Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

It’s no accident that the social democracies — Sweden, France and Germany, who kept on paying high wages — now have more industry than the United States or the UK. During the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, the Anglo-Americans, the neoliberals, The Economist crowd, and the press generally, would taunt the social democrats in Europe: “You’d better break the unions.” That’s the way to save your industry.

Indeed, that’s what the United States and the UK did: They smashed the unions, in the belief that they had to compete on cost. The result? They quickly ended up wrecking their industrial base. But Germany, Sweden and France ignored the advice of the Anglo-Americans, the Financial Times elite, the banking industry: Contrary to what they were told to do, they did not wreck their unions.
What We Can Learn: An Excerpt from Were You Born on the Wrong Continent? -- In These Times

I guess the Germans don't have bible thumping redneck astroturf bobblehead Tea Party types living among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
That's a good point. If social democracies are inherently bad, then why haven't these countries succumbed to Greece's fate? Another question I have is, how did Greece and Portugal end up with a different fate than Sweden and Germany? Maybe it was some other factor? I really don't know.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
The reduction of wages and salaries is the goal of the global elite. It will happen to other countries if they get their way. Thank Clinton for signing on to both NAFTA, CAFTA, GATT/WTO, other free-trade agreements that benefits multi-national corporations and not small businesses, and our most favored trading status with China that opens up the floodgates for all the outsourcing. Clinton could have stopped all of that and vetoed each bill, but he's just as complicit as the GOP Congress that drafted up the agreements that eventually sold us down the river. Your man Clinton is just as evil and guilty as the Gingrich/Thurmond-led GOP

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Default Taxes are 25% lower in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It’s no accident that the social democracies — Sweden, France and Germany, who kept on paying high wages — now have more industry than the United States or the UK. During the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, the Anglo-Americans, the neoliberals, The Economist crowd, and the press generally, would taunt the social democrats in Europe: “You’d better break the unions.” That’s the way to save your industry.

Indeed, that’s what the United States and the UK did: They smashed the unions, in the belief that they had to compete on cost. The result? They quickly ended up wrecking their industrial base. But Germany, Sweden and France ignored the advice of the Anglo-Americans, the Financial Times elite, the banking industry: Contrary to what they were told to do, they did not wreck their unions.
What We Can Learn: An Excerpt from Were You Born on the Wrong Continent? -- In These Times

I guess the Germans don't have bible thumping redneck astroturf bobblehead Tea Party types living among them.

Europe thanks us for being so greedy and stupid.

With a 29.41% corporate tax rate, their businesses can compete in the world market while paying union wages.

Betas

Last edited by momonkey; 07-01-2011 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

You forget to mention, they have trade tariffs on all imports into Germany, too!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That's a good point. If social democracies are inherently bad, then why haven't these countries succumbed to Greece's fate? Another question I have is, how did Greece and Portugal end up with a different fate than Sweden and Germany? Maybe it was some other factor? I really don't know.

The "other factor" is they don't compensate for high marginal corporate tax rates with low wages the way we do in the US.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:

You can type insults but it doesn't help your point.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
You can type insults but it doesn't help your point.
The point is in the facts and the facts speak loud and clearly for themselves.

I really do not care if the anyone that fits the description gets insulted as they are a blight on the future of this nation moving forward. If the shoe fits...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The point is in the facts and the facts speak loud and clearly for themselves.

I really do not care if the anyone that fits the description gets insulted as they are a blight on the future of this nation moving forward. If the shoe fits...

I didn't see any "facts".

Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You forget to mention, they have trade tariffs on all imports into Germany, too!!!!
Which is what I said. All of our pro multi-national corporate free trade deals, China's favored trading status, all of that pretty much makes tariffs obsolete. I blame both the Gingrich-Thurmond GOP Congress of the 1990s and the Left's hero Clinton on the all-out assault on American businesses and workers in favor of transnationals that are beholden to no flag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies