Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,278,414 times

Advertisements

Nice photoshop image!

By the way it didn't matter if you were a Democrat or Repubublican.

Most members of the KKK and other extreme racist organizations were in the past and now are CONSERVATIVES.

The 1960's saw the Southern CONSERVATIVE Democrats being lured over to the Republican Party to CONSERVATIVES like Barry Goldwater.

Notice I didn't say Democrats or Republicans I said CONSERVATIVES.

Prior to the 1960's you could find Northern Republican moderates and even liberal REPUBLICANS as well as CONSERVATIVES. At the same time you had Northern Liberal Democrats and Southern CONSERVATIVE DEMOCRATS.

Then came the civil rights era.

What happened? Republican CONSERVATIVES saw a chance to appeal to Southern Democrat CONSERVATIVES based on the issue of civil rights and states rights and the perception that the federal governments stance on civil rights encroach on the power of states. Southern Democrats were absolutely infuriated by President Lyndon B. Johnson's support of the Civil Rights Act. Southern Democrat CONSERVATIVES united behind the Republican candidate, Barry Goldwater.

Barry Goldwater

Quote:
In 1964, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that emphasized "states' rights."[15] Goldwater's 1964 campaign was a magnet for conservatives since he opposed interference by the federal government in state affairs. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation and had supported the original senate version of the bill, Goldwater made the decision to oppose the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His stance was based on his view that the act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of states and, second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose.[16]

All this appealed to white Southern Democrats, and Goldwater was the first Republican to win the electoral votes of the Deep South states (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina) since Reconstruction. However, Goldwater's vote on the Civil Rights Act proved devastating to his campaign everywhere outside the South (besides Dixie, Goldwater won only in Arizona, his home state), contributing to his landslide defeat in 1964.
Barry Goldwater a Republican CONSERVATIVE became the galvanizing force to move all CONSERVATIVES TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. A key element of this was a political strategy known as the "Southern Strategy".

Quote:
Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to Nixon political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[2] but merely popularized it.[3] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[4]

While Phillips sought to polarize ethnic voting in general, and not just to win the white South, the South was by far the biggest prize yielded by his approach. Its success began at the presidential level, gradually trickling down to statewide offices, the Senate and House, as some legacy segregationist Democrats retired or switched to the GOP. In addition, the Republican Party worked for years to develop grassroots political organizations across the South, supporting candidates for local school boards and offices, for instance.
Following the Watergate scandal, there was broad support for the Southern Democrat Jimmy Carter in the 1976 election.

From 1948 to 1984 the Southern states, traditionally a stronghold for the Democrats, became key swing states, providing the popular vote margins in the 1960, 1968 and 1976 elections. During this era, several Republican candidates expressed support for states' rights, which some critics claim was a "codeword" of opposition to federal enforcement of civil rights for blacks and intervention on their behalf, including passage of legislation to protect the franchise.[5]
Lee Atwater a Republican political strategist for Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush described the Southern Strategy like this.

Lee Atwater

Quote:
As a member of the Reagan administration in 1981, Atwater gave an anonymous interview to Political Scientist Alexander P. Lamis. Part of this interview was printed in Lamis' book The Two-Party South, then reprinted in Southern Politics in the 1990s with Atwater's name revealed. Bob Herbert reported on the interview in the 6 October 2005 edition of the New York Times. Atwater talked about the GOP's Southern Strategy and Ronald Reagan's version of it:

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "N****r, n****r, n****r." By 1968 you can't say "n****r" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****r, n****r."[6][7]

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM

589 posts, read 754,870 times
David Duke = Eric Holder in many ways. Just different skin color between them, but they both have their biases.

Eric likes to let Black Panthers go free, even when they threaten innocent white people with death at voting booths.

David Duke would [likely] ignore black issues if he were to be elected.

All in all, we already have bigots in office. It just so happens that they are either black [eric holder] or hispanic [Sonia Sotomayor].

Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,027,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Our Campaigns - KS Governor - D Primary Race - Aug 04, 1998 (http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=216670 - broken link)

Phelps also ran for gov. of KS in 1998, he got 15,233 Democrat votes in the primary.

He also ran for gov. in 1990

Our Campaigns - KS Governor - D Primary Race - Aug 07, 1990 (http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=373492 - broken link)

That time around he got 11,572 Democrat votes.

I could keep this up all night, would you like to continue or have you had enough of failing for the night?
You link a website called "Our Campaigns" where posters just send in what they think (from the about page "I decided to put together a site where the users help create the site's content" instead of things that are actually fact checked) instead of the actual official polling numbers?

Is this like the list of the night where you link the most laughable references imaginable and we see who actually believes them?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,929,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Most members of the KKK and other extreme racist organizations were in the past and now are CONSERVATIVES.
Biggest line of BS I've read in my entire life.. Why dont you back it up with ANYTHING..

I completely ignored the other bs, like your claim that Goldwater supported states rights because they were appealing to racism, because you should be embarassed to even come up with that amount of crap.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,929,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You link a website called "Our Campaigns" where posters just send in what they think (from the about page "I decided to put together a site where the users help create the site's content" instead of things that are actually fact checked) instead of the actual official polling numbers?

Is this like the list of the night where you link the most laughable references imaginable and we see who actually believes them?
If you think the link with figures are wrong, then maybe you should provide a source to backup your claims.. NOPE.. Nothing here.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,027,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you think the link with figures are wrong, then maybe you should provide a source to backup your claims.. NOPE.. Nothing here.
No, the burden of proof is on the claimant...it's part of the definition of the term. Asking for official poll numbers is not out of the question at any point.

My sources are already referenced at the beginning of the thread, from a well regarded and known site. Not some random website no one has ever heard of before. To ask for references and then claim in the same sentence that there are none is about as dishonest as anyone can get.

Not that I expect any less, but still I had hoped for more.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,830,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

I guess you just missed post #40 by accident.

//www.city-data.com/forum/19892946-post40.html

Wait, let me guess... you don't have a computer so I'm supposed to print and fax it to you so you can come up with some other BS reason why you should ignore facts. Sometimes it's hard to take you lefties seriously when you compete to see who can be the most obtuse.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,278,414 times
Quote:
Biggest line of BS I've read in my entire life.. Why dont you back it up with ANYTHING..

I completely ignored the other bs, like your claim that Goldwater supported states rights because they were appealing to racism, because you should be embarassed to even come up with that amount of crap.
Did Barry Goldwater oppose the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Yes!

Did Southerners vote for Barry Goldwater in 1964 based on his opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Yes!

The maps tell the story.

Here is the election map of 1960

Here is the election map for 1964

After 1964 the only time Democrats did well in the South is when SOUTHERN DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS JIMMY CARTER AND BILL CLINTON RAN FOR President.

Also:

Just go to Stormfront.org sometime and read some of the posts.

They actively urge their members to VOTE CONSERVATIVE.

They encourage their members to TRY TO RECRUIT TEA PARTY MEMBERS WHO MIGHT BE RECEPTIVE TO THEIR MESSAGE.

Also the COUNCIL of CONSERVATIVE CITIZENS was a organization which specifically used political means to surpress the political and economic power in the South.

Council of Conservative Citizens

Quote:
The Council of Conservative Citizens (CofCC) is an American political organization that supports a large variety of conservative and paleoconservative causes in addition to white nationalism,[1] and white separatism.[2] Several members of the CofCC Board of Directors are former leaders of the segregationist Citizens' Councils of America, founded by Major Bob Patterson, which is commonly referred to as the White Citizens' Council.[3] The organization is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. Other US states with active chapters include Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, California and New York. Sporadic CofCC activities occur in other parts of the country as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,830,424 times
Quote:
He doesn't think the figures are wrong, he just doesn't want to believe that they're right. He has no source, he has no claims to back up and he has no proof that anything I posted is anything but 100% fact. He'll continue to act like it's all fake because that's his only defense, ignore and deflect... it's the modern lefty mantra.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
Were they, or were they not, following the laws of the land? There was a time when the Supreme Court ruled slavery was legal as well..
Ahh...so i should give Thurmond a pass (like you're doing) because he was only following the law. Nevermind that what he was doing was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies