Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times

Advertisements

The Federal Reserve Stores $1 Billion In Dollar Coins That No One Wants : NPR

I think congress needs to end this program immediately if it's not working instead of continuing to mint coins that just end up in vaults.

There would be benefits to switching to a dollar coin but the American public clearly doesn't want to. At this point they should just melt these coins down and accept that a dollar coins will never gain acceptance here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

I think congress needs to end this program immediately if it's not working instead of continuing to mint coins that just end up in vaults.

There would be benefits to switching to a dollar coin but the American public clearly doesn't want to. At this point they should just melt these coins down and accept that a dollar coins will never gain acceptance here.
..whether it's paper bills, coins, charms, baubles or trinkets..it's all funny money backed by nothing but the, and get this, 'good faith of the u s government'...just sayin'...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
There is a store in the town i'm working in that gives change with these coins and 2$ bills but with all the idiots working in retail I always get in an argument trying to use them,so I just save em up till I have enough to go to the bank for low intelligence money the idiots recognize.How much does it cost to make a Penney? more than a penny I bet

Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
I'll take a ton off their hands.......

Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
how the hell can they say nobody wants them,, i want them all

Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

Meanwhile they spend who knows how much money to burn currency taken out of circulation because its worn and tattered or a "newer" bill is made like the twenties and hundreds and now I think five dollar bills to avoid forgery. I grew up in Leavenworth and remember they had a building by the VA center that did nothing but burn old worn out paper money.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how the hell can they say nobody wants them,, i want them all
Well they most likely end up back at banks because nobody wants to use em and turned back into the feds. I worked a concession stand for the boys little league game and they had four I think they were Andrew Jackson dollars and I tried to give em back to folks for change and they all thought I was tyring to rip em off. LOL. They still sit in the cash register drawer most likely.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
I don't know why people don't want them but if it's design problem, they should change it. There is a good argument for replacing paper bills for a coin, it saves money. A coin last 25 years where a bill lasts 36 months.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,723 times
Wow. Where I work I am not allowed to Not accept any U.S. currency that is currently in circulation..and I have seen it all...and there is usually someone that wants it too..You just have to ask the right people...but then The Little League Crowd is prolly not the right crowd..unless Grandpa is there. ~

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Wow. Where I work I am not allowed to Not accept any U.S. currency that is currently in circulation..and I have seen it all...and there is usually someone that wants it too..You just have to ask the right people...but then The Little League Crowd is prolly not the right crowd..unless Grandpa is there. ~
Actually they were mixed in with the quarters. Heck I'd never seen em before but had a browinish hue to em which is the only reason I didn't hand em out as quarters. They're just about the same size a little bit larger but can easily be mistaken when mixed all together. I don't even know why the heck they made em, well after reading the OP's link I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies