Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I read that same study, but I don't know where you got the part about better vision. The part of the brain that has to do with vision is in the back of the brain and those with larger occipital buns in the back of their heads(like Austrailian aborigines) have better visual accuity. The reason that people in colder climates have larger skulls is because in tropical climates, the size of the skull is limited because of the heat. Smaller heads disipate heat better, while larger heads retain heat.

Also the size of a whale's brain is not a good comparison to humans. The issue is brain to body size ratio, not simply the actual physical size of the brain.
I doubt you read the same study as the one I read is all about the vision aspect. It is in German, thus I did not add the link, but here it is anyway...
Anpassung an Lichtverhältnisse: Nordlichter haben größere Gehirne - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Wissenschaft

When you compare different peoples of the same latitude, for instance near the equator, you will notice their skull size varies quite a bit. So, it can't be the heat. The rest of the body is much more suitable to take care of heat dissipation and such stuff.

In terms of brain to body mass, that is not a very meaningful indicator as there are so many factors and exceptions.
The elephant brain for instance is special in that the regions responsible for smelling and hearing are unusually big, reflecting the extreme power of those senses in elephants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I read that same study, but I don't know where you got the part about better vision. The part of the brain that has to do with vision is in the back of the brain and those with larger occipital buns in the back of their heads(like Austrailian aborigines) have better visual accuity. The reason that people in colder climates have larger skulls is because in tropical climates, the size of the skull is limited because of the heat. Smaller heads disipate heat better, while larger heads retain heat.

Also the size of a whale's brain is not a good comparison to humans. The issue is brain to body size ratio, not simply the actual physical size of the brain.
well vision is not always perfect and without the help of contacts or glasses alot of people would have bad vision. I mean without my contacts I can't read a freeway sign past 5-6 car lengths without them

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I doubt you read the same study as the one I read is all about the vision aspect. It is in German, thus I did not add the link, but here it is anyway...
Anpassung an Lichtverhältnisse: Nordlichter haben größere Gehirne - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Wissenschaft

When you compare different peoples of the same latitude, for instance near the equator, you will notice their skull size varies quite a bit. So, it can't be the heat. The rest of the body is much more suitable to take care of heat dissipation and such stuff.

In terms of brain to body mass, that is not a very meaningful indicator as there are so many factors and exceptions.
The elephant brain for instance is special in that the regions responsible for smelling and hearing are unusually big, reflecting the extreme power of those senses in elephants.
Yeah, I was referring to another study, the one that debunked Stephen J. Gould that came out last month.

PLoS Biology: The Mismeasure of Science: Stephen Jay Gould versus Samuel George Morton on Skulls and Bias

With regards to different skull sizes for those populations near the equator, I assume this is because of separate lineages. Some populations like Malays and MesoAmericans are relative newcomers to that lattitude compared to sub-Saharan Africans and Papuans.

And I will try to read through the Spiegel article when get off work and comment on that then.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM

Oh yes, skull size measurement, a historically charged discipline

Regarding vision, there are also studies that suggest there is a link between myopia and intelligence based on genetics...

Last edited by Neuling; 07-27-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Loved this series of books!
The first book, especially and other not as much also had very detailed research done on the world, the plants and climate and animals. That made it rather magical to be able to see the world as some other time had. Part of looking at how a people or species lived is seeing the world as they did. All that detail added a lot to the story.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I just read an interesting article. Scientists have found out the farther to the poles, the bigger the eyes and brains.
With animal species that was no secret, but it also seems to apply to humans. Scandinavians and north Asians have the biggest brains, simply because the reduced intensity and duration of sunshine required an improved vision system. This includes the part of the brain responsible for seeing.
However, the bigger brain volume has nothing to do with intelligence. Whales also have huge brains, not least to the enlarged regions associated with certain senses.
That evolution took only a few tens of thousands of years, which is pretty fast.

I am mentioning that in this thread because there have been comments on the bigger brains of Neanderthals compared to modern humans. Maybe senses had something to do with that difference, not intelligence.
It's the convergence of the increase in human brain capacity and intelligence (as evidenced by improved tools and a giant leap in creativity) and the sharing of genes with the Neanderthal which is most noted. With increased brain capacity, if a greater ability to sense was not a survival trait and didn't take, the *capacity* remains and the other portions of the brain which do pertain with have the space to enlarge.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
+1

Don't get too excited.

Most African-Americans are bi-racial.

‪DNA proves many African americans are WHITE ancestrally ! TRUTH!‬‏ - YouTube

If whites are mixed with Neanderthals, so are most American blacks.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think Neanderthals are still among us. I think it's hard to believe that humans and Neanderthals had no contact.
Looking at Mike Tyson, I'd say there still some purebred neanderthals out there.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think Neanderthals are still among us. I think it's hard to believe that humans and Neanderthals had no contact.
Sure are.

Look at the far-right loonies like the KKK and Aryan Brotherhood and CSAotL, April Gaede and her flock of wierdos trying to make an Aryan nation in the Pacific Northwest, Stormfront, fundamental Christians and Muslims, etc.

Look at the far-left communists who in the last century killed millions of people and probably hundreds of thousands of doctors, teachers, military officers, etc. in the name of the working man in China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Russia, North Korea, Laos, and Eastern Europe.

Finally, take a look at elected officials and appointees in the US, none of whom I would trust with plunging a toilet, much less running the world's economic powerhouse (which probably won't be for much longer) and protecting our "freedoms" from "foreign" threats, when we really should be looking inward and solving our own Goddamned problems. They give away money to people who hate us, they give away food to people who sell it instead of giving it to the poor like it should go, banning nuclear energy and encouraging environmentally destructive practices such as drilling for oil and fracking for natural gas..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Neanderthal is alive and well in modern times.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM

According to a recent article in Science magazine modern humans by far outnumbered, probably simply outbred Neanderthals within a relatively short period of time. Maybe they had a different religion, some kind of fertility cult that made them have many more kids than Neanderthals had.

Tenfold Population Increase in Western Europe at the Neandertal
Maybe you have a subscription...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies