Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I don't hide that fact, because there is no point to it. It is also why you can't hide the fact that much of the talking points from you is popular rhetoric from the right.
Really? What are my talking points from the "Right"?

The promotion of land tax, corporate charter reform, removal of corporate liability protection, ending fractional reserve banking, making financial institutions have a dollar of capital for every dollar at risk? That sure sounds like a Rightie.

Just because I don't agree that all of the ills of the world are singly handedly due to a small reduction in taxes in 2001 and 2003 doesn't mean I am promoting any solutions the right are peddling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Nobody made the banks make bad loans and that is not the cause of the recession anyway. It is lack of production. We have a huge trade deficit, until that changes problems will continue.
They were not bad loans to the bank. They were GOVERNMENT INSURED. As a bank owner, your job is to create loans, and you cant get any safer than government guarantees..

Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To figure out why depressions are caused, we need to look at WHY people did what they did. This is all about human behavior. The Community Reinvestment Act told banks to lend mortgage money to people who could not pay it back. This allowed people to buy houses they could not afford. These are the types of things that need to be looked at.
Your understanding of the economic debacle of the 2000s is mind-boggling.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Really? What are my talking points from the "Right"?

The promotion of land tax, corporate charter reform, removal of corporate liability protection, ending fractional reserve banking, making financial institutions have a dollar of capital for every dollar at risk? That sure sounds like a Rightie.

Just because I don't agree that all of the ills of the world are singly handedly due to a small reduction in taxes in 2001 and 2003 doesn't mean I am promoting any solutions the right are peddling.
You didn't like the favor being returned. Picking a few bits and pieces where you might differ from the right may be fine, doesn't help prove anything against sharing common rhetoric with it, however. Even in countries with more than just left and right, you will see shades of gray throughout that I see here. Why do you feel we're no more than just left and right?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Your understanding of the economic debacle of the 2000s is mind-boggling.
Whats mind boggling is you not knowing that DRob is correct.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats mind boggling is you not knowing that DRob is correct.
Well, considering you ride-share the boat with him, I'm not surprised. It was CRA... LOL.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The rich have stolen 40% of the economy in the last 10 years. It wasn't this way 10-15 years ago, two decades ago a family could live on what Dad made, now both have to work to afford Chinese Crap from WALMART. This is making America a Third World Country. The Koreans come here for cheap labor yet the right defends this as the American Way. Being exploited is NOT the American Way
Really?!

I never felt exploited.

I felt employed.

I felt like I was pulling my weight.

The richer my bosses got, the more I worked.

The wealthier I make the owners of the company that I work for, the richer I become.

Everything that I have is due to people of greater wealth than I have.

Capitalism is boss!

It takes a winner to realize that.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Well, considering you ride-share the boat with him, I'm not surprised. It was CRA... LOL.
Hilarious.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
What has company ownership to do with income disparity between the very wealthy and the middle class. Please connect the dots.

First, I don't care about the "disparity between the very wealthy and the middle class". I don't care what Bill Gates and Al Gore have. I don't care if George Soros has $100 billion or $500 billion. That has no impact on me.

Second, a lot of uneducated people and politicians like Nancy Pelosi rail on corporations who make lots of money. They fail to realize that most of that money goes into middle American retirement savings plans. Corporate profits have transferred billions into the hands of middle America.

Maybe some people don't realize that it is possible to save for your OWN retirement... and not rely on our bloated government.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The great American myth is prosperity for the few is prosperity for the many. Dividends dispersed in a pension fund are not the same as dividends in a big investor's pocket. Given the reduction in wealth earned by the working and middle class has prevented almost all individuals from saving enough income producing capital to be able to actually stop working after retirement.

IF you consider an income of $3,000 per month to be an adequate retirement how much money needs to be saved by that individual over a 40 year lifetime at the 50th percentile income. Would someone please provide some numbers.

Regardless of the numbers, millions of Americans have saved for their retirement on very low incomes. It can be done, but requires self discipline. Many low income people don't save for retirement because they prefer to spend their money on cable TV and i-phones...... and then rely on taxpayers to support them later.

If you refuse to save for YOUR retirement, why do you expect me to save for both MY retirement and YOUR retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies