Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What is your source of information?
That's funny.... the media?!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM

474 posts, read 905,246 times
Major article in WSJ this week about Germany's recovery from the recession. Mostly positive, though it raised concerns about Germany's reluctance to take a more active role in peace keeping. The article was very positive about Germany's responsible fiscal responsibility.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
If you want to hear positive news about Europe, read The London Guardian. Besides, left-wing papers in Europe don't have a lot of nice things to say about the US either, especially when a Republican is president.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yep, and perpetuate an ignorant and generalized myth concerning Europe's superior morality and sophistication.

I know they treat Roma about as well as we treated AAs 50 years ago.
I know they don't have the HC system people here think they do.
I know people want to believe things are relatively peaceful there (again perpetuated by nose-picking backpackers who tour the Louvre and forget to see the real Europe)
I know Europe has been a net job loser since God knows when.
I know Europe loves war just as much as we do.
When I went to England in December, I got first-hand experience of how normal, everyday people live in parts of southeast England. Windsor is actually a bit on the chavvy side in the west end, far away from the high street and the castle. That's where I stayed for a few weeks, and my fiancee's brother's bike got nicked when he left it outside his girlfriend's house for an hour, and seen lots of drunk hoodies in front of the council estate on Dedworth Rd. making trouble. Not to mention Slough, which is mini Pakistan and Poland. Dirty, disgusting, filthy place. The residential streets are littered, the movie theater wasn't clean, and the bathrooms had broken toilets and hand driers with no soap, and this was even in the Queensmere Shopping Centre which is the newest shopping center in Slough. The only building that has kept in high condition was the Tesco Extra near the bus station. All in all, I liked it. But I'm not exactly from the best neighborhoods in Puerto Rico either so it didn't shock me as much, since I've seen far worse.

Oh I forgot to mention too, the buses are nice I admit. Nicer than ours, and the train service is loads better than what government Amtrak provides us with. Though it's a bit disheartening seeing that the bus drivers in First Thames Valley & Berkshire drive fully encased in plexiglass. And I loved all the warning signs of CCTV cameras in all manners of places and signs saying don't steal CCTV in use.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
The US media seldom reports about Europe and, it seems, that US media reports only on negative European events: youths rioting in France, the Greek economic situation, etc.
Does the US media ever report anything that is going well in Europe?

does anything good come out of Europe?

do you want your soros back?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
When the most interesting man in the world goes to Rome, they do as HE does.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Why would they? They don't report the positive in the US either. Blood and guts gets ratings.
True. "Everything is peachy" was never a Pulitzer-winning headline.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
What is your source of information?
Probably the same place he got his CO2 emissions figures a week or so ago...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Good responses! The US media reports nothing positive about Europe.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
The European press reports nothing positive about the USA.

Call it even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies