Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes Texas a success story?
Republican values (Conservatism) 26 54.17%
Mexican values (Hard work and cheap labor) 22 45.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

I saw this article today and got me wondering
what makes Texas a success story? Republicans or Mexicans?

Austin tops Forbes' 'Boom Town' list - July 2011

Hispanics guide huge growth in Texas - USATODAY.com - February 2011

Republicans win big in Texas House*|*Ballotnews - November 2010

The list of the Top 10 (Boom towns) are:
  1. Austin
  2. Raleigh, N.C.
  3. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, Tenn.
  4. San Antonio-New Braunfels, Texas
  5. Houston‐Sugar Land‐Baytown, Texas
  6. Washington‐Arlington‐Alexandria, D.C.‐Va.‐Md.‐W.Va.
  7. Dallas‐Fort Worth‐Arlington, Texas
  8. Charlotte‐Gastonia‐Rock Hill, N.C.‐S.C. (tied for No. 8)
  9. Phoenix‐Mesa‐Glendale, Ariz. (tied for No. 8)
  10. Orlando‐Kissimmee‐Sanford, Fla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Neither. I would say it is largely that they missed the housing bubble. The did their oil bubble in the 1980s or so, and so had plenty of housing.

I don't think it is hispanics. Plenty of them in New Mexico, Arizona, and California, which have divergent politics, but are all the in the crapper economically.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-11-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Notice that thte areas of Texas booming are DFW, Houston, etc.....not the Mexican border areas like Laredo, El Paso, etc.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-15-2011 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
[quote=Tom Lennox 70;19977389]Notice that thte areas of Texas booming are DFW, Houston, etc.....not the Mexican border areas like Laredo, El Paso, etc.

Try again.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-15-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Notice that thte areas of Texas booming are DFW, Houston, etc.....not the Mexican border areas like Laredo, El Paso, etc.

Clearly not people with attitudes like this one.

I say it's the low cost of living and job opportunity. I work for a very large international corporation in an office in the DFW area. I probably make the same amount as my counterparts in Boston but can by a house here for just a portion of the price. I am surrounded by transplants at work though, which seems to be common with certain jobs. I've been told that it is hard to find good candidates for certain jobs here and many people relocate for the opportunity and low cost of living.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-15-2011 at 05:31 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Neither. The rest of the country sucks and has plenty of Republicans and Mexicans.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
If Texas is a success, then I choose failure.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Didn't our last President come from Texas? Wasn't he both a Republican and one of the worst Presidents in history?

This one is easy: Mexicans.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
I would say, the success of Texas mainly has to do with a low cost-of-living, which also helps keep down business costs and taxes. Also, large quantities of oil in Texas helped to keep the economy afloat during the recession, as well as the government receiving large sums of money from the 3% tax placed on all oil refined in Texas.

Texas also largely avoided the housing bubble, which had nothing to do with the Texas government btw. It was from a combination of things. Like the relative abundance of cheap land, a lack of gentrification efforts in its major cities, the extreme poverty that exists in much of the state, and the fact that Texas is not exactly the most desirable state for relocation by anyone with money who doesn't have to live there.

Does the existence of Mexicans in Texas play a role in Texas' success? Yes, the cheap labor helps keep down cost of living, which makes Texas businesses more competitive. The existence of Mexicans also helps keep real estate values depressed. Firstly, most people don't want to live by them. Secondly, the illegal-immigrants aren't protected citizens, so they weren't eligible for loans they couldn't afford, nor were they eligible to receive any other government benefits that may have unintentionally helped prop up the housing market.

The Republicans hardly played any role in Texas' relative success. About the only credit you could give them, is that their small-government policies and their fierce opposition to handing out benefits to illegal immigrants, helped keep the housing market depressed and labor prices down. But I highly doubt it was intended for that purpose.

You could certainly argue that the existence of large numbers of illegal Mexican immigrants have helped spur Texas' economic growth. But who wants to live there anyway? At least 80% of Dallas is a total ****hole, the only decent places to live are on the north side of Dallas, and unless you can afford to live in University park, you probably have a 30-40 minute commute to work every day.

San Antonio is nothing but Mexicans and military. Houston is a sprawling nightmare of gated communities and oil refineries.

The only people who live in Texas, are either the poor or the rich. There isn't much room for the middle-class.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I would say, the success of Texas mainly has to do with a low cost-of-living, which also helps keep down business costs and taxes. Also, large quantities of oil in Texas helped to keep the economy afloat during the recession, as well as the government receiving large sums of money from the 3% tax placed on all oil refined in Texas.

Texas also largely avoided the housing bubble, which had nothing to do with the Texas government btw. It was from a combination of things. Like the relative abundance of cheap land, a lack of gentrification efforts in its major cities, the extreme poverty that exists in much of the state, and the fact that Texas is not exactly the most desirable state for relocation by anyone with money who doesn't have to live there.

Does the existence of Mexicans in Texas play a role in Texas' success? Yes, the cheap labor helps keep down cost of living, which makes Texas businesses more competitive. The existence of Mexicans also helps keep real estate values depressed. Firstly, most people don't want to live by them. Secondly, the illegal-immigrants aren't protected citizens, so they weren't eligible for loans they couldn't afford, nor were they eligible to receive any other government benefits that may have unintentionally helped prop up the housing market.

The Republicans hardly played any role in Texas' relative success. About the only credit you could give them, is that their small-government policies and their fierce opposition to handing out benefits to illegal immigrants, helped keep the housing market depressed and labor prices down. But I highly doubt it was intended for that purpose.

You could certainly argue that the existence of large numbers of illegal Mexican immigrants have helped spur Texas' economic growth. But who wants to live there anyway? At least 80% of Dallas is a total ****hole, the only decent places to live are on the north side of Dallas, and unless you can afford to live in University park, you probably have a 30-40 minute commute to work every day.

San Antonio is nothing but Mexicans and military. Houston is a sprawling nightmare of gated communities and oil refineries.

The only people who live in Texas, are either the poor or the rich. There isn't much room for the middle-class.
not true bud....what area of Texas do you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies