Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is an odd reasoning process. You seem to suggest, that if somebody already does something anyway, that making a law that forces them to do such is acceptable? The issue is individual choice. While I may choose to brush my teeth after every meal, that by no means makes it unreasonable for me to object to a law that requires me to do such. In fact, this form of logic is that which is the problem today. It is why some people see no problems with heavily taxing products or behaviors they do not take part in. After all, they don't do it, so it is perfectly acceptable to do such, right?

I run 5 miles a day, and it is good for my health. Maybe we should institute a law requiring everyone to run 5 miles a day as well? I mean, its good for you, and I already do it so I don't care if they make it a law! /boggle
My reasoning is this...It's already a law. You would do it regardless of if it was a law or not. Why are you complaining about it if you already do it?

If a law is passed that forces you to do something that you don't already or regularly do then I can see getting huffy about it.

For the sake of this discussion it seems as if people are complaining for the sake of complaining under the guise of "personal freedom".

IMHO the reason that laws like this are in place is to protect the people that are too dumb to protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right, and therefore it can be regulated.

Requiring seat belt use is no more an infringement on your rights than being required to turn on your headlights or use turn signals or stop at stop signs.

The road doesn't belong to you to do with whatever you please. Society has given government ownership and control of the public roads.

Government, on our behalf, makes the rules for public roads and allows who can and cannot drive on them.
Thank you Comrade.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:49 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Not to disagree with whether you should wear a seat belt but, many lives have been saved by not wearing a belt and many lives have been lost because the were wearing a belt.
"I had a friend of mine that was in a Jeep that rolled over off the highway down an embankment. She couldn't get out in time before it burst into flames because of her seatbelt. People reported hearing her screaming as she burned to death."
Not Wearing A Seat Belt Saved My Life

Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all the studies surveys show how important seat belts are, and i believe most, if not all states have the click it or ticket campaign.

shouldnt it be left up to us whether or not we wear a seat belt. it only impacts us, doesnt harm anybody else.

at the same time this is something most people are ok with being forced to do.

imo we shouldnt need a law on the books, and leave it up to the people.

i myself rarely wear my seatbelt. not overweight or anything, just dont like the feel of it.
Only if emergency services are not wasted on you when you have an accident and get ejected from the vehicle.

[because then your problem becomes my problem]

Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Only if emergency services are not wasted on you when you have an accident and get ejected from the vehicle.

[because then your problem becomes my problem]
Only if the person doesn't pay.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all the studies surveys show how important seat belts are, and i believe most, if not all states have the click it or ticket campaign.

shouldnt it be left up to us whether or not we wear a seat belt. it only impacts us, doesnt harm anybody else.

at the same time this is something most people are ok with being forced to do.

imo we shouldnt need a law on the books, and leave it up to the people.

i myself rarely wear my seatbelt. not overweight or anything, just dont like the feel of it.
I disagree, I think it should not be left up to us b/c it CAN hurt others. If you get ejected out of the car or even just thrown into another seat within the car during an accident, you can potentially really hurt someone else. Also, if you are thrown from the vehicle, you can land in the road and cause an even bigger pileup when people swerve to avoid your body.

You also have to think about the resources "the system" would use if you were ejected or just even badly injured due to hitting the windshield, seat belt or something else in the car. An ambulance would definitely have to come out, and they always bring a fire truck with them for whatever reason, you've got hospital bills which you may or may not be able to pay, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Only if the person doesn't pay.
If he can.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I don't wear one unless my wife is in the car and then she makes me. So yes I object to it, but I have more to fear than just a ticket.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Chances are, a lot of people would. But more importantly, virtually everybody started wearing seat belts because of the law, not because they fell in love with it.
That's the crux of the matter right there. We can easily agree that it would be preferable if we, as Free Agents, decided to wear seatbelts of our own free will because it would be advantageous, and that the market then responded by putting seatbelts in our cars.

It appears not to work that way. Seatbelt use became widespread only after legislation. Even putting seatbelts in cars was a hard-fought battle in the first place.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't wear one unless my wife is in the car and then she makes me. So yes I object to it, but I have more to fear than just a ticket.
In some instances, we find ourselves governed by higher powers than The Law...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies