Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
See, there are many medical conditions that can cause a weight gain that no amount of exercising or dieting can cure. PCOS comes to mind.
Of the millions upon millions of fat/obese people,how many have a medical condition?

50%?
75%?

Or is it very low and most fat/obese people are that way because they do not exercise and eat too much.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM

474 posts, read 905,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yet when your bones are sticking out a la Angelina Jolie I guess there is no problem and no discrimination.
I'm sorry but Ms. Jolie does not have have bones sticking out of her body. I think her body weight, proportions, etc. are outstanding.

As to your original question it is really simple. Attractive people are treated better than non attractive people. "Attractive" is subjective - but most people do not consider fat people attractive. Some larger people, such as Queen Latifah, manage to look stylish and perhaps even beautiful. Her personality, smile, and talent also help. But Hillary Clinton is seriously unattractive and would be no matter what her size and accomplishments. She is of course powerful and probably suffers little discrimination.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM

474 posts, read 905,186 times
Quote:
See, there are many medical conditions that can cause a weight gain that no amount of exercising or dieting can cure. PCOS comes to mind.

I know from experience. I am usually a size 4-6. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, so I am on anti-thyroid drugs. Drugs that suppress your thyroid suppress your metabolism, so you guessed it- weight gain. I exercise and diet to not gain any more weight than I already have, but when you have to suppress your thyroid to the extent I have to, you are not going to lose weight. I have been yo-yoing back and forth for a year, between all the medications they have me on.

(oh, and my kids and husband are still thin as a rail, no fatties )
I bet 95% of fat people are fat because they consume more calories than they expend, and it is not related to any other medical condition.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,576 times
Woah. so much to say about this thread....

1- Fat isn't a protected class.
2- I have been "husky" my whole life. At one point I decided..."Hey this is who I am ...take it or leave it". and have been much happier ever since. If you care so much about what other people think then the problem isn't them....it's you. Not being comfortable with who you are as a person.
3- As a "husky" guy (I'm 6' 260lbs former football player) I am in relatively healthy shape. I go to the gym several times a week, try to eat the proper portions, and try to eat healthy. That being said there is nothing in this world that aggrivates me more than a large person that is lazy. If you park at the front of the lot because you can't carry your big ole self from the back you're lazy. If you get in one of those motorized carts inside the grocery store cause it's too tiring to walk around the store...you're lazy. If you are able to do something about it and/or are trying to then you will hear nothing from me. On the other hand if you are able, but it's too hard you get no sympathy from me.

Lastly, I blame the media for the perception of the perfect person. Get some more husky people on TV. I mean we represent the majority out there right.....

Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
I'm sorry but Ms. Jolie does not have have bones sticking out of her body. I think her body weight, proportions, etc. are outstanding.

As to your original question it is really simple. Attractive people are treated better than non attractive people. "Attractive" is subjective - but most people do not consider fat people attractive. Some larger people, such as Queen Latifah, manage to look stylish and perhaps even beautiful. Her personality, smile, and talent also help. But Hillary Clinton is seriously unattractive and would be no matter what her size and accomplishments. She is of course powerful and probably suffers little discrimination.
I bet Bill agrees.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
I've been every size of the rainbow. I know what it feels like to have doors held open for me at a size six. I also know what it feels like to be treated like crap at a much larger size. The difference is, I am STILL the same person on the inside. Circumstances led to one thing or the other.

So what gives and why is this?

we all discriminate against other people. otherwise we'd literally just take the first guy / girl who came along.

my theory is that women have the same disgust for lazy, unsuccessful men that men have for fat women. Personal preference or societal pressure might play a tiny role, but I think this is ultimately just human nature. Men are hard-wired to want a woman with a certain size and shape.

that said, women overestimate how much it has to do with "being fat." The reality is that it is body shape. A truly "curvy" woman is at a tremendous advantage. Most women who call themselves "curvy", actually have creases due to excess body fat, not smooth curves.

Last edited by le roi; 07-01-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Of the millions upon millions of fat/obese people,how many have a medical condition?

50%?
75%?

Or is it very low and most fat/obese people are that way because they do not exercise and eat too much.
I'm sure a majority of fat/obese people do not have a medical condition that causes it. Since I would not know whether they did or not without asking, I reserve judgement.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
Quote:
Why are fat people discriminated against?
Because you insist on invading other people's personal space with your disgusting fat and smell.
And yes, you smell like the food you just ate. On top of the greasy chicken smell, there's also a strange cigarette smoke smell coming from you. -barf-

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Because you insist on invading other people's personal space with your disgusting fat and smell.
And yes, you smell like the food you just ate. On top of the greasy chicken smell, there's also a strange cigarette smoke smell coming from you. -barf-
Thats out thighs rubbing together

Mystery solved!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times
Quote:

I know from experience. I am usually a size 4-6. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, so I am on anti-thyroid drugs. Drugs that suppress your thyroid suppress your metabolism, so you guessed it- weight gain. I exercise and diet to not gain any more weight than I already have, but when you have to suppress your thyroid to the extent I have to, you are not going to lose weight. I have been yo-yoing back and forth for a year, between all the medications they have me on.

(oh, and my kids and husband are still thin as a rail, no fatties )
Yes, the exceptions. Most people obese/overweight is due to overeating.

Quote:
Yet when your bones are sticking out a la Angelina Jolie I guess there is no problem and no discrimination.
I have heard the the talk she is too skinny...and this is from the hollywood media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies