Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:36 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all the studies surveys show how important seat belts are, and i believe most, if not all states have the click it or ticket campaign.

shouldnt it be left up to us whether or not we wear a seat belt. it only impacts us, doesnt harm anybody else.

at the same time this is something most people are ok with being forced to do.

imo we shouldnt need a law on the books, and leave it up to the people.

i myself rarely wear my seatbelt. not overweight or anything, just dont like the feel of it.

I think it's wrong to be made to do that when people on motorcycles don't have to wear helmets. That's how it is in my city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I tend to agree with you. I have not read all the replies to this thread, but I am sure that someone has mentioned that people who are severely injured, with brain trauma, tend to not be able to work for a living and usually must go on some kind of assistance, including Medicaid.

Since my hard-earned tax dollars go to fund these programs, I feel that *I* have the right to say that people should be forced to wear seat belts. Yes, I am all for personal liberty. But your personal liberty ends where MY pocket book begins.

20yrsinBranson
Feel all you want,you don't however have a right to say what people should do.

Do you feel the same about how much people eat?
How much they drink or smoke?
What sort of sports they play?
Whether they engage in risky sexual practices?

Do YOU have the right to dictate what others do in those circumstances?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I do not like these small laws which control people. In my gut, I know they are wrong. Have seatbelt laws saved thousands of lives, absolutely. I would still wear one even if it was not a law.
I think the government has a "fix what isn't broken syndrome". They make themselves appear busy making rules and regulations; bogged down in minutia, wasting precious resources, but fail to fix the things that are important.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I always suspected Americans secretly wanted to be anarchists.
Actually most want to be nanny statists...kind of like in your country.
They enjoy dictating to others how to live.

Sense of control I suspect.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think the sides of cars should have random pictures of crash victims.
Yes, with the caption Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. I have not read all the replies to this thread, but I am sure that someone has mentioned that people who are severely injured, with brain trauma, tend to not be able to work for a living and usually must go on some kind of assistance, including Medicaid.
Do they? Are you sure? I have known roughly around 15 people in my life that were injured to such severity and only one of them went on government assistance to which they were already receiving such similar assistance.

Quote:
Since my hard-earned tax dollars go to fund these programs, I feel that *I* have the right to say that people should be forced to wear seat belts. Yes, I am all for personal liberty. But your personal liberty ends where MY pocket book begins.

20yrsinBranson
Does not their hard earned tax dollars go to fund such as well? I understand what you are getting at, and because you are paying for such a system, it seems reasonable that you should have some say in the conditions to receive it. though does that not point out a bigger problem? Such as, government systems as such are incompatible with individual liberties as they require the removal of individual liberties to offer such as you make in your argument? You pay taxes, you should have a say right?

What of those who do not use such systems though? What of those who have had accidents and the like and yet completely fund themselves through their own money or money from their family and friends donating? Since those people never meet your condition, how can you be justified in infringing on the choices they make?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
American stupidity is like the self-devouring snake Ourobourous, with no beginning and no end.

Yes, that was a Classical reference.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
American stupidity is like the self-devouring snake Ourobourous, with no beginning and no end.

Yes, that was a Classical reference.
That stupidity being the passage of onerous legislation under the false pretense of making us more safe.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So?

It is none of your business what others do.

I love nanny statists,they don't even realise what little control freaks they really are.
I think the growing problem is people do not think past their own self interest in any given issue. They think "Seat belts are safe, we should remove the choice for peoples own good" and at each issue, they evaluate their personal opinion to the matter and if they agree with it, carry on to think that it should be mandated on others.

It is a result of not teaching individual liberty and the values and responsibilities of freedom. I was taught it in school when I was young, they do not teach it anymore so people do not consider it when they agree with such infringements.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I always suspected Americans secretly wanted to be anarchists.
Oh come on now, don't you think that is a dishonest summary?

The concept of individual liberty is a brilliant one. In the very statement of such, it not only applies freedom of choice for all, but also protects everyone from all.

I can not infringe on your individual liberties. Any action I take to which directly infringes on your liberties be it through intention or severe recklessness, is a violation of the concept.

This is counter to Anarchist ideology which does not support the protection of someones liberty, but simply promotes the freedom of one to act as they choose with disregard to that of any other. That isn't the same as individual liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies