vote" concept.

High court strikes down taxpayer-supported campaign spending law – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,428,514 times
the SCOTUS is correct

Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,721,436 times
Too funny, fringe candidates aren't going to get tax payer money!! Oh the humanity!!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM

58,720 posts, read 27,070,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Their partisan activism continues. It's the old, "one dollar, one vote" concept.

High court strikes down taxpayer-supported campaign spending law – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
You wouldn't be posting a biased opinion would you?

I'll bet you praised the SC when the gave their verdict on Roe vs. Wade and you didn't call that "partisan activism".

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,293,490 times
Quote:

This is an excellant ruling. Taxpayers should not have to support candidates whose ideas are not supported by the population at large (which is why they weren't able to raise enough money in the first place).

Even better, I like Florida.Bob's idea of one dollar, one vote. Everyone should be allowed one vote for each 5,000 dollars they pay in income taxes. Let those who support this country have a greater say in electing those who run the country.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,926,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
This is an excellant ruling. Taxpayers should not have to support candidates whose ideas are not supported by the population at large (which is why they weren't able to raise enough money in the first place).

Even better, I like Florida.Bob's idea of one dollar, one vote. Everyone should be allowed one vote for each 5,000 dollars they pay in income taxes. Let those who support this country have a greater say in electing those who run the country.
The problem is not with the population at large within that State, but funding from out of state sources. Candidates are getting money from both pro democrat and pro republican billionaires who wish to set a national agenda. I wish some brave lawmaker would introduce a bill to make a constitutional amendment to restrict thes out of state money adds and PACs. Forget about taxpayers having to compete with billionaires, just get rid of the out of state money interests.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,497,374 times
Quote:

So you think your tax dollars should go to someones campaign. What if it all when to the Conservative candidates?

Would you think the SC was wrong then?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,821,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You wouldn't be posting a biased opinion would you?

I'll bet you praised the SC when the gave their verdict on Roe vs. Wade and you didn't call that "partisan activism".
You mean the 7-2 decision, no I didn't, and I was pretty Conservative on most issues at that time. Plus, the Supremes were still using the Constitution and Precedence as guides for decisions then.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,192,158 times
It wouldn't be such a bad idea if ALL campaign contributions were paid into a STATE's campaign fund to be distributed to ALL candidates for ALL offices in State elections... EQUALLY.

Federal contributions to be divided among the states according to electoral votes.

City and County campaign funds handle in the same fashion, only locally.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,296 times
Quote:

I gotta say...I'm honestly undecided on that one...but if you're against it, I am almost forced to conclude it was probably a good ruling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies