Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

yes I did.

I went from conservative to Libertarian. I finally realized that the republican party was just as bad as the democrat party and that both wanted nothing more than more goverment. Also I realized that the politicians did not really care about the people they were supposed to be serving, they just cared about their power and their lust for more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
I was somewhat of a lib.

When I was ****ing 12.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM

142 posts, read 358,290 times
Nice try but Clinton reduced the deficit and also reduced the national debt. The facts are very clear on this - Bush 43 inherited the Clinton surplus and decided this money was "our" money and he proceeded to cut taxes disproportionately towards the wealthy. If that wasn't enough, Bush then decided to wage 2 wars all the while keep tax rates on the wealthy at historic low rates.
If anyone were to change their political philosophy it would have been conservatives who witnessed a very un-conservative President Bush and Republican Congress spend our money like drunken sailors - I guess that's what started the Tea Party.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
I dont belive in having one political philosophy, mines is a mixed one that is ever changing depending on the circumastances. Bush's incompetence, the republicans embrace of ignorance and the democrats lack of courage and strength make me an independent i guess.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I was a big fan of Bill Clinton...until he got into office and started to "govern".

So my philosophy changed.

Quite apropos I believe to the title and the topic.
Yea, sure you were a fan of Bill Clinton.

I mean, what would his misconduct have to do with your basic political philosophy? I didn't like his behavior either, but i sure as hell don't see what that has to do with being a Democrat. What, Repubs aren't unfaithful and aren't into crony capitalism?

Anyway, yes, i changed my philosophy. I used to be a Democrat. I joined the Army, and fell for all the government bullsh*t. Yea, i believed in all that crap about watching the Iron Curtain and how we needed to stop communism from spreading. I believed in the Reagan Military buildup (for two seconds), and all of the other garbage that went along with being a run-of-the-mill Democrat back in the 80's.

Then i discovered actual liberalism and smartened up.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, sure you were a fan of Bill Clinton.

I mean, what would his misconduct have to do with your basic political philosophy? I didn't like his behavior either, but i sure as hell don't see what that has to do with being a Democrat. What, Repubs aren't unfaithful and aren't into crony capitalism?

Anyway, yes, i changed my philosophy. I used to be a Democrat. I joined the Army, and fell for all the government bullsh*t. Yea, i believed in all that crap about watching the Iron Curtain and how we needed to stop communism from spreading. I believed in the Reagan Military buildup (for two seconds), and all of the other garbage that went along with being a run-of-the-mill Democrat back in the 80's.

Then i discovered actual liberalism and smartened up.
Funny how in other threads you go on and on about who does and doesn't know black people based on your fantasy assumptions even though you have never met the people you judge but here you are positive that I never supported Bill Clinton...even though we have never met.

I guess pretending to know stranger's backgrounds is just an aspect of liberalism.

Another aspect of liberalism, it seems, is watching a man s*** all over his own family but somehow expect that man to care about you and your concerns.

Kinda like those liberals who came out screaming support for Anthony Weiner even after he admitted lying to their faces for a solid week all over the TV.

Liberals...gluttons for punishment.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Nice try but Clinton reduced the deficit and also reduced the national debt. The facts are very clear on this - Bush 43 inherited the Clinton surplus and decided this money was "our" money and he proceeded to cut taxes disproportionately towards the wealthy. If that wasn't enough, Bush then decided to wage 2 wars all the while keep tax rates on the wealthy at historic low rates.
If anyone were to change their political philosophy it would have been conservatives who witnessed a very un-conservative President Bush and Republican Congress spend our money like drunken sailors - I guess that's what started the Tea Party.
Way to address the topic there, sparky.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times
I was a staunch conservative. I bought all of the rhetoric about having to fight overseas wars, about defending the "institution of marriage", about fighting the war on drugs... anybody who thought otherwise was a pinko-commie. I joined the military and was about as much of a red-blooded American as you've ever met. Eventually, I questioned why I believed in these things and I came to the realization that I believed what I was told to believe. After a bit of self-reflection, reading some history, absorbing a bit of classical literature, and investigating a bit of philosophy I arrived at libertarianism.

Looking at the history of the world, I've found countless examples of people living in grinding poverty while governments lived in opulent wealth from the fruits of their labor. I've also noted that when people are free to own property, express ideas, and rule themselves, prosperity has flourished. When allotted the opportunity, people have amazing creativity and surprising generosity.

As people, we tend to pursue our own self-interest, and if there is limited opportunity to steal from, defraud, harm, or enslave others (i.e. a system of justice), the pursuit of self interest brings about voluntary, self-regulating mutually beneficial relationships with others. Through relationships with others, great wealth can be generated: Both society & technology advance as people strive for better ways to serve one-another for the purpose of improving their own lot in life.

I still believe that I'm a red-blooded American, but I think that I have a different understanding of what that means. During the Revolutionary War, Americans fought for freedom from government - every man a king. I see the freedom that they won being slowly whittled away and I think that it's my job as an American to do what I can to (peacefully) stop that from happening. To me, the idea of personal liberty is something bigger than any one of us, but that benefits all of us. We should be righteously indignant towards those who suggest that we cannot rule our own lives and make our own decisions. In my opinion, that righteous indignation is solidly libertarian.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,290 times
OP Trollin hard.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,592 times
I've continued to move towards a libertarian standpoint. I used to be against gay marriage, but realized about 2 years ago that opposing it so strongly was pointless. You can pass any law or legislation you want, but at the end of the day that person will still gay, lesbian, bi.

I've gone more towards the right on fiscal matters, especially defense stuff. I've come the realization that being for defense cuts does NOT make me anti-American, it means I want fiscal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies