Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It is the government and it is a tax hike. If the government just decided to raise taxes on teachers 5.8%, you all would go crazy but it's the same freaking thing!! 5.8% is 5.8%. The GOP just counts on your gullibility in sneaking in middle class tax hikes while the Koch brothers rates stay the same, they buy another jet and you pray for the trickle down.
Wrong.. These funds are put into a PRIVATE account, managed by the unions. Not only does this firm us fiscal responsibility of the schools, but also the very unions you proclaim to be for..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Default errrr. wrong....

Quote:
require staff to cover 12.6 percent of their health insurance and to contribute 5.8 percent of their wages to the state’s pension system,

See what happens when you raise taxes? Yes, that's what this is. just without using the word taxes. It's just focused at the smallest and most vulnerable of people. I'm sure Walker will be getting props from his personal pimps, the Koch Brothers for getting this through while letting the very rich ease on down the road.
A tax is a sum of money collected for the state, this money is paid to health insurance, and for their pension.

Since when is the responsibility of anyone else, even the rich to pay into these people's pension fund? In fact the "RICH" already pay most of the taxes anyways, just how much more do you want to steal from someone and give to someone else?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Can you please explain why you think that person A should pay for person B's life expenses just because they have more money than person B?
Seriously....I want to hear this
Well for one thing, Person A contibutes no extra money to Person B's life expenses, they'v set aside some of their annual income over the years, which Person A was ALREADY CONTRIBUTING to through taxes.

Another thing is that those pension and benefit packages attract better workers. A lot of people complain about the government, but they don't seem to understand that the government is only as good as the people are willing to pay for it.

These are many of the same people, btw, who don't mind a CEO getting a huge severance package. Why can't public sector employees get a comparatively modest benefit?

Tax revenues at all levels of government have gone down in the past few decades as a percentage of GDP (they've grown if you count inflation and population growth, but that's misleading). So are we really surprised that government isn't working?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
It is the government and it is a tax hike. If the government just decided to raise taxes on teachers 5.8%, you all would go crazy but it's the same freaking thing!! 5.8% is 5.8%. The GOP just counts on your gullibility in sneaking in middle class tax hikes while the Koch brothers rates stay the same, they buy another jet and you pray for the trickle down.
How is paying a fairer share of your own healthcare a tax? Taxes go into the public pool for the good of everyone (shyea right) while paying ones own healthcare is applied to their own benefit alone.

Do you even care if government goes broke trying to pay unfunded liabilities? Liberals act like they don't know the meaning of unsustainable until it comes to oil, then they become experts on the subject.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,205 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
A tax is a sum of money collected for the state, this money is paid to health insurance, and for their pension.

Since when is the responsibility of anyone else, even the rich to pay into these people's pension fund? In fact the "RICH" already pay most of the taxes anyways, just how much more do you want to steal from someone and give to someone else?
See above..It's a tax in disguise. You've been bamboozled.

I think my work here is done.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
require staff to cover 12.6 percent of their health insurance and to contribute 5.8 percent of their wages to the state’s pension system,

See what happens when you raise taxes? Yes, that's what this is. just without using the word taxes. It's just focused at the smallest and most vulnerable of people. I'm sure Walker will be getting props from his personal pimps, the Koch Brothers for getting this through while letting the very rich ease on down the road.
You call this taxes? That's warped. I've never heard of a tax that only gets applied to something that only I can use.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
See above..It's a tax in disguise. You've been bamboozled.

I think my work here is done.
no its not
Tax: money paid to government: an amount of money levied by a government on its citizens and used to run the government, the country, a state, a county, or a municipality

The money ISNT PAID TO THE GOVERNMENT.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
It's being asked to pay for yourself and whining about it.

As for the GOP, I'm not fan of theirs either. I'm for what's practical and realistic; neither party has a real interest in that.

I don't pray for a trickle down. It's my responsibility to create the financial picture I want for myself. Why would I think anyone else will do it if I'm not willing to do it?

I don't care if the Koch brothers have another plane; it's their money. They can battle for runway position with that champion of the poor, George Soros, all day long for all I care.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
translation: I know it's a tax but I already over committed to this argument, have nothing better to say and will not admit my error.
It's not tax, it's a very generous benefit that is being scaled back for the benefit of 100% of the taxpayers in that district. We could call it a middle class tax break if you want.

--------edit---------

Assuming property taxes is the primary funding in this district as it is in most areas we could call it tax break across the board from rich to poor because everyone contributes to property taxes in some shape or form.

Giving a tax break to poor people is bad thing?

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-01-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Assuming property taxes is the primary funding in this district as it is in most areas we could call it tax break across the board from rich to poor because everyone contributes to property taxes in some shape or form.

Giving a tax break to poor people is bad thing?
Especially considering that property taxes are usually a larger burden on the poor, I have to ask why Democrats really support plans that are more harmful to the poor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies