Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Prior to flying out of San Francisco on Sunday night, Jeremy Fuller, a contract employee and tire changer, posted on Twitter a photo of a gay pride banner on a car with the comment, “This is way [sic] I don’t live here!”

One of his Twitter followers responded with a tweet that read, “if we could get rid of them, it’d be a lot better.”

It appeared that Fuller later replied to that tweet, but did not retweet the original message. The response read: “lol.. Don’t we all wish!”
Red Bull crewman fired for homophobic tweets | NASCAR News Now - SceneDaily.com

Yes, he worked for a private company and they had a right to fire him, but if he had been a gay guy making anti-heterosexual comments, do you think he would have been fired? I seriously doubt it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Of course he would not have been fired and honestly it'll be entertaining for anyone to suggest he would.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
How does the employer know they weren't talking about the car?

I'd never let an employer know what my actual twitter handle was.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
People who publicly post their opinions on stuff for the world to see deserve what's coming their way. If you wouldn't say those words to your employer, don't post them publicly for your employer to read.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
How does the employer know they weren't talking about the car?
Well, because this is the picture he took:

http://*****s4gears.com/2011/06/28/r...pped-my-wings/ (The ***** is for "q u e e r".)

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Yes, he worked for a private company and they had a right to fire him, but if he had been a gay guy making anti-heterosexual comments, do you think he would have been fired? I seriously doubt it.

Do you think that he should be allowed to keep his job?

What if you substituted blacks or jews for gays in the tweets would that help change your perspective?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:

Actually, from what I've read, he was fired because his comments made his employer (team Red Bull) look bad. Had he not had his employer identified on his twitter profile, he may have had a 'talking to' by said employer, but would likely not have been fired. And, again from what I've read, I believe anti- heterosexual comments (or anti-anything) would have had the same result.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:

Seriously, how often do you hear homosexuals making anti-heterosexual remarks? If you're going to throw out hypotheticals, at least make them plausible.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Do you think that he should be allowed to keep his job?
Whether he got to keep his job or not is secondary to the hypocrisy that I see in situations like this. And he wasn't even speaking to a coworker. He was innocently sending a message to his followers on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Seriously, how often do you hear homosexuals making anti-heterosexual remarks? If you're going to throw out hypotheticals, at least make them plausible.
I do hear it. Two recent examples:

"He's nice - for a straight guy." - said to me by a gay doctor when talking about another doctor in town who is straight

"Straight guys are too stupid to figure that out." - said to me by a gay friend when talking about a particular news story

Don't fool yourself into thinking that gays are angels and never make anti-hetero comments.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
He made the company look bad. He was innocently saying, joking or not, it'd be nice to rid the world of homosexuals. Companys have an image to uphold, and typically, bigots sully that image. So, he was fired.

I've never heard of a gay person wanting to rid the world of straights though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies