Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

TO those bemoaning how fat/obese people are viewed,is this man nice to look at?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You had only posted one link when I replied,the second.READ it again.
Well............then read the other one!

Quote:
Of course they can participate,they won't be very good at it however.
By hopping? That would be fair if you put a group of hoppers together and had a race.

Quote:
YOUR link basically uses the same premise(fat kids not getting picked for school teams) as an example of discrimination.
That isn't discrimination,it is commonsense.
It is discriminition (or discriminating) in that those chosen last are singled out as least desireable. I ought to know as I was that kid.

Quote:
What is kind of amusing about all this is it is the fat/obese person who feels this way and then projects the way they feel about themselves and blame others.
You couldn't pass a psych 101 course if your life depended on it.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
TO those bemoaning how fat/obese people are viewed,is this man nice to look at?
Can't come back with an argument so you post a pic. Typical. And unless this guy is sitting on your Lazy Boy and you're worried about it breaking, what do you care?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well............then read the other one!
The other link was full of suppositions and possibilities...for example:
Quote:
24% of nurses in another study reported that they are “repulsed” by obese patients, so even when obese individuals manage to get health care there is reason to believe that it may not be the best.
No proof,just the possibility...

Quote:
By hopping? That would be fair if you put a group of hoppers together and had a race.
Ever hear of a prosthetic limb?Would it be discrimination to not choose this person?

Quote:
It is discriminition (or discriminating) in that those chosen last are singled out as least desireable. I ought to know as I was that kid.
Perhaps it had more to do with a lack of skill at the sport?Commonsense again.

Quote:
You couldn't pass a psych 101 course for all it's worth.
I LOVE when you attack others,I particularly liked your offhand comment regarding not getting hired because your name wasn't Garcia....

Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Can't come back with an argument so you post a pic. Typical.
Would YOU want to have a romantic relationship with this man based upon his appearance?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Would YOU want to have a romantic relationship with this man based upon his appearance?
Who cares? It's none of my business. I don't want a relationship with ANYONE now. I view this person as someone who obviously has something going on and it would be better served to get him checked out medically first and then if all is well, get him into some counseling or put him on some weight loss drugs (or even surgery) to help him.

I don't ATTACK others. I merely state the truth. You have not demonstrated you know ANYTHING about psychology so I doubt you could even pass the first course. And I was discriminated against for SOME reason when I was invited to that job fair (after they had already seen my resume) and then turned away due to my "credit." The company admitted it had nothing to do with my credit so I am left to wonder just what it had to do with - but there are only a few things to choose from since they knew my gender, my background, and my credit was excellent.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Haven't you read some of the comments in this thread? Take artsy for example. He is a perfect example of discrimination.

Or read this:

Prejudice Against the Obese and Some of its Situational Sources « The Situationist

Stigma of Obesity Not Easy to Shed
What a load of bs. The situationalist refers to a study, but doesn't site the study. Truth is, fat people aren't as discriminated against as smokers. Nobody wants to befriend us, hire us, or extend us insurance - because we have been demonized. We are nice people too, that work hard, and can empathize with your situation. This is social engineering at play. We tried to tell you that when you support taking away our freedoms, yours will be next on the long list. Individualism has eroded into common good policies, likely with your own support. Reap what you sow.
That being said, society has accomodated you long enough. Obesity is a choice, just as smoking is a choice, and society doesn't want to pay the price for your "choice". Obesity is very very costly, that's the problem with socialized mediciine - you let the gov't start eliminating/dictating choices.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Who cares? It's none of my business. I don't want a relationship with ANYONE now. I view this person as someone who obviously has something going on and it would be better served to get him checked out medically first and then if all is well, get him into some counseling or put him on some weight loss drugs (or even surgery) to help him.
Is he physically attractive to you?

Quote:
I don't ATTACK others. I merely state the truth.
Actually,you do.

Quote:
You have not demonstrated you know ANYTHING about psychology anything so I doubt you could even pass the first course.
Your opinion.

Quote:
And I was discriminated against for SOME reason when I was invited to that job fair (after they had already seen my resume) and then turned away due to my "credit." The company admitted it had nothing to do with my credit so I am left to wonder just what it had to do with - but there are only a few things to choose from since they knew my gender, my background, and my credit was excellent.
So you ASSUME it was because you weren't Hispanic...that your name wasn't Garcia so you were discriminated against...

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What a load of bs. The situationalist refers to a study, but doesn't site the study. Truth is, fat people aren't as discriminated against as smokers. Nobody wants to befriend us, hire us, or extend us insurance - because we have been demonized. We are nice people too, that work hard, and can empathize with your situation. This is social engineering at play. We tried to tell you that when you support taking away our freedoms, yours will be next on the long list. Individualism has eroded into common good policies, likely with your own support. Reap what you sow.
That being said, society has accomodated you long enough. Obesity is a choice, just as smoking is a choice, and society doesn't want to pay the price for your "choice". Obesity is very very costly, that's the problem with socialized mediciine - you let the gov't start eliminating/dictating choices.
Obesity is a choice for some, not for others. Those with low thyroid who put on a bunch of weight are not choosing to have low thyroid, for example. And those who are blessed with a very high metabolism who can eat whatever they want and not gain a lb are not making a choice.

Now, you are correct about smoking. Smoking is a choice. So why don't you just quit?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
So you ASSUME it was because you weren't Hispanic...that your name wasn't Garcia so you were discriminated against...
No, I do not assume this, but I think it would have helped considering the position was for a BILINGUAL person (which I am). Besides, they already had my surname from my resume so obviously they could see it was not an hispanic surname. I am left with two things: age, appearance or both. At any rate, the company was sure not going to tell me even after I threatened them with court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies