Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,967,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Well if you believe that religion is "imaginary" then why do you idiots care if he was burried by the catholic church or not.
Wow, nonbelievers are "idiots." Way to elevate the discourse. Another fine example of Christian love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,123,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Did you know that there was a time when all states in the US punished the crime of being homosexual with the death penalty? Did you know that until the 1970s the law allowed for homosexuals to be involuntarily committed to mental institutions where they were subjected to such horrors as lobotomies and electric shock treatments? Granted, homosexuals had an easier time at hiding their "affliction" than Black people did, but nonetheless, they have been horribly mistreated over the history of the US when found out.

"I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions."

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

"I believe all Americans who believe in freedom, tolerance and human rights have a responsibility to oppose bigotry and prejudice based on sexual orientation."

-Coretta Scott King
Dr. King's youngest daughter is against gay marriage, whats your point.

I guarantee thats gay rights was not what Dr. King was fighting for. And again don't try and compare 400 years of slavery, segragation, jim crow laws, lynchings, being denied the right to vote, live in certain neighborhoods, being denied to universities, being told to ride in the back of the bus, being refused service at lunch counters. Gays have not had to go through any of that. So stop the B.S. comparisons. I don't ever see gays comparing themselves to jews during the holocust, why bacause jews wouldn't go for that crap.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Dr. King's youngest daughter is against gay marriage, whats your point.

I guarantee thats gay rights was not what Dr. King was fighting for. And again don't try and compare 400 years of slavery, segragation, jim crow laws, lynchings, being denied the right to vote, live in certain neighborhoods, being denied to universities, being told to ride in the back of the bus, being refused service at lunch counters. Gays have not had to go through any of that. So stop the B.S. comparisons. I don't ever see gays comparing themselves to jews during the holocust, why bacause jews wouldn't go for that crap.
Gays were also rounded up and summarily gassed in concentration camps by the Nazis.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Even though this gentleman was a member of the church for decades and left money to the church in his will; he initially was denied funeral services. However after public pressure the church relented and reversed it's initial decision.

Too bad the Catholic Church is not so quick to address it's pedophilia problems but will quickly deny a family funeral rights while they are grieving over their loved one.

A sad commentary on our society, it's values and organized religion. If not for the public outcry the church would never have reversed it's decision.

The homophobic agenda within this country and forum is truly appalling and treating your fellow man this way is something "your God" will make you answer for upon your demise........Love thy neighbor as you love yourself.

I find it ironic the Church was willing to take this man's money all his life and upon his death........

It seems many people loathe themselves as they post lies and misinformation to degrade any and all gay people and posters!

Gay Man Refused Funeral by Catholic Church | News | The Advocate

Diocese Reverses Church's Refusal to Bury Gay Man | Care2 Causes

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/06/san...o-gay-man.html
Who are you to tell them they have to give him a funeral?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Who are you to tell them they have to give him a funeral?
I don't recall the poster you're quoting ever doing that. He or she is just pointing out the disgusting homophobia, bigotry, and hatred on display by this religious institution.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
I don't recall the poster you're quoting ever doing that. He or she is just pointing out the disgusting homophobia, bigotry, and hatred on display by this religious institution.
What about the bigotry of those that are only looking for a reason to get mad at a church?

Like it or not, the church has standards and rules...if you don't follow them, you don't get to be in the club. It's the way the world works.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
What about the bigotry of those that are only looking for a reason to get mad at a church?
That alone is not bigotry (if that person went further and said something like "and therefore this Church should be outlawed, shut down, and it's leaders prosecuted for hate speech", then you'd have a bigot on your hands).

Quote:
Like it or not, the church has standards and rules...if you don't follow them, you don't get to be in the club. It's the way the world works.
I do like that. I'm a fervent supporter and defender of the 1st Amendment. Hence, I'm also very supportive of the right to speak about and bring attention to the hateful, bigoted actions of supposedly moral religious institutions.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
That alone is not bigotry (if that person went further and said something like "and therefore this Church should be outlawed, shut down, and it's leaders prosecuted for hate speech", then you'd have a bigot on your hands).
So is this bigotry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
BTW, most organized religion (along with their followers) deserve to be degraded - at least those of the christian persuasion.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So is this bigotry?
Potentially sounds like the words of a bigot, but I can't be sure. Bigotry is intolerance based on prejudice. I measure intolerance, and hence bigotry, by actions and treatment of others.

For instance. One can disagree with homosexuality and not be an anti-gay bigot. However, when the person treats homosexuals with intolerance, as shown though actions, (not renting an apartment to a gay person, voting or advocating to make it illegal for homosexuals to contract civil marriages or serve in the military or have sex with each other, ending a friendship simply because they find out their friend is gay, etc), then the person is an anti-gay bigot.

Likewise, one can disagree with religiosity and not be an anti-Christian (or Jewish, or Muslim, etc) bigot. However, when the person treats the religious with intolerance, as shown through actions, (not renting an apartment to a Christian, voting or advocating to make it illegal for Christians to marry or serve in the military or have sex with each other, ending a friendship simply because their friend converts to Christianity, etc), then the person is and anti-Christian bigot.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Gays have not had to go through any of that. So stop the B.S. comparisons. I don't ever see gays comparing themselves to jews during the holocust, why bacause jews wouldn't go for that crap.
Right.. Gays have never been beaten, murdered, denied housing and employment, etc. Being gay wasn't a capital offense for much of this country's history. Gays still aren't being executed and imprisoned around the world merely for being gay.

As for the Holocaust, thousands and thousands of gays were directly targeted by the Nazis. I am a Jew, and I condemn the Nazi treatment of gays just as much as their treatment of Jews.

Get a clue already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies