Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,150,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That treaty (just like other things such as the composition of the permanent members of the UN security council) is a remainder of Western imperialism, which is why nobody really cares about it. There is no reason why France or the US should have nukes while others may not.
umm russia is a good reason to have a nuclear aresonal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,145,982 times
It's interesting that Saudi feels threatened by IRAN having nuclear weaponry, but not ISRAEL having them.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,000,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's interesting that Saudi feels threatened by IRAN having nuclear weaponry, but not ISRAEL having them.
How do you know that they actually fear a nuclear Iran? They SAY they do, but that's not saying much. Sounds to me that they simply fear Iran MORE than they fear Israel regardless of nuclear power, and by voicing the same concerns that Israel has about Iranian nukes, they feel that they can pressure us into doing something about it. I doubt very seriously that the Saudis believe that a nuclear Iran will attack them since they know Iran's history as well or better than we do. Iran hasn't historically been an aggresive nation militarily (not counting their proxies). The Saudis want us to keep eliminating their powerful enemies....like we did in the case of Iraq.

The answer should be HELL NO! If Iran gets a nuke, then deal with it. Aint our job to meddle in Iran's affairs. The Saudis shouldn't be trying to blackmail us by threatening to build a nuke. Sh*t...build it then. I don't give a damn.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
More like Mutually Assured Distraction.

It is interesting that the only countries we have not attacked at the behest of the petroleum monopoly already have nuclear weapons.

I could care less what happens to the Saudi's. Actually a devastating war with Iran would be kind of fun to watch if we could evacuate the womwn and children from Arabia first.
the Saudi's have a pretty decent military seeing as it is pretty much comprised of all of our hardware.

YouTube - ‪saudi army‬‏

well Iran does not have a modren air force and my guess is they have old russian tanks and the saudi forces should roll through them and now i am wonder why the saudi military did not help us out with the libya mission or a squad of f-16E models and apache gun ships would of been useful.

YouTube - ‪The Iranian Military Power and Technology‬‏
a F-16 with the latest gen radar jamming and guidence system vs mig 29's and F-14's from the 1970's that were downgraded and soviet era hind gunships.

I don't care if they do fight but Iran only really has the S-300 SAM and that could be a problem for the f-16 but hey atleast we can stay out and watch from the sidelines

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Actually a devastating war with Iran would be kind of fun to watch if we could evacuate the womwn and children from Arabia first.
It certainly would be, especially from a strategic standpoint. Where would Iran drop its bombs? The only two worthwhile targets in all of Saudi Arabia are oil fields...and Mecca. It would be absolutely fascinating to see what Iran would do in such a case.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM

800 posts, read 776,754 times
I would really just enjoy watching the middle east fight each other, then clamor for us"colonialists" to return

Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Every nation on Earth should have nuclear weapons.
why I live in Canada why would we need nuclear weapons when we are part of NORAD and NATO we already bought 65 F-35s to replace are fleet of aging F-18s and we would get more use out of those.

I would say we should of got a few F-15SE because the F-35 is not really great at anything but a ok multi-role jet. but russia has it beat with the sukhoi T-50 which is built more like the discontinued F-22.

I guess it depends what country you live in and what threats you face and what your country can buy . I mean in Canada during our 10 year combat role afghanistan that wheeled APCs are not that great So we went out and and bought a bunch of leopard 2M6 main battle tanks and 40 62 ton tanks made a diffrence.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,969,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Every nation on Earth should have nuclear weapons.
Half the nations on Earth -- Andorra, anyone? Lesotho? The Bahamas? Nepal? -- would be crippled by the mere cost of maintaining a nuclear deterrent, much less building one in the first place.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 14,436 times
Iran is completely surrounded though, so one could argue they are 'provoked'

The U.S. has/had mil bases in all the countries that surround Iran- Armenia, Turkey, Iraq, Afghanistan.. etc Then on the other side, Iran has its *allegedly* not so friendly neighbors like the Emirates, who have some land disputes with.

Its the unfriendly arab conflicts that brought so many Iranians to the U.S. in the first place, escaping the chemical war of Saddam. But now the government is giving weapons to Iraqi forces...

On the inside Iran has politics as polar as America... the Iranian people KNOW that the world is against them and a huge percentage estimated at 50% do not like the current government for provoking so much hostility. Like any place, the cities are more liberal than the country side.

basically the gov of iran is doing whatever they want irrespective of the people, and also is going into manic survival mode, because it feels so threatened. after japan, why would anyone want nuclear anything?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,330,273 times
It's trade routes and resources. The expected population growth will be absolutely centered as close to the resources as possible.

Do you know how people survive? They need food and water. The water keeps us hydrated and all the energy flowing. The food part is consumed through farming (not farmville) and keeping of livestock.

Your body consumes that product through a chemical burn process instigated by your alimentary canal.

Cooking food has been found to break it down faster which allows the digestive tract to absorb the nutrients even faster.

Anyways, the important part to understand is that you require resources as a human being. That means, on a finite planet, somewhere down the line there will be a breaking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies