Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

In an HOA I would expect the have rules forcing people to pick up after their dogs.

The fact that we actually have technology to do DNA testing is amusing to me, but since I'm not actually the one doing it I say sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
As others have said...I see no problem with this. It probably wouldn't have gotten to this point if lazy people would have picked up after their dogs in the first place.

Last edited by BiggJoe4181; 06-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Well, this is a pretty shocking development to add to the HOA horror stories on C-D:

Residents at the Village of Abacoa, a condominium complex in Jupiter, are going to have an extra fee come August.

The condo association said residents with pets are not picking up after their animals, and it's costing the association in clean-up fees.The association said the problem of owners not cleaning up after their pets is getting out of control, and they had no choice but to start DNA testing the feces.

Starting Aug. 1, residents in the Jupiter community must each pay a $200 fee to keep the dogs' genetic information on file at the DNA Pet World Registry. Dog droppings found in common areas will be collected and mailed to the Tennessee-based company for comparison.

The association's property manager said any owner whose dog matches the poop sample will be fined up to $1,000 or a lien could be placed on their homes. A dog that's a persistent problem could be confiscated.

I can see the lawyers circling overhead now.
Unless the bylaws of the HOA gives him the express power, the association's property manager cannot unilaterally decide anything. *any* changes to the covenants and restrictions, including fines, etc., must be voted on by all members of the association.

This is precisely why I do not have anything to do with HOAs at all. They are all power freaks.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The story comes from Florida. We have WAY too many busybodies down here running HOAs. They are all retired people and have nothing better to do than get in other people's business.
I seriously doubt the part of the article that talkes about dogs going poop on carpeted areas. This is about poop in the grass in common areas. There is nothing unnatural or wrong with dogs doing their business in the grass. When it rains, which it does often in Florida, it is washed in to the ground and help to fertalize the grass. Besides, no one plays outside anyway because it is just too hot down here.
We have a bigger problem with HUMANS leaving their poop places. Go to the public bathrooms on Miami Beach and you will see poop on the floor. Homeless bums and other druggies crap everywhere. Noone is making htem register their DNA.

Roger, serously you should get yourself elected to the HOA board, and get some like minded folk elected with you and run the idiots off.

Or move to a location where freedom and property rights are honored.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Roger, serously you should get yourself elected to the HOA board, and get some like minded folk elected with you and run the idiots off.

Or move to a location where freedom and property rights are honored.
Haha. You do realize HOAs are freely entered into agreements between private citizens.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
There is nothing unnatural or wrong with dogs doing their business in the grass.
Nobody has claimed it is unnatural, what they take issue with is people not cleaning it up in public use areas.

Quote:
When it rains, which it does often in Florida, it is washed in to the ground and help to fertalize the grass. Besides, no one plays outside anyway because it is just too hot down here.
And many days it doesn't rain, and people should have the right to use that grass without fear of dog waste regardless of your perception of who wants to use it.

This sounds like a typical selfish attitude, you don't want to use the grass to who cares if it is ruined for everyone else. You are the reason HOAs exist, people who only think about themselves.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
This problem has nothing to do with HOA's, it is a universal problem occurring everywhere. There is a beach city is So Calif that is doing the same thing and I think it's a great idea. It's too bad many inconsiderate pet owners who can't be bothered to pick up after their pets. It would be great to know where the offenders live and the poo could be returned. They are lazy and have no respect for other people.
We are pet owners who always have a bad handy for any situations which may arise. The pet bags are inexpensive and easy to use and dispose of. Some people are just lazy and inconsiderate..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
This problem has nothing to do with HOA's, it is a universal problem occurring everywhere. There is a beach city is So Calif that is doing the same thing and I think it's a great idea. It's too bad many inconsiderate pet owners who can't be bothered to pick up after their pets. It would be great to know where the offenders live and the poo could be returned. They are lazy and have no respect for other people.
We are pet owners who always have a bad handy for any situations which may arise. The pet bags are inexpensive and easy to use and dispose of. Some people are just lazy and inconsiderate..
I'm not sure which is worse - a pet owner who doesn't clean up after his pet or a smoker who litters the ground with a dozen or two cigarette butts a day.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
When I had a house I served on a committee of our HOA. I was on the grievance committee that people came to to appeal rulings against them. It was amazing how many nit-pick things board members could find as an excuse to issue notices of infraction or fines against people. I never found one infraction that was worth upholding and always sided with the people and against the HOA. Actually, I was amazed that they never kicked me off the board but it seems that the officers were more interested in issuing citations than actually enforcing any of them. I guess just the issuing of them was enough to feed their power trips and get them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
And many days it doesn't rain, and people should have the right to use that grass without fear of dog waste regardless of your perception of who wants to use it.
Trust me, in South Florida communities the only people you see outside during the day walking are out there to walk their dogs. Kids do not play outside in neighborhoods. It is just too hot. The only outdoor activities are at the beach and dogs are restricted there anyway.
As for "fear" of dog waste, I think that is exaggerated, unless one has a phobia. I am much more concerned about stepping on gum someone has discarded. I have stepped on chewing gum many times in my life but I have never stepped in dog poop.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not sure which is worse - a pet owner who doesn't clean up after his pet or a smoker who litters the ground with a dozen or two cigarette butts a day.
Interesting point. Somehow many smokers get it in their head that it cig butts don't count. I don't think they would take the wrapper from a piece of gum and throw it on the ground, yet don't think twice about tossing the equivalent out their car window or under their shoe.

Not sure why this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies