Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
one thing is for certain the USPS is run by idiots.

I could turn that operation around in 30 seconds. just quadruple the cost of junk mail to the sender.

everybody wins.
Well right now junk mail has higher volumes than regular mail..sad isn't it that the USPS is there to deliver junk mail to you....

The postal service is running out of options - Business - US business - Bloomberg Businessweek - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
UPS has been outstanding on deliveries in my area. 3-4 day service with "standard" shipping, while USPS deliveries have been over a week. UPS always makes it up my driveway, even when snowy and icy-not so with Fed Ex, who has us pick up packages in town.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Post office workers are the most unhelpful, ignorant, entitled people in the world.
Maybe you should go to another branch, I find my branch to be not only fast, courteous, efficient and extremely helpful, but a fun bunch to be around. Have you ever considered that it might be you and not them?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
UPS has been outstanding on deliveries in my area. 3-4 day service with "standard" shipping, while USPS deliveries have been over a week. UPS always makes it up my driveway, even when snowy and icy-not so with Fed Ex, who has us pick up packages in town.
Because of the monopoly USPS is delivering to every house in the nation on an almost daily basis, that's not the case with private operations. Knowing you're going to make a delivery at every house on street is huge benefit in streamlining and making things much more efficient. If this market was opened up to private industry they would be able to expand their services.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well right now junk mail has higher volumes than regular mail..sad isn't it that the USPS is there to deliver junk mail to you....

There was article I read a while back about some guy who signed up for anything he could find to get himself on mailing lists. He had huge amounts of junk mail coming to house which he used to heat it. LOL

Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the postal service has its place. where it failed was when it started to get involved with large package shipments, which most people use ups and fedex with.

they need to stick with letter mail delivery and leave it at that.
They should just let Fedex or UPS take over and charge WHAT IT COSTS to ship a letter. The masssive pension obligations are just another noose around this countries neck.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
They do a much better job of many international shipments than does Fedex or UPS. They're also more convenient for the average person.

And they are also losing money hand over foot. The reason Congress put the pre-financing requirement on the USPS pension system is because even those dummies could see the financial tsunami that their pension system has become.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
See, that is what kinda ticks me off, people say "Well, I can send a letter across the country, 1st class for 44 cents via USPS.....if UPS or Fedex was running things it would cost at least buck" .

Well guess what...................the damn post office, in a lot of cases, is shipping your fricken letter and charging you A LOT LESS THAN IT COST THEM TO SORT, PROCESS, DELIVER...ETC, ETC. Same thing with their package services. Why is it good to have a government function such as mail/package delivery that is losing money..............fricken charge what it cost+some profit like UPS and FEDEX do. If a letter is delivered to a high cost location CHARGE MORE.......no good losing money on high cost deliveries. Do Americans feel entitled to low cost postal service even if it means the USPS loses money hand over foot? Greedy Geezers would riot if they had to pay the real costs of shipping their snail mail.

It may appear that USPS is doing things Cheaper than the other Shippers.........but............that is not the case......the shortfalls are coming out of someones pockets.

Federal Eye - Postal Service posts $8.5 billion loss

The cash-strapped U.S. Postal Service delivered more bad news Friday, announcing it lost $8.5 billion in the fiscal year that ended in September. Without congressional action to change its obligations, officials said, the Postal Service likely will go broke at the end of fiscal 2011.
We keep hearing this nonsense over, and over, and over.. The ONLY reason they have a loss, is because they have to fund their pension liabilities 100%..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I ship in UPS letter envelopes, simple non rush stuff consisting of one sheet of paper - cost $12.50 ish, usually a dozen at a time.

The USPS could have it there with one stamp for less than 50 cents.

It's a corporate racket, uh contract......go figure.

Like the Next Day Letter service UPS offers. It goes all over the USA, even for a cross town address.

Waste of fuel if ya ask me....

Uh, re-read my original post. The USPS may CHARGE you 50 cents..............but................many times that is not enough to cover their costs.................is that really good business practice....................NO Way.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
And they are also losing money hand over foot. The reason Congress put the pre-financing requirement on the USPS pension system is because even those dummies could see the financial tsunami that their pension system has become.
Not at all true. The reason Congress put the pre-financing requirements on the USPS pension system, was because the USPS employees used to be federal employees, and by mandating the USPS fund them, this relieves the taxpayers from the burden. The USPS is paying for expenses the Federal government SPENT

Dead Tree Edition: December Was Profitable for U.S. Postal Service

The Postal Service is still on track to lose billions of dollars this year, mostly because of a mandated subsidy to the federal government (euphemistically referred to as prepayment of retiree health benefits).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies