Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In some instances, we find ourselves governed by higher powers than The Law...
Absolutely, you can negotiate with the police...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
are you okay with being forced to wear a seat belt?
I scarcely think about doing up my seatbelt while riding in an automobile. Inside a moving car is probably not the best place to demonstrate your rugged individualism.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
My reasoning is this...It's already a law. You would do it regardless of if it was a law or not. Why are you complaining about it if you already do it?
It wasn't always the law. I remember the days when it wasn't a law and I didn't agree with it when it was forced on everyone in the first place, so the point that it "exists, so therefore it is acceptable" is irrelevant. I object to anything that is a matter of infringement to individual liberty. The fact that I may do something already is not grounds to demand everyone do it as well. That is absurd.

Quote:
If a law is passed that forces you to do something that you don't already or regularly do then I can see getting huffy about it.
It is not the laws place to dictate to me my individual choice. It has no business in mandating such. the fact that I may do such of my own choice is not support to claim that it is just in mandating others to do it. Again, this is the failed logic of people today. Because I do it, does not justify forcing others to do it as well. It is convoluted logic.

Quote:
For the sake of this discussion it seems as if people are complaining for the sake of complaining under the guise of "personal freedom".
There is no guise, there is an issue of ever infringing polices that are being mandated on people to which no authority exists. Our rights are inalienable, they are not under the discretion and authority of another to decide as they choose because they personally think it would be better for us. Only you know what is best for you and this is the responsibility entirely under your discretion, not another.

Quote:
IMHO the reason that laws like this are in place is to protect the people that are too dumb to protect themselves.
Nature culls the stupid through life lessons and in some cases ultimate lessons. Why would we want to protect people from natures work when doing so only endangers society from suffering that of the stupid? The best teacher for the stupid is the consequence of stupids actions. If someone is stupid enough to put their hand in fire, they will get burned. This hurts only stupid. If stupid continues to do such, then stupid will cull themselves from existence.

If you want to save stupid, by all means, proactively attempt to inform stupid of its poor actions. Past that, you have no authority to do demand anything past that and certainly not by identifying everyone as being stupid with a law that blankets and restricts all under such assumption. Sometimes there are risks people are willing to take under certain conditions, yet "laws" are blanket type means to which removes the freedom of an individual to determine the risks and take them for themselves, something that only the individual has the authority of decision to make.

As I said, I could come up with numerous laws of the very same nature to which you are attempting to support and imprison you with them to which you most certainly would object, yet you do not object to this because you agree with it. If you can not respect the individual liberty of another, then you deserve no liberty for yourself and through your self interest to promote such removal of liberty from others will surely be the chains that bind you eventually into servitude. Either you respect individual liberty, or you do not. There is no middle road.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I think we should follow NH's example and not force people to wear seatbelts. It's their own damn fault if their head goes through the windshield when they crash

Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think we should follow NH's example and not force people to wear seatbelts. It's their own damn fault if their head goes through the windshield when they crash
Bingo. Let responsibility for ones actions be that of their own. No more, no less. This is what it means to be free. Freedom comes with responsibility, and that is accepting such for the actions we individually make. Unfortunately, we live in a time where responsibility is an alien concept and our actions are excused and blamed on everything but the one who was truly responsible for them.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Bingo. Let responsibility for ones actions be that of their own. No more, no less. This is what it means to be free. Freedom comes with responsibility, and that is accepting such for the actions we individually make. Unfortunately, we live in a time where responsibility is an alien concept and our actions are excused and blamed on everything but the one who was truly responsible for them.
This is what I don't get about nanny-statism. I recall in my sociology class, my professor asked the class what they thought about the seatbelt laws, and to our surprise the person defending the seatbelt laws was a very Republican female student. And that's the most truthful thing I've heard on here. With freedom comes great responsibility.

I want a repeal of all laws protecting us from ourselves, but I support states that won't to keep them. My preferred state, however, would not have such laws

Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Yes, a seat belt once saved my brother's life. Any time you buckle up, you should thank Ralph Nader for providing an easy means of keeping you alive if you get in an accident.
Agreed! Nader has saved thousands of lives! As a personal anecdote in 2001 I had to pick up a relative from a late night shift and was tired. As I approached a manned toll booth I dozed off and ran into a concrete barrier that protects the toll collectors. The front end of my car was completely totaled & the engine compartment just inches from crushing my legs. My seat belt & air bag saved my life according to the police and paramedics on the scene. I walked away without a scratch.
There is no "uncomfortable" in death for not wearing your seat belt! My very first action when climbing into my or any car is strapping on my seat belt first then starting the igntion! It becomes like breathing after a while which is habitual! Besides it i good for your posture! Wear your seat belts people!

The law is not about Government intrusion but the ability to protect people from death & injury.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Obviously, even with laws people are free to not wear them. We read about those people in the obits all the time.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I wore my seat belt before it was a law.

I also wear a full face helmet when I'm out jetsking on the lake, too.

It should be a choice, not a law.

I hate laws that keep us safe from our own selves. That is not freedom and liberty.
You feel the opposite when it comes to a woman's right to choose...
Oh yeah, that's a control issue.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
No, I am not ok with it.

Not because I may or may not want to use one, that is my business alone.

People do not respect individual liberty and this is evident in the constant creation of laws to which attempt to dictate a personal demand upon others.

Either you respect individual liberty, or you do not. There is no middle ground and if you do not respect such, then you have absolutely no grounds to complain when ANY violation of your liberty is committed. You condoned it and encouraged it, the result is of your making.
You're talking to a lot of 'nanny stater's' and personal choice is foreign to them.

These same folks led us to the 'checkpoints' that we have in every state now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies