Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I thought it'd be kinda fun, for the 4th of July, to ask everyone to identify an American from today or in our past that they especially admire. It could be a politician, celebrity, humanitarian, anyone.

This is not an argument thread! If someone chooses Reagan or Obama, please don't criticize it. Just tell us which American you most admire and why. I'll start.

I really admire Franklin Roosevelt. His optimism and some of his policies during the Depression helped boost American spirits and probably kept the Depression from getting worse. Also his leadership during WWII was stellar--along with the generals and our soldiers on the ground. Say what you want about his politics, but he got things done, was a great visionary and a great leader through two of our most difficult crises. Kudos to FDR.

Okay, who's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
My grandfather. A person of little notoriety, he surpasses anyone I can think of. No one in the political arena even comes close to touching his personal integrity.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My grandfather. A person of little notoriety, he surpasses anyone I can think of. No one in the political arena even comes close to touching his personal integrity.
My father. He didn't have an enemy in the world and although he was a very proud Democrat all his friends were conservatives. I used to love being in the coffee shop when he came in the day after a presidential election asking all his buddies for their thanks. That was always because he said they tell us that there are more of us than you so we must have elected that REpublican candidate. Everybody knew he was always trying to get a laugh with things like that.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
for me it would have to be americans, as one just wont do.

1: nikola tesla. the man was a true genius.

2: patton. if it were not for him, the american effort in world war two would have been less effective in many ways. he knew how to motivate the men serving under him.

3: jimmy doolittle. he could do things with a B25 that were never thought of by the designers of the aircraft.

4: chuck yeager. even though he was in severe pain, he still got into the bell X-1 and broke the sound barrier.

5: scott crossfield. flew many sorties in the X-15, garnered many altitude and speed records, and even though he could have disobeyed orders and pushed the aircraft to its limits, he did what he was told to do.

there are many others, but these are the most notable for me.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
On the male side...

Hands down, John Quincy Adams

On the ladies side...

Mary Draper Ingalls - what a woman!

http://www.blueridgecountry.com/arch...er-ingles.html

Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey everyone!

I thought it'd be kinda fun, for the 4th of July, to ask everyone to identify an American from today or in our past that they especially admire. It could be a politician, celebrity, humanitarian, anyone.

This is not an argument thread! If someone chooses Reagan or Obama, please don't criticize it. Just tell us which American you most admire and why. I'll start.

I really admire Franklin Roosevelt. His optimism and some of his policies during the Depression helped boost American spirits and probably kept the Depression from getting worse. Also his leadership during WWII was stellar--along with the generals and our soldiers on the ground. Say what you want about his politics, but he got things done, was a great visionary and a great leader through two of our most difficult crises. Kudos to FDR.

Okay, who's next?
Martin Luther King Jr, for his moral and physical courage, and his sacrifice.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:14 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
The pawns of our Presidents who actually fought in wars because they were told too even if disagreed with the war. Plus those who did fight because they held firmly that they were protecting our freedom.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
On the male side...

Hands down, John Quincy Adams

On the ladies side...

Mary Draper Ingalls - what a woman!

Mary Draper Ingles' Return To Virginia's New River Valley - Favorite Articles - Archive
Why John Quincy Adams? I like his fight against slavery in congress myself. Probably one of the best congressmen we've had.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Why John Quincy Adams? I like his fight against slavery in congress myself. Probably one of the best congressmen we've had.

Ohmygosh, I am so embarrassed! I was in a rush when I posted earlier and did not mean to say "John Quincy" It just flowed off my fingers though, lol. I MEANT to type:

JOHN ADAMS

He was the most brilliant of all the founding fathers!

He believed in American independence with a fierceness that inspired all around him. Jefferson may have physically written our constitution, but Adams authored it.

He was also the "father" of the Navy, and insisted on having one when all around him thought it a silly idea.

He was extremely intelligent, a successful diplomat, the main negoiator for peace with England, believed in living within your means (as an individual and as a nation). He had a reputation for being extremely honest and virtueous.

To quote another source: "his influence emerged through his work as a constitutional lawyer and his intense analysis of historical examples, together with his thorough knowledge of the law and his dedication to the principles of republicanism."

I don't have time to list all his amazing accomplishments, but will say I sure wish we had politicians like him around today.

Sure, Jefferson was an amazing man himself, but he was weak in so many ways. He just could seem to make himself practice what he preached - though what he preached was all very worthwhile stuff (live life simply, live without debt, slavery is wrong, etc...)

Without some of our incredible leaders as a young nation like Adams, Jefferson, Patrick Henry, George Washington - the list could go on, we would not be the nation we are today. Thank God for these early Americans!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
ps - John Quincy was a pretty good president himself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies