Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Would anyone here who currently wears a seat belt stop wearing it if it were not required?
good question.

i know many people were scared into wearing them because they didnt want a ticket.

i think the stats say 85 percent buckle up now.

if you got rid of the seat belt law for sure that number would drop, maybe 15-20 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all the studies surveys show how important seat belts are, and i believe most, if not all states have the click it or ticket campaign.

shouldnt it be left up to us whether or not we wear a seat belt. it only impacts us, doesnt harm anybody else.

at the same time this is something most people are ok with being forced to do.

imo we shouldnt need a law on the books, and leave it up to the people.

i myself rarely wear my seatbelt. not overweight or anything, just dont like the feel of it.
In a car accident, your unsecured body becomes a projectile that can hit, harm, or even kill other drivers. Buckle up for safety, buckle up!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Armed government thugs love this law. Just think how much it has allowed them to enrich their pockets.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
So let me get this straight....you're not ok with being forced to wear one yet you would NEVER not wear a seatbelt.

So what does it matter if you are legally required to or not? By you own admission you're always going to wear one.

Just gotta rebel against something right?
Why is this so hard to understand?

The laws requiring me to wear a seat belt exist only to prevent me from doing something that may harm myself, but nobody else.

I do not think the government has a legitimate right to regulate behavior that affects the individual and nobody else.

Therefore, I do not believe the government has a legitimate right to require me to wear a seat belt.

It has nothing to do with whether I choose to wear one. I've done that since way before it was requred; undoubtedly going back to sometime in the 1970's.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:38 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
No, I am not ok with it.

Not because I may or may not want to use one, that is my business alone.

People do not respect individual liberty and this is evident in the constant creation of laws to which attempt to dictate a personal demand upon others.

Either you respect individual liberty, or you do not. There is no middle ground and if you do not respect such, then you have absolutely no grounds to complain when ANY violation of your liberty is committed. You condoned it and encouraged it, the result is of your making.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all the studies surveys show how important seat belts are, and i believe most, if not all states have the click it or ticket campaign.

shouldnt it be left up to us whether or not we wear a seat belt. it only impacts us, doesnt harm anybody else.

at the same time this is something most people are ok with being forced to do.

imo we shouldnt need a law on the books, and leave it up to the people.

i myself rarely wear my seatbelt. not overweight or anything, just dont like the feel of it.
I wear my seatbelt,that said,it should be your choice.

Of course nanny statists disagree.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
The best justification I can come up with for seatbelt laws is that unsecured rear passengers can kill the passengers in front of them through blunt force in a high-speed collision.

I wear my seatbelt not because it's the law but because you have to either be severely uninformed (as in you come from a country that doesn't have seatbelts) or stupid.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I'm of the belief if your 18 your choice. Old enough to die in Libya old enough to decide whether to wear a belt.

That being said I was in a little bumper accident last year. We were barely moving in a parking lot and my head smacked into the visor and the mirror in it cracked and I had a nice little cut on my head. I had never been in a traffic accident in my life. After that I buckle up most of the time if I remember too. Little scrap like that causes my head to jolt foreward like that I could only imagine what a accident going a decent speed would do. Still up to the driver though IMO.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Armed government thugs love this law. Just think how much it has allowed them to enrich their pockets.
Here is an idea,if the law is just about safety,make there be a $1 fine...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I got in a big accident once, I was driving an Expedition and it ended up totaled. Three passengers with me, we were all wearing our seatbelts and none of us was injured. I admit my memory is a bit fuzzy surrounding the event itself, but I'm fairly certain I would have been really banged up if I hadn't worn my seatbelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies