Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Apparently some people on your side disagree with you.
What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here are 3 simple ones (out of some 1400).

No business owning gay man (whether legally married in Iowa, in a civil union in New Jersey, or just in a 30 year relationship in Colorado) is exempt from paying unemployment insurance tax on his husband's/partner's wages if he is an employee of his spouse's business. All married heterosexuals in the US who employ their spouse are exempt from paying that tax.

If a gay man joins the military, his spouse/partner is not allowed to live in base housing or shop at the base commissary. A heterosexual's spouse is. Also, a married heterosexual who lives off base is payed an increased housing allowance. A married homosexuals is not - he gets paid less simply because he is gay.

The foreign born spouse of a heterosexual is entitled to a spousal immigration visa so he or she can live in the US and work. The foreign born spouse (or partner) of a homosexual is not and will be deported if found living in the US.
Please Hammer...don't hurt 'em.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This doesn't have to be complicated: If the Catholic Church doesn't like homosexuality, maybe sexually active homosexuals should consider a different religion. Am I missing something?
Not to me you aren't.

But i guess some people are wedded to the idea that they have to remain members of certain churches because they were raised in that particular faith. I think it's stupid myself, but then, i think religion PERIOD is dumb and a colossal waste of time. And trying to belong to something that clearly doesn't want you around when there are other alternatives strikes me as pathetic.

Hell, i'm NOT gay, and was raised in the Catholic church and couldn't run away from it fast enough. Can't see why anyone would be begging for their acceptance. Personally, i WISH they'd officially reject me as a member instead of keeping me on the books. It would be an honor.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Even though this gentleman was a member of the church for decades and left money to the church in his will; he initially was denied funeral services. However after public pressure the church relented and reversed it's initial decision.

Too bad the Catholic Church is not so quick to address it's pedophilia problems but will quickly deny a family funeral rights while they are grieving over their loved one.

A sad commentary on our society, it's values and organized religion. If not for the public outcry the church would never have reversed it's decision.

The homophobic agenda within this country and forum is truly appalling and treating your fellow man this way is something "your God" will make you answer for upon your demise........Love thy neighbor as you love yourself.

I find it ironic the Church was willing to take this man's money all his life and upon his death........

It seems many people loathe themselves as they post lies and misinformation to degrade any and all gay people and posters!

Gay Man Refused Funeral by Catholic Church | News | The Advocate

Diocese Reverses Church's Refusal to Bury Gay Man | Care2 Causes

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/06/san...o-gay-man.html

That's how disgusting religion goes,.

A man has "faith" and they deny his last wish.

That's not love or peace.

Religion is man made. No doubt about that.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here are 3 simple ones (out of some 1400).

No business owning gay man (whether legally married in Iowa, in a civil union in New Jersey, or just in a 30 year relationship in Colorado) is exempt from paying unemployment insurance tax on his husband's/partner's wages if he is an employee of his spouse's business. All married heterosexuals in the US who employ their spouse are exempt from paying that tax.

If a gay man joins the military, his spouse/partner is not allowed to live in base housing or shop at the base commissary. A heterosexual's spouse is. Also, a married heterosexual who lives off base is payed an increased housing allowance. A married homosexuals is not - he gets paid less simply because he is gay.

The foreign born spouse of a heterosexual is entitled to a spousal immigration visa so he or she can live in the US and work. The foreign born spouse (or partner) of a homosexual is not and will be deported if found living in the US.
All related to marriage, AKA the union of a man and a woman. This right is not denied to anyone, straight or gay.

What is so difficult to understand in all this?

I mean, why can't we just marry ourselves and increase our pay and obtain extra allowances and tax breaks? Because of that pesky English word "couple", I suppose. Well if we can redfine "marriage" to mean "any two (and why only two?) humans who agree to benefit from a union", why not redfine marriage as the union of happy me and sad me?

Or me, myself and I? Or the Seven Faces of Eve? Or The Night Has a Thousand Eyes?

Or "a million gin joints in the world, and she has to walk into this one. Play it, Sam..."

Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
All related to marriage, AKA the union of a man and a woman. This right is not denied to anyone, straight or gay.

I mean, why can't we just marry ourselves and increase our pay and obtain extra allowances and tax breaks? Because of that pesky English word "couple", I suppose. Well if we can redfine "marriage" to mean "any two (and why only two?) humans who agree to benefit from a union", why not redfine marriage as the union of happy me and sad me?

Or me, myself and I? Or the Seven Faces of Eve? Or The Night Has a Thousand Eyes?

Or "a million gin joints in the world, and she has to walk into this one. Play it, Sam..."

Moving the goal posts to try and win is dishonest.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

NO you don't need to be wed in a church to be married.

Christans don't hold the lease on marriage.

The Government only registers to keep tabs on a household.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Moving the goal posts to try and win is dishonest.
It's the big leagues, son. And we're the home team.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
NO you don't need to be wed in a church to be married.

Christans don't hold the lease on marriage.

The Government only registers to keep tabs on a household.
You may need to address this to someone else. If a church wedding is required, I'm SOL.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But i guess some people are wedded to the idea that they have to remain members of certain churches because they were raised in that particular faith. I think it's stupid myself, but then, i think religion PERIOD is dumb and a colossal waste of time. And trying to belong to something that clearly doesn't want you around when there are other alternatives strikes me as pathetic.
I agree. And it's not as if we're talking about government discrimination here, or even discrimination by a private company. It's a church.

Personally, I think private companies should be able to discriminate, but I especially think churches should be able to. My only problem with churches is that they are tax-exempt. That needs to change. The government should not be subsidizing religious groups/cults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies