Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,135,306 times

Advertisements

The US media seldom reports about Europe and, it seems, that US media reports only on negative European events: youths rioting in France, the Greek economic situation, etc.
Does the US media ever report anything that is going well in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,217,551 times
A lot of nose-picking, backpacking leisure travelers have good things to report.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,540,338 times
Why would they? They don't report the positive in the US either. Blood and guts gets ratings.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,689,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The US media seldom reports about Europe and, it seems, that US media reports only on negative European events: youths rioting in France, the Greek economic situation, etc.
Does the US media ever report anything that is going well in Europe?
Lol, the reporting on Europe is predominantly positive. We are beaten over the head with how much more civilized they are than us. Would you rather we ignore the British strikes or Greek austerity?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A lot of backpacking leisure travelers have good things to report.
Quite possible that many have seen the tourist spots. But I was thinking more in terms of politics, healthcare, social system, culture, public transportation, job conditions, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,801,345 times
Quote:
Does the US media ever report anything that is going well <snip>?
Fixed it for you.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Quite possible that many have seen the tourist spots.
Yep, and perpetuate an ignorant and generalized myth concerning Europe's superior morality and sophistication.

Quote:
But I was thinking more in terms of politics, healthcare, social system, culture, public transportation, job conditions, etc.
I know they treat Roma about as well as we treated AAs 50 years ago.
I know they don't have the HC system people here think they do.
I know people want to believe things are relatively peaceful there (again perpetuated by nose-picking backpackers who tour the Louvre and forget to see the real Europe)
I know Europe has been a net job loser since God knows when.
I know Europe loves war just as much as we do.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,918,854 times
Quote:
Quite possible that many have seen the tourist spots. But I was thinking more in terms of politics, healthcare, social system, culture, public transportation, job conditions, etc.
Most Americans don't really care about public transit, culture, social system etc in europe. We don't live there. What about the Congo? How come we never hear any positive stories about the Congo? Or Ecuador? I havn't heard anything good about them either. Damn media.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Many people here couldn't survive there. Trains will not wait for the lazy fat people. The health system will eventually give up on the same lazy, fat people and allow them to die. The general rule in most European countries if you don't like the way things are run is "tough ****". Your right to sue a truly incompetent doctor is greatly diminished. Apathy towards government is much higher there, thanks to the technocratic and dysfunctional EU.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yep, and perpetuate an ignorant and generalized myth concerning Europe's superior morality and sophistication.

I know they treat Roma about as well as we treated AAs 50 years ago.
I know they don't have the HC system people here think they do.
I know people want to believe things are relatively peaceful there (again perpetuated by nose-picking backpackers who tour the Louvre and forget to see the real Europe)
I know Europe has been a net job loser since God knows when.
I know Europe loves war just as much as we do.
What is your source of information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies