Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Pathetic. Union leaders "no comment".

These days, almost anything can get caught in the blender of Wisconsin's union politics.

It can even happen to a Fourth of July parade float honoring firefighters and cops killed on Sept. 11, 2001.

Firefighters union throws cold water on 9-11 float - JSOnline

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-02-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" only, per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The Milwaukee Journal used to be a pretty good paper. That was the worst reported story that I've read in quite some time.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Milwaukee Journal used to be a pretty good paper. That was the worst reported story that I've read in quite some time.
Nice try at attacking the messenger and not the message. I guess you agree with the firefighters boycotting the float then because a guy who made it doesn't want to be in the union.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Hmmmm wonder if union members actually know what their leaders are up to? American Federation of Teachers prez just flew off to Egypt to meed with leaders of the Egyption unions in Cairo that were instrumental in the overthrow there. What the hell is a teacher's union leader doing in Egypt?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Why are you judging all unions by the actions of a couple of individuals?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you an Alinskyite or do you just get a kick out of attacking the messenger and not his message? God, I hope you aren't one of those things.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What is it the couple of individuals are in favor of? Are they standing up for "fair share" or not? Isn't that a bit political? It sure is to me.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Well this is the way "all unions" have been behaving lately. They don't care about those that died in 9-11 just their political agenda. Hell the guy even said he'd hand em the keys but nooooo way.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Because it's the best way to grind their axe. The moment something affects them personally, their tune changes.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Well now ..... this should go in the dictionary of stupid decisions.

What in the world was the Firefighter's Union thinking? Unions already have a really bad reputation in Wisconsin with the non-stop protests about paying toward their health care and pensions. So they decided to ban a Firefighter float honoring Firefighters who worked and died on September 11, 2001 --- all because the Firefighter involved quit the Union (although he still pays dues toward negotiations).

Think as we think
Do as we say
Pay when you are told
Don't ever dare to try and escape the UNION

No circumstances (like a July 4th parade) are above the decisions of the Collective Borg called UNION. Even the Fire Chief said the union would have to decide on the float.

Quote:
"Back then, the public wasn't saying, 'How sad for the union' - they were saying, 'Those were firefighters who died,'" said Matt Gorniak, a Milwaukee-area fire lieutenant who is the driving force behind the float. "That's what this is about. It's above union, nonunion."
Quote:
"It's a good idea to recognize the 10th anniversary of the Trade Center collapse," said Racine Fire Chief Steve Hansen. "People need to know that our jobs are dangerous."

But because he felt he couldn't order his employees to march in the parade with the float, Hansen said he turned the matter over to the union.

Gorniak said Ford, the union president, was on board initially.

"I think he would have hugged me at first," Gorniak said of Ford. The two even agreed to bring in a New York City Fire Department firefighter to march in the parade, with Racine picking up the cost. Gorniak continued, "I was beside myself with joy."

All of that changed a few days later.

"Craig said, 'I've got a question for you: Are you fair share?'" Gorniak said. "I said, 'What does that have to do with anything?' "
It looks like it has everything "to do with anything". Do Union Firefighters support this kind of thing? Are they Firefighters first, or UNION first? Do Union members (working and retired) support this? Is this the Union you originally joined and were proud of?

I remember when a person could be proud of being in a Union, neighbors and community respected members. That respect has gone - it's now Unions against those who pay their salaries since the growth of Public Service unionization. I urge Union members to do some soul searching. Is this really who you are now? or are you just being complacent to Union bosses out of fear.

Unions used to represent 'workers', now they represent 'takers' - just about 12% (less than 5% in the private sector) of the labor force in the USA is union. That means unions really only represent 88% of labor ..... keep that in mind when they claim to protect the rights of workers. They protect (and care about) UNION and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies