Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
What's preventing you from smoking in your own house?

As for smoking in public, your right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe air not contaminated with cigarette smoke.
I know many people that smoke in their houses. Didn't realize it was illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

288 posts, read 168,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Nothing is preventing me from smoking in my own house (yet). But you know as well as I do that there are people who would like to make smoking as illegal as terrorism.
No, I don't. I think that's absurd.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Well perhaps it's because a civilized society hasn't quite learned to simply ignore your lack of well being if you become ill through your indulgence.

it's one thing to say you should have the right but it's another when the pool of money known as tax-payer's funds are used to treat any illness or injury you might sustain through your exercising your 'rights'. We haven't gotten to that stage yet where we can say "George decided to ride his Harley without a helmet and sustained a brain injury so we don't have to treat him". While Charley fell off a scaffolding and broke his back but we will treat him because he was observing all OSHA requirements."
It's fine to EXPECT nanny state compassion when you NEED it but to also rail against that very nanny state that implements basic rules that seem to be needed because people have proven they cannot think and behave responsibly is sorta "wanting your cake and eating it too".

Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
What's preventing you from smoking in your own house?

As for smoking in public, your right to smoke infringes on my right to breathe air not contaminated with cigarette smoke.
What makes you think you have that right? You think you can come into my bar (note that this is a hypothetical as I don't own a bar) and tell me that I cannot allow my patrons to smoke? Considering they offer me more economic advantage, why should your wishes matter?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well perhaps it's because a civilized society hasn't quite learned to simply ignore your lack of well being if you become ill through your indulgence.

it's one thing to say you should have the right but it's another when the pool of money known as tax-payer's funds are used to treat any illness or injury you might sustain through your exercising your 'rights'. We haven't gotten to that stage yet where we can say "George decided to ride his Harley without a helmet and sustained a brain injury so we don't have to treat him". While Charley fell off a scaffolding and broke his back but we will treat him because he was observing all OSHA requirements."
It's fine to EXPECT nanny state compassion when you NEED it but to also rail against that very nanny state that implements basic rules that seem to be needed because people have proven they cannot think and behave responsibly is sorta "wanting your cake and eating it too".
I've got health insurance. Are you gonna ban things like Jackass too? Some of the stunts they do are pretty dangerous.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Oh, please. I am willing to live with the consequences of my bad habits and have insurance to pay for them (which I pay up the ying yang and it's none of your business). If I want to smoke in my house, I will. If I want to eat junk food, I will.

Get off my back and MYOB.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 06-30-2011 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I think smokers should have the right to smoke in their houses.

Just don't smoke in MY house ... capiche??????

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think smokers should have the right to smoke in their houses.

Just don't smoke in MY house ... capiche??????
Absolutely. In fact, I'd never even smoke around you without asking your permission.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Or what if I want to sit on my back patio but the guy upstairs is out smoking on his balcony? What if I want to enjoy the nice weather since that is rare in Wisconsin and go sit outside at a restaurant while having lunch, but if I do that, then I have to smell the cigarette smoke since people can still smoke outside of restaurants? Here's one that has been really bothering me lately, people who smoke right outside the entry/exit of public places, like the grocery store.
There is lot of things people do to annoy me and others; perfume, talking on their cell phone, body odor, misbehaving kids.....and on down the list. Perhaps I should consider trying to get these things banned?

I smoke but really hate the smell of cigars, this one restaurant we were going to for breakfast allowed this guy to smoke them. After the second or third time we went elsewhere for breakfast.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
because you haven't reached their level yet.

I dont think he can stoop that low either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies