Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
With respect to the treaty, the guilt or innocence of this particular is'nt relevant. What I'm concerned with is that due to this action, American citizens will not receive the protection they a due.
The only protection an american citizen has in Mexico is the wallets of other americans. They are quite sensitive to hurting tourism there.

If you think that by frying some murderer we are going to experience a dip in treatment by the wonderful mexican police I'm going to have to chuckle.

They have bigger problems than hand wringing over a guy that murdered and raped a 15yo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Who gives a spit about the international treaty, I for one don't. The man didn't violate 'international law', he violated american law and received an american trial and all the appeals that any american would get in the same circumstance. He was a monster that didn't deserve to breathe the same air as decent people. Good riddance to bad garbage. Bless Texas.

Tb

He violated TEXAS law.

Everyone knows, you don't mess with TEXAS.

It wasn't the USA that kicked Santa Anna's ass. It was Texas and Texas will do it again, if it has to.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM

288 posts, read 349,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
With respect to the treaty, the guilt or innocence of this particular is'nt relevant. What I'm concerned with is that due to this action, American citizens will not receive the protection they a due.

My concern is that we are a sovereign nation that seems willing to surrender a bit of our sovereignty each time something like this pops up.

Tb

Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
My concern is that we are a sovereign nation that seems willing to surrender a bit of our sovereignty each time something like this pops up.

Tb
Sovereignty means signing contracts, and expecting the others who've signed to follow the contract, but you can ignore it?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Sorry, guess people took me seriously. Just poking fun at those that are crying tears over this POS and burning candles in his honor. He's dead and justice was served. Actually just ice would have been served had he faced the chair or gallows or some other form of execution that is a bit more terrifying and painful.

American citizens have little to worry about when traveling to other countries so long as they obey the law of the land. Non issue IMO. Don't kill someone when visiting another land and you don't have to worry.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's not about the criminal.

Here, from a document you may or may not recognize:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding

Texas is screwing those of your countrymen who get in trouble with the law in foreign countries. For a bit of jingoistic chest-thumping political posturing.
I know you and your wife are sympathetic to Mexicans. I recommend that you not travel to Mexico if you feel that the actions of Texas will make their government hostile to Americans traveling there. Mexico is a corrupt country that doesn't respect the sovereignty of this nation and knows that liberals will advocate for their interests in the United States.

Last edited by D-Towner; 07-08-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They are NOT bound to that treaty. Never was. If you think they are, then what is this new legislation that the WH is writing up?
I'll ask you again where the treaty made a distinction between foreigners in state custody and foreigners in federal custody.

The Court did not state that the US, including the states, are not bound to the treaty, just that Congress must pass additional legislation to make it illegal for states to ignore it. It's a narrow distinction, too narrow in my opinion, but that's what they said. For you to continue to claim that the Court said that the states aren't bound to the treaty is to be incorrect.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM

288 posts, read 349,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sovereignty means signing contracts, and expecting the others who've signed to follow the contract, but you can ignore it?

I didn't sign it.

Should it have been followed? I suppose. But, here we are after the fact, and at this point I really can't care that we didn't. Once again, good riddance. Bless Texas.

Tb

Last edited by Tundra Boy; 07-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
This is an outrage! This is going to really throw a wrench into my plans the next time I decide to travel outside the US and kill someone.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is an outrage! This is going to really throw a wrench into my plans the next time I decide to travel outside the US and kill someone.
What if you travel outside of the country and when you stop in a store to buy something, you are accused of stealing something. You're innocent, but you're in jail, in a foreign country, you don't know the way their court system works. Sure would be nice to be able to call the consulate and ask for help, wouldn't it? Ooops, they won't let you talk to the consulate, because the United States is in violation of the treaty that gives you that right. Oh, well, rot in jail happily knowing a scumbag was put to death in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies