Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,264,864 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a crime to me...but maybe not. What do you people with legal expertise think?

Southern Baptists Fall Prey to Elaborate Gay Marriage Hoax | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

"The plot included a fake web site, news releases — even a phone number — all intended to falsely convince reporters and the public that America’s largest Protestant denomination had changed its stance on gay marriage. FOX News has more:"

"The release was sent to an unknown number of reporters and directed readers to a website designed to replicate the real Southern Baptist Convention website, along with working telephone numbers where individuals identified themselves as employees of the SBC Executive Committee…"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,824 times
I know it isn't a life threatening issue, but it could be slander in the courts.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,953,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Sounds like a crime to me...but maybe not. What do you people with legal expertise think?

Southern Baptists Fall Prey to Elaborate Gay Marriage Hoax | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

"The plot included a fake web site, news releases — even a phone number — all intended to falsely convince reporters and the public that America’s largest Protestant denomination had changed its stance on gay marriage. FOX News has more:"

"The release was sent to an unknown number of reporters and directed readers to a website designed to replicate the real Southern Baptist Convention website, along with working telephone numbers where individuals identified themselves as employees of the SBC Executive Committee…"
Christians such as myself who support civil unions and legal protections, will view this as an attack on our faith. I don't believe it's wise to slap the face of those who would support your agenda on certain issues.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,078,020 times
And in response, Southern Baptists pulled a prank on gays by supporting laws taking away their civil rights, ridiculing and scorning them, and condemning them to an eternity burning it hell.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,031,314 times
It could be seen as slander and misrepresentation, however, it's not the first time something like this has occurred.

Landover baptists. An onion-like website that makes fun of hardcore christians, yet puts up a front as if it's all in seriousness.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM

7,795 posts, read 6,366,958 times
Sounds like libel to me. Has to cause some kind of harm though, which remains to be seen.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,260,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Christians such as myself who support civil unions and legal protections, will view this as an attack on our faith. I don't believe it's wise to slap the face of those who would support your agenda on certain issues.
You are not supporting their agenda. They want to be married. Evangelicals such as yourself are imposing your faith on others by preventing two people that you have nothing to do with to marry each other. That's like me imposing my beliefs upon Southern Baptists and forcing them to drink and dance. How would you like that?

It's not about your beliefs, it's about the constitution and freedom of religion. You have no right to impose your religious beliefs and claim two people of the same gender can't get married because it's against your religious beliefs. You can believe whatever you want but where it's a problem is when you tell others what they can and can't do. That is what the Taliban does.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Sounds like a crime to me...but maybe not.
What's the crime? Conducting a hoax? That's not a crime in itself.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And in response, Southern Baptists pulled a prank on gays by supporting laws taking away their civil rights, ridiculing and scorning them, and condemning them to an eternity burning it hell.
I'm not a Southern Baptist, but doubt that they ridicule or scorn gays. Hard core Christian fundamentalists, at most, generally, feel sorry for gays and welcome them into the arms of forgiveness. I understand that many gays don't want to be forgiven; just accepted. But still, its no reason to call those who think differently, "scorners," etc.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What's the crime? Conducting a hoax? That's not a crime in itself.
Impersonating a website or pretending to be someone else???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies