Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What do you think those animals are?
All animals are 'mere food' somewhere along the line,humans included.
Well, I don't share that view at all. I am a human, and as such I do not consider myself an animal. I don't kill animals except in self-defense. And since I don't kill animals, I would be a hypocrite if I ate them. Thus I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one in thier right mind wants to see any animal treated poorly, but look at who made the video or who choose to share it. The minute I see Huffington, I automatically take it with a grain of salt.

I am sure large commericail farms could treat the animals more humanely, I have heard this for years, so I guess we all need to become vegetarians..or, be prepared to pay 3 times more for meat. What about chickens, do we all buy only free range or eggs from free range chicks?

I have to agree with the person or responders who have said here, we have so many issues that need attention and this isn't number one on most lists.

Nita
Yes, I only purchase chicken and eggs that have been raised cage free. I never, buy from Tyson, Simmons, or Pilgrims Pride. 1) their business practices are designed to keep their growers in debt, and some chicken growers filed suite against some of the companies. I had a long conversation with a young man raised in Arkansas, whose father was a chicken grower and he told me a lot about Tyson's practices when his father was a grower for Tyson. This was long before some growers chose to file a suite against Pilgrims Pride. 2) Anyone who lives in AR should know the business practices of one of their state's predominate businesses. The chicken corporations are notorious for hiring undocumented workers. 3) the growers for those companies are forced to pump those chicks full of growth hormones.

If anyone wants to buy those chickens raised that way and from a company who treats their American growers like chicken ca-ca while hiring illegal workers then go right ahead.

As for the pigs, I stand firm. I knew there would be people who would find a way to justify this heinous torture. I can only feel sorry for your soul. Myself, I choose to ohter options. I either pay more for organic, but am discussing purchasing directly and going in with other people. The nice thing about being in a state like OK is almost all of us know someone who raises beef or pork, or we know someone who knows someone. We can fairly easily get beef or pork that has not been raised in the manner depicted in the video.

It's easier to bury ones head in the sand than it is to watch the torture an animal endures before it hits the belly.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
ive been trying to cut down on meat for awhile, just because i know the crap i get is horrible and loaded with chemicals, preservatives, etc.

the way these animals are treated are a great indicator to how healthy the meat you will be eating is.

the conditions are very poor and unsanitary, and we just eat it up every day.
I agree,there is a good reason the various livestock is pumped full of antibiotics...

Quote:
what i really want to do is start eating organic meat.
Should be easy enough to find,you will pay for it though.

Quote:
how do we fix it? no clue.
As I posted earlier,it can't be 'fixed' when demand requires 9 BILLION plus chickens be slaughtered a year.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
thats a better way i think. how much does a hog or cow cost anyways?

and i dont think its like that everywhere, but i think it happens enough for me to evaluate whether i should be eating this stuff or if i should go the organic route.
Look on Craigslist in the 'farm and garden' section....

Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I'll tell ya there is a difference. Chickens that get sunlight and can be out in the dirt and grass have an almost orange color to their yolks..not the pale yellow color you see in supermarket eggs.
When we had chooks,the eggs were INCREDIBLE!!!

SO much better than those sold at the supermarket.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, I don't share that view at all. I am a human, and as such I do not consider myself an animal.
Really?
What are you,a vegetable?

Quote:
I don't kill animals except in self-defense.
Not even an insect,wow,you would make a good Buddhist.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Really?
What are you,a vegetable?

Not even an insect,wow,you would make a good Buddhist.
Being a human is more than just being an animal. My way of life is completely different from all animals. Some primitive tribes in the rain forest might still live more or less like chimps, but we don't.

I used to be a Buddhist with a strong leaning towards Jainism

Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I used to be a Buddhist with a strong leaning towards Jainism
Do you kill insects?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Do you kill insects?
Only mosquitoes as I don't know if they give me dangerous diseases. It is in self-defense. I don't kill other insects or spiders.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM

448 posts, read 533,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
with all due respect, there are more important issues with people to solve before we worry about how pigs are treated. Is this actually worth our time?
thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies